Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA May Have Invented a Warp Drive

Taun

Not sure if this should be in Science and Technolgy - or Space Exploration... But here goes...

The EmDrive, an experimental propulsion device, may be producing a warp field.

According to posts on the NASA Space Flight forum, when lasers were fired into the EmDrive resonance chamber, it was found that some of the beams were travelling faster than the speed of light.

If this is true, then it would mean that the EmDrive is producing a warp field or bubble. A forum post says that "this signature (the interference pattern) on the EmDrive looks just like what a warp bubble

looks like. And the math behind the warp bubble apparently matches the interference pattern found in the EmDrive."

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but it could mean that NASA is one step closer to achieving faster than light travel. This will be especially useful if there are any developments in its renewed search for

extraterrestrial life.

http://www.ign.com/a...ed-a-warp-drive

I'd be interested in reading waspie's comments on this...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 6

Has Zefram been born yet? NASA's a little ahead of schedule on this development...

• Like 3

What is a "warp bubble"?

Is the article referring to a localised 'compression of spacetime'? In which case the phenomenon observed does not constitute a 'drive' or any form of motive power. Additionally, the article suggests the 'compression' occurs within the unit itself, and is not a 'field effect' that surrounds the EmDrive unit and any vessel it is presumed to be attached to, therefore it would be useless with respect 'shortening the distance between point A and B in space' which is how a 'warp drive' is proposed to work.

Please bear in mind the article only quotes a 'forum post' and not a scientific paper or thesis, so it amounts to nothing more than speculation.

• Like 4

Hold on, "it was found that some of the beams were travelling faster than light"? :unsure2:

Paging Dr. Einstein!

• Like 2

Perhaps we may yet visit other solar systems, we shall see.

• Like 4

Now this is just 'oh so totally cool'...please, please let it be true.

I totally agree. Great find Taun :tu:
  • Like 1

I came across this story too on this link,

What happens next? To prove that the warp effect was not caused by atmospheric heating, the test will be replicated in a vacuum. If the same results are achieved, it seems to mean that the EmDrive is producing a warp field, which could ultimately lead to the development of a warp drive.

What does that mean? I’ll let the physicists, propulsion experts and space scientists answer that. All I know is, it will cause a lot of wet seats at the next Star Trek convention.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/04/nasa-may-have-accidentally-developed-a-warp-drive/

Now, has anyone read the forum that seems to have generated this news?

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36313.1860

• Like 2

I came across this story too on this link,

Now, has anyone read the forum that seems to have generated this news?

http://forum.nasaspa...opic=36313.1860

I did. it's an interesting site. I got lost a couple times. My brain was starting to explode because it was way over my head in some areas but cool stuff. :lol:
  • Like 2

Here's another article on this Taun:

Forget blowing bubbles, NASA may be on the path to discovering warp bubbles that will open up every corner of the universe for human exploration. We have broken the speed of sound, but now NASA scientists are tentatively announcing they may have broken the speed of light.

The piece of kit responsible for the sudden warp-drive frenzy is called the Electromagnetic Drive or EM Drive for short. It’s an innovative thruster that was built to steer rockets without the use of a propellant. The idea was originally met with skepticism: In order to move in one direction in the vacuum of space, you need to push an object in the opposite direction to give your rocket momentum. The object pushed in the opposite direction to the motion of the vessel is called the propellant, but the EM Drive does away with that.

Read remainder of article here: http://www.iflscience.com/space/warp-drives-mars-and-back-time-lunch

So cool! :tu:

• Like 1

Captain! The Dilithium crystals can't take anymore!

Being in my 60's I probably won't see it. Maybe my grandkids will.

• Like 3

Two things in the original article caught my eye and made me wonder a bit...

1. "this signature (the interference pattern) on the EmDrive looks just like what a warp bubble looks like"... Does anyone really know what a "Warp Bubble" looks like?...

