Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are CMEs a threat to life on Earth?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

A question his recent CME`s on th efar side of the Sun,What will happen really If a major,and I mean Major CME let go towards earth in the next year or so ? Like Ten times larger than this one that just happened.
Is it actually possible to wipe out our life on earth? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,181 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 13 May 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

A question his recent CME`s on th efar side of the Sun,What will happen really If a major,and I mean Major CME let go towards earth in the next year or so ? Like Ten times larger than this one that just happened.
Is it actually possible to wipe out our life on earth? :tu:

No, CME's have been happening for billions of years. We are protected by our atmosphere and magnetic field.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 13 May 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

No, CME's have been happening for billions of years. We are protected by our atmosphere and magnetic field.
That's not entirely true.  Large CME's can penetrate the Earth's magnetic shield and produce aurora around the equatorial regions.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,181 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 14 May 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

That's not entirely true.  Large CME's can penetrate the Earth's magnetic shield and produce aurora around the equatorial regions.

What part of it is untrue exactly? DONTEATUS asked if it could wipe out life on Earth, I replied we were protected. Show me an aurora that can wipe out life on Earth and you might have a point.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,181 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Impacts of Strong Solar Flares

www.nasa.gov said:

Given a legitimate need to protect Earth from the most intense forms of space weather -- great bursts of electromagnetic energy and particles that can sometimes stream from the sun -- some people worry that a gigantic "killer solar flare" could hurl enough energy to destroy Earth, but this is not actually possible.

Solar activity is indeed currently ramping up toward what is known as solar maximum, something that occurs approximately every 11 years. However, this same solar cycle has occurred over millennia so anyone over the age of 11 has already lived through such a solar maximum with no harm.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

the only real thing a huge CME could do is really screw up our electronics.. if we get hit by a double whammy .. ie.. one right after the other it would cause a rather large overload.. theories also put it like a world wide EMP..

#7    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,265 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Putting on my tinfoil hat and to add a little bit of mystery and excitement..  IF a huge solar outburst blew away some/all of our van Allen Belts, OR if we just lose our magnetic field or it dwindles drastically (perhaps before a periodic reversal), then.. cosmic and solar radiation might be significantly increased - there would be sunburn!  We might even do a Mars and lose some of our atmosphere..

Interestingly, increased radiation might have good and bad effects - some believe that in times of higher radiation bombardment, evolution - driven by all the mutated (aka radiation-damaged) dna - would increase in speed.

Who knows, we might develop into a whole new, better (or worse) species.. :D

Removing tinfoil hat - ok, all that would take a MIGHTY big outburst of a kind not hitherto seen, but that is hinted at by some archeological evidence..  the jury is still out on much of this - we really aren't sure what might happen, even if the Sun did have an enormous uncharacteristic burp....

BTW, it would also have to be pointed right at us, otherwise it won't do much except look purty..

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users