Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain-eating amoeba claims second victim

booNyzarC

A parasite known as the "brain-eating amoeba" has claimed its second young American victim this month.

Christian Strickland, a 9-year-old from Henrico County in Virginia contracted an infection after visiting a fishing camp in his state. He died of meningitis on August 5.

This week, health department officials confirmed that the deadly amoeba--officially known as "Naegleria fowleri"--was to blame.

arrow3.gifView:

Link name

The odds appear to be slim, but just be aware and take precautions as needed.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DigitalDreamer

• booNyzarC

• Tommy Rot

• Taut

The odds appear to be slim, but just be aware and take precautions as needed.

Sad and God Bless him. You are born and never know " how or when". It is a gift to live.

"Courtney Nash succumbed to the brain-eating amoeba after diving off a dock into the St. John's River at her grandmother's house in Florida."

Well...I guess I'm not going swimming in the river anytime soon.

Oh good. Henrico County. That's a good distance from me and my swimming grounds. Not saying that it's good he died of it. That's sad.

The odds do seem very slim, and this has been around for a very long time. A bit on wiki.

When I was growing up I always scoffed at wearing nose plugs to go swimming. If I'd known about this though, despite its rarity, I probably would have worn them.

What kind of "god" would kill a kid?Im grateful i dont think any of that rubbish is true.Sad story

Sad story to be sure. I live in Florida and hear these stories every year.

I doubt seriously though that biologist and physicians refer to this amoeba as "the brain-eating ameoba". That's media sensationalizing.

What kind of "god" would kill a kid?Im grateful i dont think any of that rubbish is true.Sad story

Its ture my friend,and since God is the question ,and children do die and the ameboa is real just have faith that we all die of something ! Gods are for story time. :tu:

Do we really have to bring deities into every conversation on this board? Please, save it for the religion/spirituality boards they are there for a reason.

I posted this yesterday, glad they caught booNyzarC post. Brain eating amoebas are the worst (shivers)

There are some amazingly nasty critters in this world. Prayers for the families of those lost. Getting amoebic encephalitis is akin to winning the lottery, it's relatively rare.

There's a little catfish in the tropics that swims up your urethra and latches on - excruciatingly painful. It too lives in fresh still water. Gimmee a pass on all that, yeah?

Its ture my friend,and since God is the question ,and children do die and the ameboa is real just have faith that we all die of something ! Gods are for story time. :tu:

Clearly they are for story time which is why i felt the need to mock the one member who seemed to think "god" had somthing to do with this subject :yes:

He said 'God bless him' so what? He wasn't preaching or anything of the sort, so just leave it be :rolleyes:

And I also doubt that biologists call it The Brain Eating Amoeba. What's next? 'The Amoeba that goes nomnomnom?" My mum use to always warn me about this sort of thing, so I never swam in warm, still water

Perhaps if it evolves, and just lives on the brain instead of living eating it, it could create zombies.....

Makes you think twice about going in the water. I've also heard of people getting that flesh eating disease from waxing. Never know whats going happen to you when you make the decision to do something.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never swam in a river and probably never will now haha. Beach all the way.