Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Dyatlov Pass incident

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

There's already plenty of threads about this case.

Erix gave the link to a 12 pages thread about this case, worth the read. :)

Here's a short but very interesting video about the case:

Stuff they don't want you to know: Dyatlov

By the way Dyatlov is not regarded as a "UFO case", it should be in the legend section of the forum.

Edited by JonathanVonErich, 07 March 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,363 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Can you sum up the video, Jonathan? I can't watch here at work and the last thing I wanna do when I get home is get on the intranets.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#18    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,983 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 07 March 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

uhhm, the scenario in my head was like "group gets surprised by avalanche in the night, some can get out of their snow-buried tent, get hypothermia, get delusional, undress, die..." or something like that. Digging out of under the snow, walk around, y'know? Ah, but that's just wild speculation, everything is possible. Even Bigfoot as i just read ....

an avalanche would leave obvious signs....why were footprints found all around the tent and leading to the woods?

they all get out of the tent...hyporthemia? no if this was the case then the hypothermia must have happened in the tent, why? because their clothes were in the tent not scattered around! So they did not leave the tent ..get hypothermia then undress, so while the condition and possible symptons of hypothermia are accurate they cannot be possible in this case if said facts are correct.

if 'bigfoot' then the footprints would surely be visible as the human ones were.

!??

#19    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postquillius, on 08 March 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

an avalanche would leave obvious signs....why were footprints found all around the tent and leading to the woods?

they all get out of the tent...hyporthemia? no if this was the case then the hypothermia must have happened in the tent, why? because their clothes were in the tent not scattered around! So they did not leave the tent ..get hypothermia then undress, so while the condition and possible symptons of hypothermia are accurate they cannot be possible in this case if said facts are correct.

if 'bigfoot' then the footprints would surely be visible as the human ones were.

!??

that bigfoot part i just added because somebody mentioned before...i'm not a big believer in the whole bigfoot thing. Let me make my point a little clearer : that group sleeps in their tents at night, they get surprised and buried by an avalanche, they can't get out immediately. After some time, some of them manage to rip the tent open and dig out, they're already cooled out a lot. Then, they try to dig out their mates as well and get surprised by hypothermia setting in....Whatever, it's all wild speculation since no one of us witnessed what happened there, but i like to first look at possible down-to-earth explanations before i let some aliens get involved.

#20    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,983 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 08 March 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

that bigfoot part i just added because somebody mentioned before...i'm not a big believer in the whole bigfoot thing. Let me make my point a little clearer : that group sleeps in their tents at night, they get surprised and buried by an avalanche, they can't get out immediately. After some time, some of them manage to rip the tent open and dig out, they're already cooled out a lot. Then, they try to dig out their mates as well and get surprised by hypothermia setting in....Whatever, it's all wild speculation since no one of us witnessed what happened there, but i like to first look at possible down-to-earth explanations before i let some aliens get involved.

hello Jacques, ok and noted on the bigfoot part :)

dont worry I am not about to introduce aliens or bigfoot....I am trying to establish the facts first (if this is possible)

here is a good site for you some interesting points. There is an interesting comment from a member there that claims ot have been to shool with them all.

My link

:tu:

#21    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Postquillius, on 08 March 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

hello Jacques, ok and noted on the bigfoot part :)

dont worry I am not about to introduce aliens or bigfoot....I am trying to establish the facts first (if this is possible)

here is a good site for you some interesting points. There is an interesting comment from a member there that claims ot have been to shool with them all.

My link

:tu:
cool, i'll check on that! thx!

#22    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 08 March 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Well before anyone can work in an avalanche theory, we need to know if the area they were in were prone to avalanche, from the report they made camp, as you would on flatter ground, and avalanches don't happen on flat ground, do they? If it were an avalanche, that fell from above, then we also need to know how high they were on which mountain, and if it were an avalanche, why was the tent not buried along with all the footprints?

next, in a tent which is WARM enough that you can feel its OK to undress!! If it were so cold they'd have stayed dressed. and what about the alleged note left behind...

"snowmen do exist"

Edited by bouncer, 08 March 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#23    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 3,972 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

View Postbouncer, on 08 March 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Well before anyone can work in an avalanche theory, we need to know if the area they were in were prone to avalanche, from the report they made camp, as you would on flatter ground, and avalanches don't happen on flat ground, do they?[...]
From what I've seen in the most comprehensive (IMHO) attempt to study this case by E.V.Buyanov and B.E.Slobtsov (sadly, in Russian only), it was (most likely) "slab" or cohesive plate of snow slided onto the tent. Schematic shown here

Posted Image

probably will make it more clear.

Edited by bmk1245, 08 March 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#24    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

What did they rip the tent open with?

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#25    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

What did they rip the tent open with?  Where is it?

Edited by Cassea, 08 March 2012 - 02:15 PM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#26    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

View PostCassea, on 08 March 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

What did they rip the tent open with?  Where is it?

Didnt one story say their hands? But most mountain climbers will have knives anyway. Heck most campers would too!

#27    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 08 March 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

From what I've seen in the most comprehensive (IMHO) attempt to study this case by E.V.Buyanov and B.E.Slobtsov (sadly, in Russian only), it was (most likely) "slab" or cohesive plate of snow slided onto the tent. Schematic shown here

Posted Image

probably will make it more clear.

Ok if thats the actual graphic from the investigation I can understand the possibility. But shouldn't it have buried the tent AND the footprints found round the tent and in the directions they ran?  You'd have thought so eh?

#28    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for drawing our attention to this highly intriguing case; again what a terrible shame that information was suppressed by the USSR all those years ago and possibly forever.  Due to a cover up (in this case removing an intelligent investigator from the case in 1959) the truth remains untold.  It's criminal really.

Posted Image

#29    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

View Postbouncer, on 08 March 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Didnt one story say their hands? But most mountain climbers will have knives anyway. Heck most campers would too!

Where is it then?   There's a few things here that can eliminate some theories.  One is that they ran away from their tent.  And then tried to return to the tent.   For them to have run as far as they did with no clothes on makes no sense.  They are experienced skiers.  They would have known that they would die.  As they are waiting to get out of the tent why not grab some clothing?  To go out barefoot? No sense.  So where is the knife used to cut the tent?  If there was an attack,  having a knife would be a weapon?  

Seems like they were forced to leave the tent. The idea that some of the people in the tent thought there was an avalanche and ran out makes sense.  A jet flying overhead makes them think it's an avalanche.  Then they run out but those left behind realize it's a false alarm and go out to find them and fall off a ravine.  Maybe?

#30    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Brian Dunning covered this incident in an episode of Skeptoid a couple of years back.

Here's a link to the transcript and podcast if you're interested:  http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

His analysis - well, no one really knows exactly what happened and any attempt to say anything definitive is simply a guessing game.  But as far as he's concerned, he still looking for some aspect of the mystery that lacks a simple and mundane explanation.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users