Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whats Down There?

Mad Manfred

I'm curious as to what you think is down there?

It's a possibility that something as large as a whale could have survived and adapted to the pressure. No?

I've always been fascinated with deep ocean life and the large creatures that surface and die (squids for example)

So far we're aware of Colossal Squids and a handful of smaller, almost pre-historic creatures...

Could be giant sharks from the cretacious period and even other species of deep-sea whales (that don't need air obviously).

The whole bottom of the ocean could be teeming with life! Not to mention undiscovered fossils and ancient human artifacts from before the seperation of the continents. Hell, we could fill the missing link!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canadian Rottweiler

• DarkSide

• Mad Manfred

• Richdog

intresting question manfred thumbsup.gif

i think some creatures we'll never know because the difference in pressure will make some of them explode and render them unreconizable. i do believe that bigger sharks live down there eating giant squids or even smaller whales.

intresting question manfred thumbsup.gif

i think some creatures we'll never know because the difference in pressure will make some of them explode and render them unreconizable.  i do believe that bigger sharks live down there eating giant squids or even smaller whales.

417149[/snapback]

Good point...we're constantly finding large amounts of "stuff" on beaches that people pass off as whale blubber when it could in fact be a large undiscovered creature thats "popped" upon arriving on the surface...

btw, are you the same RC from ComiXfan?

no...could be...*thinks again* there are alot of Gambit fans out there. as you can see Mr. remy lebeau has my support and lots more out there. yes.gif

Edited by RaginCajun

no...could be...*thinks again* there are alot of Gambit fans out there.  as you can see Mr. remy lebeau has my support and lots more out there. yes.gif

417163[/snapback]

Tell me about it...the Gambit fanbase is almost as large as the Wolverine one yes.gif (used to be a fan of the ole Cajun myself back in the 90's, Rogue too).

Anyways, just curious...probably a few dozen with the same name out there tongue.gif

I think there's a chance Megalodon still exists, like I posted in another thread a while back, i'll find the info if you like. original.gif

I think there's a chance Megalodon still exists, like I posted in another thread a while back, i'll find the info if you like. original.gif

417184[/snapback]

Thats the one! I forgot the name!

Very interesting indeed...would be a huge event if they discovered this thing was still alive...would be slightly different though, given a few million years has passed.

I'll see if I can find a picture...

A few of them are photoshopped...but it gives you a good idea of what one would look like.

post-7328-1103698137.jpg

post-7328-1103698208.jpg

post-7328-1103698232.jpg

post-7328-1103698263.jpg

Im also very curious, did you know that only 2% of the worlds oceans has been explored by man? I wonder whats there on the other 98% of the oceans.

the ocean is way too big for us to know what's down there. This is why I always say that unknown sea creatures are likely to exist because we don't even know everything that loves on land, so how the hell can we know what's in the ocean when the ocean covers 2 1/2x as much land? It's just dumb how people think the know everytinhg in the sea. I mean think about it, hte ocean covers 70%of the earths surface, no way we could ever know everything living out there. plus, the oceans go so deep, humans can't accurately explore the depths of the sea to find everytinhg. And after all, they said Giant Squids were fake, and they turned out to be real.

OK found it...original.gif

Megalodon was the largest shark to every have lived, averaging over 40 feet long, maybe reaching up to 80 feet, and it has been found that as well as being around as long ago as 50 million years, it was also around as close back as 10'000 years! Check this... http://www.strangemag.com/megalodon.html

According to the hundreds of Megalodon teeth that have been pulled from the oceans and rock beds of the world (which look much like the great white's teeth, except measure approximately 6 inches in length), the monstrous fish may have reached lengths close to 80 feet.(1) Next to the sperm whale, that would make Megalodon possibly the largest predator that has ever lived, including the land dinosaurs. The giant shark is sometimes depicted as having been able to totally swallow a small car, although this is probably exaggeration. Still, Jaws has nothing on this guy...

Almost all who have investigated the possible existence of the great Megalodon realize that if it is extinct, it has only recently occured in the geological record. The creature lived as long ago as 50 million years (Middle and Late Tertiary Period), but Ellis confirms that scientists have concluded Megalodon probably "just" became extinct, in the late Pleistocene or early Holocene epochs. In other words, as close as 10,000 years ago! Pretty scary stuff...

Zoological history has proven that very large animals can remain hidden from modern science, especially in our planet's under-explored ocean depths. So if the famous coelacanth can remain undisturbed for 60 million years, why not push our giant white shark up a mere 10,000? Apparently Ellis sees no major problem with that when he writes, "Except that we have not found one, there appears to be no reason why Megalodon should not be flourishing today."

Read the 1918 winess account of an enormous shark near the bottom too, quite interesting...

In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds--which lie in deep water--when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all." These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of.

In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast. But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as an indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well. One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood--about 115 feet!

They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark. They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson's Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches. Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before! One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish color of the vast fish."(3)

In this popular account, we apparently have credible witnesses, and a knowledgeable investigator, Stead, who believed the fishermen were telling the truth (and that they may have witnessed a living Megalodon). I believe the "fact" that they did not return to sea for days could be added to their credibility, and to their loss in wages after the apparently traumatic experience (unless they were hoaxing the entire event, of course.)

We also have some rather strange features in this report, including the tremendous lengths the fishermen reported, if we cannot attribute these to exaggeration due to intense fear. If we cannot, then it seems if Megalodon has survived, it may have grown bigger, and I am not sure which idea is scarier.

Likely or not, it's still interesting. grin2.gif

Holy crap on a stick! 10,000 years? Modern man has been around 37,000, so, unless they're a deep sea shark, it's a possibility our ancestors encountered these monsters...scary.

