Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Man murdered at internet cafe while gamers

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm no hero but a hot cup of coffee in the face of the attacker then a chair broken over his head would have probably done the trick.

I agree with other posters that helping others in danger should not be a thought process but an obvious immediate reaction.

As in the past, I will aid others, I just hope if I ever need some help from strangers it will be there.

Realistically, probably not, but I feel better believing people are basically good and would want to help.

#47    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,140 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostMichelle, on 15 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

You can't exactly dictate who would survive any plague you think should devour the majority of the world's population. It could turn out like the Mad Max movies. I don't find your supposed reasoning logical in any way, shape or form. Speaking of terrorists, it's a very twisted view and would make you highly suspect if I believed there was any backbone behind it. Besides "wishing for a plague" I don't know of anything you do, in the many posts that I have read, to help the environment in which your children and grandchildren are going to grown up in.

I tend to avoid most of your posts because I so avidly disagree with you on most points it becomes irritating and that is not what I come here for.

You are right, who knows what any survivors would end up doing, if any at all.

The reason I say " we need a plague " is I feel we are so out of control, there is no other option to avoid ruining any chance of long term, stable, healthy, and enjoyable future for our offspring. ( and a lot of other life on this planet )They deserve to have that, and I do not see it from everything that is happening, at an alarming, increasing rate.

No, I could not dictate who survives, and who does not. In a way, you were correct, " we " as people need to " start over ". A lesson needs to be handed out, a " wake up call ". People are in such a fantasy land anymore, and ignore what we are doing, to each other, to the environment, and to our future.

As for not agreeing with most of my posts, that is what happens in discussions. If everyone agreed all the time, it would be a wonderful world wouldn't it?  :)

I disagree with that though, not sure if you have seen how many " likes " I have given you. As a matter of fact, I did not reply to many things you posted in, I liked them, and did not reply as you stated exactly how I felt.

As a " terrorist ", sorry, not my style to kill innocent people, or anyone for that matter. I can not even kill animals or bugs anymore.

Now, if being a martyr for a revolution were a possibility, maybe, if I new there were enough people backing it up. ( martyr as in being arrested )

View PostChewiesArmy, on 16 April 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

The people on flight 93 knew what the intention of the hijackers was. They knew that they were going to die and that their plane was probably going to be used to kill even more innocent people. The passengers on the 1st two planes had no idea what was going to happen. They were told there was a bomb on the plane and, up until that point, most hijackings ended without planes being flown into buildings. Had they known, I'm sure they would've done something similar.

But you are right, some people have it and some people don't. I might not have jumped between the two and taken a stab wound, but I would have done something, like Hilander said, I would've at least thrown a chair, or computer, a shoe...anything. But I don't see somebody not helping as them being selfish.

I understand the situation. I just do not get how 4 to 6 people with box cutters can get away with that. I mean, I do understand, but do not see 50 people I know not jumping them, bomb or not.

View PostChewiesArmy, on 16 April 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

Who knows....maybe he can! I better start "liking" all his posts.

No, I can not, and if had the ability, would not.

Edited by Sakari, 16 April 2013 - 06:33 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#48    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,140 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 16 April 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I'm no hero but a hot cup of coffee in the face of the attacker then a chair broken over his head would have probably done the trick.

I agree with other posters that helping others in danger should not be a thought process but an obvious immediate reaction.

As in the past, I will aid others, I just hope if I ever need some help from strangers it will be there.

Realistically, probably not, but I feel better believing people are basically good and would want to help.

:nw:   :nw:   :nw:   :clap:   :clap:   :tsu:   :tsu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#49    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think I see where Sakari is coming from but I just think it is due to media overload.  Selfish people have been with us since our ancestors its only now that short videos and facebook and worldstar can broadcast stuff which is usually of a negative nature in a matter of seconds that we can truly see how far we have sunk with respect to our fellow man.  I was at that point a few years ago with respect to the youngsters now that they want everything handed to them but after working in a university, I have to disagree, to a point.  While there are those that snap their fingers to get your attention and demand things be done for them, there were also many students that were respectful and helped others in need (not to the point of being at knife point but just general stuff).  There's equal amounts of those that are there to help and those that will snap a picture of you laying in pain, dying or worse try to rob you in that condition...

#50    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostSakari, on 14 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

In situations like this topic, and most stiuations, you do not need to be trained in anatomy, and hand to hand combat......Are you a Ninja?

2 or more people could easily help out, with no training, and turn the one on one into a 3 or 4 on 1, now on the attacker....No brains needed to help a brother or sister out.

I didn't say anybody needed to be trained in those things, I said it would help to know a little bit.

Learn the difference.

