Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do You Favor Increased Fuel Prices?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,534 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

BTW, I asked a good Democrat (who sings the party line) in an earlier thread, just how much oil was leaked during Katrina. He chose not to respond.

The answer was zero.

The answer may not be enormous but it most certainly is not zero.

The data is categorized by storm and source locations, and captures all spills one barrel or larger from federal OCS facilities that resulted from damages  related to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.  As a result of both storms, 124 spills were reported with a total volume of roughly 17,700 barrels of total petroleum products, of which about 13,200 barrels were crude oil and condensate from platforms, rigs and pipelines, and 4,500 barrels were refined products from platforms and rigs.

#32    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

I stand corrected, thank you.

"Hurricane Katrina was a Category 5 hurricane when it entered the OCS, destroying 46 platforms and damaging 20 others, making landfall August 29, 2005. There were about 211 minor pollution incidents reported to MMS. Minor pollution incidents are categorized as incidents involving less than 500 barrels of oil that do not reach the coast line. Hurricane Rita was a Category 4 hurricane when it entered the OCS and destroyed 69 platforms and damaged 32 others, making landfall on September 24, 2005.

Hurricane Rita was the costliest and one of the deadliest in United States history.........

It is possible Rita was the largest hurricane of its strength to ever approach the United States in recorded history; its sheer size caused devastation over 100 miles from the center of the storm."

Again, thank you for correcting my contention. Minor leakage that never reached shore, from a historically devastating storm doesn't preclude me from desiring increased off-shore oil production.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users