I know it later stated it also matched the mathematical description of a wb... but it specifically said it looks like one (Presumably physically)...

2. Are they sure that the light beams travelled FTL?... Or could it be that there are some irregularities in the measuring system, that "gets squirrely" when trying to measure that accruately?...

Two things in the original article caught my eye and made me wonder a bit...

2. Are they sure that the light beams travelled FTL?... Or could it be that there are some irregularities in the measuring system, that "gets squirrely" when trying to measure that accruately?...

If they have, the people at the Large Halon Collider will be livid ...
  • Like 1

Not sure if this should be in Science and Technolgy - or Space Exploration... But here goes...

The EmDrive, an experimental propulsion device, may be producing a warp field.

According to posts on the NASA Space Flight forum, when lasers were fired into the EmDrive resonance chamber, it was found that some of the beams were travelling faster than the speed of light.

If this is true, then it would mean that the EmDrive is producing a warp field or bubble. A forum post says that "this signature (the interference pattern) on the EmDrive looks just like what a warp bubble

looks like. And the math behind the warp bubble apparently matches the interference pattern found in the EmDrive."

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but it could mean that NASA is one step closer to achieving faster than light travel. This will be especially useful if there are any developments in its renewed search for

extraterrestrial life.

http://www.ign.com/a...ed-a-warp-drive

I'd be interested in reading waspie's comments on this...

Facinating but still sounds more along the Tesla bubbles of time and space travel than Star Trek to me. I find it interesting NASA is describing a warp drive effect as as a "bubble"!

From what I read of Tesla views the most challenging part of achieving travel by the controlled bubble was how to end up where you wanted to go and be ABLE to return! It was along the lines of a kind teleportation through space time that would enable the travel of distances faster then light itself.

I don't pretend to understand the Tesla's notes that I read or even all of NASA's but I do believe the man was a genius and was on to many things that they are just now starting to touch base with.

From an old post of mine :

I read Tesla papers along this line of travel mentioned as a craft which did not travel but manged to stay stationary as in a "bubble" during the regular movement of time and space, but how to project accurately to the end point and return was most perplexing in theory, and the vehicle would appear as being teleported if done within the magnetic fields of earth.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=251635&st=0

• Like 1

"Captain, we are being hailed !! I know that Data, up on screen"

US can't solve their race and poverty issues, but they can make USS Enterprise NCC-1701....hope they don't meet the Borgs...or wait, they have, their leader is called Putin...

But all fun aside, still cool, especially that they want to warp space...

Still don't matter. Humans would still die traveling that fast.

Now they must find a way to negate the g-force.

G-force is not related to speed, it is related to acceleration.

This can best be seen if you travel in an airplane. When it takes off you can really feel the g-force, but when it has achieved cruising speed you can move freely about in the plane.

If you travel at a constant 1 g, you will achieve close to lightspeed in about a year. The problem is of course that we have no way of doing that !

This is not the first time somebody has claimed to have broken the light speed barrier and it later turned out they didn't.

I really hope it is the real deal this time, but until we get some more information it's probably better to keep the champagne in the fridge.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2

I bet the scientists at the LHC are super jealous right now.

Not really, given that they're working on a completely different thing.

Still don't matter. Humans would still die traveling that fast.

Now they must find a way to negate the g-force.

No they wouldn't. As has already been pointed out, g-force is to do with acceleration. Also, the main point about a warp drive it that it warps space around you. You are not moving. Space around you is.

• Like 4

Also, the main point about a warp drive it that it warps space around you. You are not moving. Space around you is.

That's not true, Emma.

I know there are some comments on the NASA forum in question that "it is space that is moving", but such a thing is not possible. The only way to get from point A to point B in space is via some form of motive power - such as a drive producing thrust. 'Warp drives' (a better term would be 'warp generator') are mooted as being able to reduce the distance between point A and point B by 'warping' or 'compressing' spacetime, but the vessel still needs some form of engine producing thrust to move from A to B.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2