Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wisconsin Sheriff Tells the Truth!

and-then

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," he adds. "You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. ... Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/26/wis-sheriff-urges-residents-to-get-gun-training/#ixzz2J63k0ReF

I agree, considering it can take officers longer to reach you after you called 911 ..You can hide or fight back defending yourself, and even your loved ones... If I lived there, and I owned the right to bare arms for protection then that is what I would intend to do, make use of it if I needed to...I would hide my kids out of the way and act fast to defend what I can... I do not give a monkeys who disagree's with me either..

• Like 4

It sounds to me like the good Sheriff is announcing something like:"My dear fellow citizens, thanks to a bunch of tightwads and over indebted, not being able to afford more, civilization has been defeated. Expect some lynching justice near you soon."

• Like 2

It sounds to me like the good Sheriff is announcing something like:"My dear fellow citizens, thanks to a bunch of tightwads and over indebted, not being able to afford more, civilization has been defeated. Expect some lynching justice near you soon."

Whatever the fiscal situation of that area I think that sherrif is giving the best advice possible. He's not sugar coating the situation and telling people everything is ok. Would you rather he make a plea to all local criminals to please behave until they can afford more police? Lynching suggests he's giving the town a target to attack. You know that's wrong. He's just saying that there aren't enough cops and you might have to handle things yourself.

• Like 3

Whatever the fiscal situation of that area I think that sherrif is giving the best advice possible. He's not sugar coating the situation and telling people everything is ok. Would you rather he make a plea to all local criminals to please behave until they can afford more police? Lynching suggests he's giving the town a target to attack. You know that's wrong. He's just saying that there aren't enough cops and you might have to handle things yourself.

If there is not enough money for law enforcement then more money has to be raised, encouraging vigilantism just leads to worse problems, popular as the "get yourself an AR-15" may be. Civilization will only work there where citizens refrain from vengeance because they know that the government will do it for them.

• Like 1

If there is not enough money for law enforcement then more money has to be raised, encouraging vigilantism just leads to worse problems, popular as the "get yourself an AR-15" may be. Civilization will only work there where citizens refrain from vengeance because they know that the government will do it for them.

Vigilantism and vengeance is actively seeking out criminals and taking the law into your own hands. Thats a big difference from home and self defense where the criminal has sought you out.

• Like 9

yep, must ask what the law will have to say each time someone gets killed....How many gun hoe vigilantes will be loving this?

How easy will it be now to determine the actually real reason for why someone has killed someone when they have the "excuse" = we were told we could because we could not rely on the overstretched police force, honest, I was just defending myself.

I understand where this is coming from, its where it is going which is dodgy.

yep, must ask what the law will have to say each time someone gets killed....How many gun hoe vigilantes will be loving this?

How easy will it be now to determine the actually real reason for why someone has killed someone when they have the "excuse" = we were told we could because we could not rely on the overstretched police force, honest, I was just defending myself.

I understand where this is coming from, its where it is going which is dodgy.

No way. The sheriff hasn't told them to do anything they aren't already allowed to do, which is protect themselves. You and QM are painting a picture like the Frankenstein mob. In absolutely no way did the sheriff call on the townspeople to take to the streets and help him do the work of the police.

• Like 4

No way. The sheriff hasn't told them to do anything they aren't already allowed to do, which is protect themselves. You and QM are painting a picture like the Frankenstein mob. In absolutely no way did the sheriff call on the townspeople to take to the streets and help him do the work of the police.

"I need you in the game," he says.

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option,"

But he also said he wanted to call on residents to be law enforcement "partners."

i read this as asking the public to help the police out by doing the job they can no do because of fewer and fewer resources, so yes, he is asking the public to help him do the work of the police while the police are on their way to the residence, look at the last sentence.

Edited by freetoroam

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option,"

But he also said he wanted to call on residents to be law enforcement "partners."

i read this as asking the public to help the police out by doing the job they can no do because of fewer and fewer resources, so yes, he is asking the public to help him do the work of the police while the police are on their way to the residence, look at the last sentence.

