Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

reintroducing corporal punishment in schools?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 26 February 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

may just be coincidence, or part of a larger number of problems, such as the moral decay of our culture.
I blame gangsta rap for that ex!
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#17    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

View Postrashore, on 26 February 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of school corporal punishment. Really really not a fan. It's not ok when a parent canes their child, it's really not ok for other people to do it.
i'd allow it, because if my kids were being so bad at school that caning them was even considered, then they'd deserve their punishment.

#18    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I remember back when i was in high school this one little punk got punished by the principal then went home crying to daddy.Next thing you know his pops shows up at the school telling the principal all kinds of tough talk,Then the principal kicked his ass!One of the funniest damn things ever.Two birds with one stone! :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#19    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 26 February 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

I remember back when i was in high school this one little punk got punished by the principal then went home crying to daddy.Next thing you know his pops shows up at the school telling the principal all kinds of tough talk,Then the principal kicked his ass!One of the funniest damn things ever.Two birds with one stone! :lol:
LIKE +loads!

#20    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,511 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Here in Oklahoma we have (or at least had) a program for 'tough kids' who were violently disruptive in class (as opposed to those who were just annoyingly class clowns like I was :whistle: )...

This program (and I'm sure other states have similar ones) was run with the help of Reserve Army Drill Sgt's (and retired active duty Drill Sgts as well)...  The Drill Sgts would provide the 'direction' and discipline (but never strike or even demean the kid) and teachers would then teach the subjects...   Usually a month or so of this and the kids were ready to go back to regular school and we had very good results...

I did this for a while and it's both heartening when you see a kid 'mend their ways' and disheartening when you get to know the kids and learn their back stories - usually broken disfunctional homes...

I would like to point out that it's not like 'basic training' you see in movies... We were never allowed to strike or put our hands on a student in any way except like a sports coach would (less violently actually, remembering back to my coaches...)

Edited by Taun, 26 February 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#21    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

that kind of thing would work taun. it's instilling a sense of discipline and respect that I was thinking of.
it would be nice if kids these days would respond to that without corporal punishment, but they think they're bullet-proof!
maybe we should introduce sergeant punishment instead of corporal punishment...?

Edited by shrooma, 26 February 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#22    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostTaun, on 26 February 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

We were never allowed to strike or put our hands on a student in any way except like a sports coach would (less violently actually, remembering back to my coaches...)
Phys-Ed teachers seem to be the same the world over, sadists to a man!!

#23    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,511 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postshrooma, on 26 February 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

that kind of thing would work taun. it's instilling a sense of discipline and respect that I was thinking of.
it would be nice if kids these days would respond to that with corporal punishment, but they think they're bullet-proof!
maybe we should introduce sergeant punishment instead of corporal punishment...?

Ahhh... But it's not a "punishment" ... It's an "opportunity to widen their horizons"....   :devil:

#24    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postshrooma, on 26 February 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

it would be nice if kids these days would respond to that without corporal punishment, but they think they're bullet-proof!

Sadly I think some kids would be past even that.  Like you say, they think they are bullet proof and would just walk off or even lash out and hit someone.

I worry a lot about my kids (they are only 4 and 6!), I discipline them and always will but sometimes I look at the teens I see on the streets and think how the hell did they end up like that???

#25    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 26 February 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

It does not help when we have the lefty brigade saying that the reason why little Desmond has just threatened to stab the teacher is because he has a "learning difficulty",
As pointed out, the discipline starts at home.
The South London school i went did eventually have a separate section for the unruly kids....when they showed up! But in those days the teachers were tougher, now they have to be extremely careful how they talk to these children...incase they 'scare" them and upset them and then the parents come to the school and threaten to sue the teacher.
The kids know all the tricks of the trade today, tricks which they  should not be able to get away with and some of the parents are not helping matter.

This probably wouldn't be popular with most people, but I think there should be video cameras in every class. Then, neither teachers nor the students would be able to talk their way out of anything. It's not like schools are supposed to be private or anything anyway.......even the police have cameras in their patrol cars. And in Russia the citizens have video cameras in their cars because the cops are corrupt.

As far as corporal punishment goes, I never liked the idea. First time punishment, send them home for the day, second time, send them home for the week, third time, their expelled. Parents might get a little more involved then......

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#26    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostTaun, on 26 February 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Ahhh... But it's not a "punishment" ... It's an "opportunity to widen their horizons"....   :devil:
I know what you mean about dysfunction though, a lot of parents don't seem to care what their kids get up to these days. as long as they're not getting under their feet, they let them do whatever they want!
not an ideal upbringing....

#27    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 26 February 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

I worry a lot about my kids (they are only 4 and 6!), I discipline them and always will
there's nothing wrong with instilling a sense of right and wrong in your kids, it's the best life-lesson you could possibly give them!
(nice 'henge pic by the way....)

#28    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,465 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

What we need is some form of punishment that really impacts a student and motivates change, yet doesn't remove them from the classroom.  I don't want it to sound like a stereotype, but many of those who act out have a bit of a struggle in the classroom anyway.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#29    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 26 February 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

This probably wouldn't be popular with most people, but I think there should be video cameras in every class. Then, neither teachers nor the students would be able to talk their way out of anything.
it would certainly be popular with me!
if a teacher showed me a video of my kids being little swines at school, there'd be all kinds of hell dished out when I got them home!!

#30    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View Postshrooma, on 26 February 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

there's nothing wrong with instilling a sense of right and wrong in your kids, it's the best life-lesson you could possibly give them!
(nice 'henge pic by the way....)

Hey totally off topic but just realised you are from Leeds, me too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users