Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you poisoning your pet?

ouija ouija

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2546512/How-pet-food-killing-dog-feeding-parsnips-yoghurt.html

I guess in our hearts we all knew this: manufactured pet food is just a way for the manufacturers to make some money out of floor sweepings and stuff that should really be thrown away.

• Like 2

Not much different to the processed stuff they are selling to humans.

People know the score, but convenience overtakes.

Guarateed those feeding their dogs the floor remnants are the same people who are eating the sausages/mince also made from the same floor remnants.

I do not buy any mince, we mince our own meat bought from the local butcher who gets the meat from the local farm.

Ok, so we have to travel a little further, but I guess its worth it if it does not cut short ours or our dogs years. We do feed our dog fresh veg aswell as meat.

The manufacturers know damn well they can and do make a fortune out of peoples laziness.

http://www.dailymail...ps-yoghurt.html

I guess in our hearts we all knew this: manufactured pet food is just a way for the manufacturers to make some money out of floor sweepings and stuff that should really be thrown away.

And yet both canine and feline life expectancy is increasing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/life-arts/pets-qa/pets-qa-average-lifespan-of-cats-dogs-increasing-20130906

Can I also point out that the author, Jonathan Self, started and is part owner of a natural/organic dog food company. Shouldn't the Daily Mail have disclosed that at the beginning of the article?

• Like 3

Ok, why would one spray tea with fat, no matter what kind it is?

Tea also means dinner here, but knowing the daily mail, they could have meant the drink.

• Like 2

All of our pets are switched from mass-produced kibbles with crap in them, to higher rated foods with no by-products or grains. Not necessarily "organic" foods, but they at least don't have the fillers that carnivores can't deal with. My mom raises collies, and with almost every single buyer she's noticed that all of their dogs die young from liver or kidney disorders. What do they feed? Low-dollar kibbles like Iams and Purina. We send samples of our foods with them and encourage them to find a local dealer with foods that rate highly for natural proteins and zero questionable content.

Same goes for my horses. No more whole grains, and no corn. People are torturing their animals with their diets, it's bad enough that they don't understand human nutrition and are killing themselves... but to do it to an animal that has no choice in what it's fed is entirely different. I think we should all be a bit more proactive in nutrition, not just for ourselves, but also the animals we're responsible for.

• Like 5

I remember my dad worked for a factory that made pet foods. One day they had a delivery of meat so rank, they refused it. The fast food outlet down the road accepted it. We don't know what we're putting inside ourselves unless we're careful. But you can be sure its likely a damn site worse than the food we put in our pets.

• Like 1

One sensible idea in NZ for rabbit control was to cull them and process the meat for dog food. People might remember that Farmers lobbied for myxamotosis and pushed against allowing hunters to access their land. These long winded delay tactics lead to a successful introduction of the virus onto NZ soil by a farmer who smuggled contaminated rabbit blood from Australia on his handkerchief. Damn politicians and their personnel agendas!

Raw meat would be most of the wolf's diet and I have to believe that pet owners would be far more afraid of feeding their dogs raw meat than processed dog foods. It would require some schooling to understand how to safely prepare a better diet for a pet in the kitchen. I think Stormcrow makes a great point about grains in pet diets and I can see pet owners everywhere mistakenly spending more to get their dogs "whole grain" food products which are causing more harm than good.