He is reiterating to the public, and more importantly to Washington, something we all know...in a life or death situation don't wait for police. If he is like any other cop I know he has been saying this all along. They have always asked citizens to be their "eyes and ears" on the street and in our neighborhoods.

• Like 6

Community organized against crime. (PAC is a good one, there are others in the U.S.) Happens a lot over here, when the ability to enforce the law and stop most crinimals is limited. Law enforcement officals tend to try and get neighborhood communities involved in the fight against crime; which is very heavy in U.S., because of the population growth. Also, not to mention the Cartels coming across our borders and adding to it.

He is reiterating to the public, and more importantly to Washington, something we all know...in a life or death situation don't wait for police. If he is like any other cop I know he has been saying this all along. They have always asked citizens to be their "eyes and ears" on the street and in our neighborhoods.

The eyes and ears are obvious, but not just to help out the police, but for your own safety. He is on the other hand saying there are fewer resources than before and he says "With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," so by saying it is NO LONGER an option, means it was before.

I understand what you are saying, but the point is some may take this as a green card to become vigilantes because the police are short of resources.

He is reiterating the obvious, but he is also adding to that the point that it will be acceptable to to shoot to kill without as many questions being asked now.

Community organized against crime. (PAC is a good one, there are others in the U.S.) Happens a lot over here, when the ability to enforce the law and stop most crinimals is limited. Law enforcement officals tend to try and get neighborhood communities involved in the fight against crime; which is very heavy in U.S., because of the population growth. Also, not to mention the Cartels coming across our borders and adding to it.

At the end of the day, if the police can not protect you, then yes, you have to protect yourselves. But surely the government should be making sure there are enough resources to keep the public safe.......not always possible to do that if you are faced with a gun aimed at you and there is no time to call anyone, but my point was will there be some using this as an excuse to shoot to kill when it may not have been necessary ?

• Like 1

The eyes and ears are obvious, but not just to help out the police, but for your own safety. He is on the other hand saying there are fewer resources than before and he says "With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," so by saying it is NO LONGER an option, means it was before.

I understand what you are saying, but the point is some may take this as a green card to become vigilantes because the police are short of resources.

He is reiterating the obvious, but he is also adding to that the point that it will be acceptable to to shoot to kill without as many questions being asked now.

You can think we are all a bunch or rogues chomping at the bit for a gunfight all you want, but that isn't the case. You can make it sound like you have a police officer on every corner where you live, but that is also not the case. I've heard from members on UM for years about how when a crime is commited you are lucky if the police show up a couple of days later to take a report. Frankly your attitude and opinion of us is annoying. You twist and turn everything to make it sound like we are all a bunch of rednecks.

• Like 4

I agree with this topic. :gun:

At the end of the day, if the police can not protect you, then yes, you have to protect yourselves. But surely the government should be making sure there are enough resources to keep the public safe.......not always possible to do that if you are faced with a gun aimed at you and there is no time to call anyone, but my point was will there be some using this as an excuse to shoot to kill when it may not have been necessary ?

He said it's no longer the best option. He didn't say it was no longer an option at all. And in the event that something happens I guarantee just as many questions will be asked as any other situation. The sheriff isn't going to just say thanks and take ones word at face value. There will still be due process and an investigation.

How about we keep track of this situation and see what happens. There will still be law abiding citizens and there will still be crazy people. If you think average Joes are going to flip a switch and suddenly want to go criminal hunting I doubt it. But the way you're portraying it is that people are going to use this as an excuse to go shoot someone for the hell of it because nobody is going o question it. 9.999999/10 people aren't going to do that because most people don't want to shoot anyone else. Your rationale is crazy.