Posted Image

#51    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,140 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostMantis914, on 16 April 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

I think I see where Sakari is coming from but I just think it is due to media overload.  Selfish people have been with us since our ancestors its only now that short videos and facebook and worldstar can broadcast stuff which is usually of a negative nature in a matter of seconds that we can truly see how far we have sunk with respect to our fellow man.  I was at that point a few years ago with respect to the youngsters now that they want everything handed to them but after working in a university, I have to disagree, to a point.  While there are those that snap their fingers to get your attention and demand things be done for them, there were also many students that were respectful and helped others in need (not to the point of being at knife point but just general stuff).  There's equal amounts of those that are there to help and those that will snap a picture of you laying in pain, dying or worse try to rob you in that condition...

It is not media at all. It is seeing things, personally. It is also the News ( not youtube, but real events ). I can not say I have personaly been around the world. I have seen enough to be solid with my opinion though.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#52    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,140 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostNathan DiYorio, on 16 April 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I didn't say anybody needed to be trained in those things, I said it would help to know a little bit.

Learn the difference.

To " know a little bit " takes " learning "......Or, another word for it is " training ".....

Why would that reply upset you?

I must have read the below reply wrong then....Hmmmm

View PostNathan DiYorio, on 14 April 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Been there more than once before I even graduated from my Freshmen year of high school.

Disarming somebody who has a short range weapon, such as a knife (does not count for larger knives such as machetes) is more about being calm and studying how your opponent is moving than it is about being particularly well versed in techniques. Although knowing anatomy can help as well, because for tougher individuals it might just be easier to eat the blade in a part of you where it won't do much damage, then grab the attacker's arms so they can't pull it out.

Again, I wouldn't recommend unarmed disarm if your assailant is using a very large knife. I primarily encountered knives of six inches or shorter. The instances where a larger weapon was used, I found it best to be armed with something bigger and play keep away.

Out of curiosity, how did you become so un-lucky to be involved in so many knife fights, large and small?.......And what were you armed with that was larger ?

I find it odd for someone to have that many encounters, and more odd that someone is armed with " something bigger " ?

Either way, does not matter. No harm meant.

Edited by Sakari, 16 April 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#53    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Maybe they could have just called the cops.  Or showed a little Concern for the guy after the fact by calling the ambulance or trying to staunch any blood flow...or something instead of just standing around looking at him.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#54    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

I live in Australia. I would honestly be hesitant in helping another from a fight as I would defending myself. Problem is, if some lowlife attacks you here and you retaliate and he falls over and hits his head on the pavement and becomes serverely injured or even dies. Even though that was in no way your intention, your life is pretty much ruined. That's "justice" for you. Our world has really gone down the toilet.

#55    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

View PostSakari, on 16 April 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, how did you become so un-lucky to be involved in so many knife fights, large and small?.......And what were you armed with that was larger ?

I find it odd for someone to have that many encounters, and more odd that someone is armed with " something bigger " ?

It wasn't unlucky, it was me being stupid. I tried to impress the wrong people and make friends in the wrong places, and when you intentionally seek the dark parts of your town, you find them. I don't think anybody who wasn't a moron would have wound up in these situations.

Larger things were typically of the mop handle variety. Big knives are fun, but not if I break your ribs :P I'm not so handy with knives, offensively. In the kitchen, though, I'm pretty nifty!

As for learning and training, they're totally different. You can learn on your own, training connotates being taught.

The reply upset me because I have some bad days. Sorry.

Posted Image

#56    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,640 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 17 April 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

I live in Australia. I would honestly be hesitant in helping another from a fight as I would defending myself. Problem is, if some lowlife attacks you here and you retaliate and he falls over and hits his head on the pavement and becomes serverely injured or even dies. Even though that was in no way your intention, your life is pretty much ruined. That's "justice" for you. Our world has really gone down the toilet.
It shouldn't be like that for trying to defend yourself or someone else.

#57    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostHilander, on 18 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

There's a similar issue here in the US. You can be tried for "Excessive Force" if your assailant ends up more worse for wear than yourself.

Posted Image

#58    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

• For every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

That is pretty crazy that no one bothered to help. Reminds me of that time I went to an internet cafe to use the printer and some hobo came in yelling and screaming...I looked around to see what was happening and no one budged from their seats they were still playing their games,I was the only one who cared for my safety so I ran out lol.

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”

#59    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostHilander, on 18 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I'd be all for helping other people or just plain defending yourself as anyone would. But in the eyes of the law, those who sometimes act accordingly get put under the boot even if they had no intentions of causing trouble or harm whatsoever. It's a scary situation. A walk to the local store could turn into a life sentence just because you defended yourself from an assailant.

#60    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Seriously Taiwan ? Fail

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users