Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit'

smoking toxic limits car

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Secondhand Smoke in Cars, Bars Impairs Breathing Within 20 Minutes

ScienceDaily (Oct. 22, 2012) — Heavy concentrations of secondhand smoke, such as those found in smoke-filled bars and cars, can lead to airway restriction for bystanders within minutes of exposure. The study, presented at CHEST 2012, the annual meeting of the American College of Chest Physicians, showed that after 20 minutes of exposure to highly concentrated secondhand smoke, participants experienced near immediate physiologic changes, including airway resistance and impedance.

http://www.scienceda...21022080921.htm

#32    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostRender, on 24 October 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Secondhand Smoke in Cars, Bars Impairs Breathing Within 20 Minutes
http://www.scienceda...21022080921.htm

The article posted above is worth the read..

I am a long time smoker...  BUT  I hate second hand smoke  ( Ironic  I know )

I have sat next to people when I was not smoking, and  when they were puffing away on their cigarettes,  the smoke made my eyes sting and it was worse to breath in more than inhaling from a cigarette myself..  I do not know why that is..but it did seem worse

I cannot stand smoking in closed areas, I prefer to smoke outside  in private away from everyone and I am well used to it...

I have two small children...I have a  7 year old girl and a 5 month old baby boy...I cannot allow them to be exposed to my smoke, or my husbands for that matter ...  

I do not think it is fair to smoke around anyone who is a non smoker, more so my kids.. it is not something I can do...not even in my car.. My kids are usually in our car, and they can never breath that in..I can't allow it......  Nor would it be right to offer someone a lift and allow them to smell the smoke and breath it in... I would feel terrible
I was raised in a very clean home, and my dad smoked, but he never would smoke indoors .. Our home never smelled of smoke...ever ..Well the odd time when I burned toast  lol

My point here is.. as a smoker, I made the choice myself..  So I do not feel I have a right to force anyone to breath in my smoke...it is not their choice, and who am I to upset and make them feel sick with my smoke?

I don't mind going out to a pub or club that is smoke free.. .I found I can enjoy myself all night long without a smoke.....If I wanted one, I could pop outside with the other smokers away from the non smokers..

In the winter time, if it is really cold outside.. I would do without...lol

What I cannot stand is how some non smokers will chant abuse and hate at anyone who is a smoker.. I do not see how spouting hate and dogs abuse, looking down on others is going to make it  OK...  But people are idiots.. and that will never change ... If you are near someone who is smoking..walk away from them, they are not forcing you to stand there and inhale...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 October 2012 - 12:42 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#33    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

When i did smoke It was always outside. Only in my truck when I was alone. Smokers have no rights and should have.

#34    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 24 October 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

When i did smoke It was always outside. Only in my truck when I was alone. Smokers have no rights and should have.

I believe they should have rights  . .Like to smoke on their own property.. whether it is their car or home.. It is their right..  Even though I don't do it, I still feel they have that right..  Just like I feel non smokers have many rights too.

It would be pointless to be biased over this

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#35    Insignia

Insignia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Speaking as a smoker here, anyone who smokes in a car with a child in the backseat is a goddamn idiot.
I'm all for smokers rights (Thank God I don't live in California) but you should NEVER smoke around a child. EVER. It's not just the health aspect, it's that children imitate pretty much everything they see their peers doing.

#36    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

View PostInsignia, on 24 October 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Speaking as a smoker here, anyone who smokes in a car with a child in the backseat is a goddamn idiot.
I'm all for smokers rights (Thank God I don't live in California) but you should NEVER smoke around a child. EVER. It's not just the health aspect, it's that children imitate pretty much everything they see their peers doing.

Hey now......California is a beautiful state and it's where I was born and raised and where I still live!

Other than that, your spot on.....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#37    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,336 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

What should be done is to split smokers and non-smokers. Just because you do this, you are not allowed here and here is like an racial thing, but not exactly in the same sense. By telling them they are not welcomed here or here is liked telling another color that he is not welcomed here or here. Some places are outright banning people from establishments because they are smokers. I have even ran into places that ask specifically if you are a smoker, if you check yes, then you are asked to leave. It is getting quite bad to be honest. While trying to uphold the rights of non-smokers, they are trampling all over the rights of smokers.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#38    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

A while back I turned down a very attractive girl as soon I found out she was a smoker. I just couldn't understand why she would willingly want to burn out her own lungs, prematurely wrinkle her beautiful skin, clog her arteries, and damage her heart at the same time. Was really disappointed, just couldn't get past it though.

Edited by WoIverine, 29 October 2012 - 02:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users