• Like 2

You can think we are all a bunch or rogues chomping at the bit for a gunfight all you want, but that isn't the case. You can make it sound like you have a police officer on every corner where you live, but that is also not the case. I've heard from members on UM for years about how when a crime is commited you are lucky if the police show up a couple of days later to take a report. Frankly your attitude and opinion of us is annoying. You twist and turn everything to make it sound like we are all a bunch of rednecks.

Right on.

Not at all! how is " but my point was will there be some using this as an excuse to shoot to kill when it may not have been necessary ? " indicate all of you? It does not!!

You are right about not having a police man on every street corner here, but as i have pointed out, we can take care of ourselves without the use of a gun....did you see the thread about the gun man taken down by the locals..all unarmed?

We are used to the police not turning up within ten minutes, but that depends on what neighborhood you live in, but in minimum police areas, we know how to look after ourselves. it is very rare that the criminal has a gun and if they have they will not normally shoot at the general public.

Frankly I think your paranoia is blinding you to what some people are saying and asking you. I have not said that you should not be unarmed, just read the posts.

Edited by freetoroam

I just woke up. The word is protesting in masses in the streets was ineffective and changing the guard is futile through voting. Creativity is the answer and outright disobedience. This sherriffshows us the right way to go about this. Along with the masses in NY refusing to register there guns. These are examples of the engine reving up in America. Hopefully full calamity can be avoided and reasonable government will appear.

• Like 2

Not at all! how is " but my point was will there be some using this as an excuse to shoot to kill when it may not have been necessary ? " indicate all of you?

You are right about not having a police man on every street corner here, but as i have pointed out, we can take care of ourselves without the use of a gun....did you see the thread about the gun man taken down by the locals..all unarmed?

We are used to the police not turning up within ten minutes, but that depends on what neighborhood you live in, but in minimum police areas, we know how to look after ourselves. it is very rare that the criminal has a gun and if they have they will not normally shoot at the general public.

Frankly I think your paranoia is blinding you to what some people are saying and asking you. I have not said that you should not be unarmed, just read the posts.

Did you also see the report that it was a fake gun?

I'm sure you would be very good at taking out a guy that comes up behind you with a knife. :rolleyes: That's why there are no knife victims...because you can all take care of yourselves so proficiently.

See what I mean about the attitude?

• Like 1

Did you also see the report that it was a fake gun?

I'm sure you would be very good at taking out a guy that comes up behind you with a knife. :rolleyes: That's why there are no knife victims...because you can all take care of yourselves so proficiently.

See what I mean about the attitude?

No I do not. you seem to be missing the point of this thread.

Fake or not, it did not stop the people from tackling him and as i have already said, it is unusual for the robber to actually shoot, they use the gun, fake or not to scare.

I asked you a question and you have gone completely defensive, god forbid if you were ever in a situation where you had an opportunity whether to shoot or not, people like you would not even hesitate.

Edited by freetoroam

No I do not. you seem to be missing the point of this thread.

Fake or not, it did not stop the people from tackling him and as i have already said, it is unusual for the robber to actually shoot, they use the gun, fake or not to scare.

I asked you a question and you have gone completely defensive, god forbid if you were ever in a situation where you had an opportunity whether to shoot or not, people like you would not even hesitate.

I was not addressing the point of this thread. I was addressing your asinine assumptions, accusations and insinuations such as the bolded.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

I was not addressing the point of this thread. I was addressing your asinine assumptions, accusations and insinuations such as the bolded.

And I was addressing this accusation you made:

"You can think we are all a bunch or rogues chomping at the bit for a gunfight all you want,

Frankly your attitude and opinion of us is annoying. You twist and turn everything to make it sound like we are all a bunch of rednecks"

What did you expect me to do, agree with that? what you have written there is not true at all!!

And I was addressing this accusation you made:

"You can think we are all a bunch or rogues chomping at the bit for a gunfight all you want,

Frankly your attitude and opinion of us is annoying. You twist and turn everything to make it sound like we are all a bunch of rednecks"

What did you expect me to do, agree with that? what you have written there is not true at all!!

I stand by my opinion of your words.

• Like 1