Though even if they exist I doubt they'd even try to eat a human...far too small.

I wonder what their diet consists of? Squid? Whale? Dolphins? Sealions and Seals? Orka's?

hey, manfred...

we have been talking about monstrous creatures, but what about the possiblity of a lost civilization or aliens down there??? heck, maybe even secret government projects.

just a thought.. unsure.gif

hey, manfred...

we have been talking about monstrous creatures, but what about the possiblity of a lost civilization or aliens down there???  heck, maybe even secret government projects.

417288[/snapback]

The only way I see alien races or whatever existing down there is if you believe in the Hollow Earth theory, which is basically that the Earth is hollow beneath a thick crust seperating it from the surface, and within lives an advanced civilisation.

And as for Megalodon unfortunately I don't think it would still exist, it's feeding havbits were much like Great Whites in that it likes shallow warm waters and preyed on seals etc. It wasn't suited for uber-deep, freezing cold seas. sad.gif

perhaps the megaladon dosen't exist now...no, it doesn't exist anymore. however, their is a possibility that a creature the size of the Megaladon exist. we, have only gone so deep and explored here and there.

perhaps the megaladon dosen't exist now...no, it doesn't exist anymore.  however, their is a possibility that a creature the size of the Megaladon exist.  we, have only gone so deep and explored here and there.

417314[/snapback]

Interesting article on a sound that scientists have captured in the ocean that they believe is an unknown species calling... http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/06/13/bloop/

And a very interesting article about an encounter with a large and unknown sea creature... http://www.strangemag.com/definitiveseaserpent.html

I'll go through those links in a sec...

hey, manfred...

we have been talking about monstrous creatures, but what about the possiblity of a lost civilization or aliens down there???  heck, maybe even secret government projects.

417288[/snapback]

Nah, not a big fan of those theories. Pretty far-fetched.

The lost civilization I think is a possibility as many human settlements could have been lost...as I said, we could find the missing link in the gaping hole that is the North Pacific Ocean.

And as for Megalodon unfortunately I don't think it would still exist, it's feeding havbits were much like Great Whites in that it likes shallow warm waters and preyed on seals etc.  It wasn't suited for uber-deep, freezing cold seas.  sad.gif

417294[/snapback]

Well, it has been 60 million years...if it does exist then it would have evolved to something different, though similar in appearance. Perhaps with the seperation of Pangea they're cycles changed and they became deepsea creatures? Perhaps even bottom dwellers?

I doubt they'd eat whales...we'd definitely see evidence of that if parts of a carcass washed ashore...

BTW, why would a 115 foot shark want to eat crayfish? Hell, a sperm whale would be an hors dourve to one of these things tongue.gif

i don't believe in the Megalodon... No evidence supports their existence: no half-eaten whales, no ships sunk due to something biting their hulls, and, no new teeth were found(sharks loose their teeth as often as we go to the toilet...)...

But, hideous things could live there... Look up the Goblin shark... nothing is known about it except that they exist and they are I]really[/i] strange...

i don't believe in the Megalodon... No evidence supports their existence: no half-eaten whales, no ships sunk due to something biting their hulls, and, no new teeth were found(sharks loose their teeth as often as we go to the toilet...)...

But, hideous things could live there... Look up the Goblin shark... nothing is known about it except that they exist and they are I]really[/i]  strange...

417367[/snapback]

One of the latest Cryptids to become fact...a picture...

post-7328-1103712284.jpg

But, hideous things could live there... Look up the Goblin shark... nothing is known about it except that they exist and they are I]really[/i]  strange...

417367[/snapback]

One of the latest Cryptids to become fact...a picture...

417371[/snapback]

ah yes my favorite shark. also try looking for the cookie cutter shark. w00t.gif

Well, it has been 60 million years...if it does exist then it would have evolved to something different

megalodon was found to be in existence as little as 11'000 years ago, so stayed the same for 60+ million of years and wouldn't have needed to evolve, it would have been a very successful predator, though obviously not successful enough to avoid extinction. original.gif

I'm curious as to what you think is down there?

It's a possibility that something as large as a whale could have survived and adapted to the pressure. No?

I've always been fascinated with deep ocean life and the large creatures that surface and die (squids for example)

So far we're aware of Colossal Squids and a handful of smaller, almost pre-historic creatures...

Could be giant sharks from the cretacious period and even other species of deep-sea whales (that don't need air obviously).

The whole bottom of the ocean could be teeming with life! Not to mention undiscovered fossils and ancient human artifacts from before the seperation of the continents. Hell, we could fill the missing link!

417147[/snapback]

There is undiscovered species down there.Little while ago,over 2000 species of sea creatures were discovered in Canada's pacific coast.There is creatures down there are unimaginable.Some are so scary that they would give you nightmares.These creatures are down at about 300 feet then below.3 weeks ago,i dived to 100 feet,and that was deep enough for me,even though i am certified to go down to 130 feet.The part we were at had a maximum depth of 400 feet.But oxygen becomes toxic at 214 feet.So,in order to go deeper,you gotta mix oxygen with other chemicals.Therefor,the new chemical is called enriched.The deepest depth ever by a human is 1112 feet,and that was with 15 mixes w00t.gif At that depth,that guy saw things down there that were frightening,and unimaginable w00t.gif These are some of the creatures down there...

post-10180-1103747690.jpg

post-10180-1103747696.jpg

post-10180-1103747912.jpg

post-10180-1103747925.jpg

post-10180-1103747937.jpg

post-10180-1103747955.jpg

post-10180-1103747966.jpg

post-10180-1103747993.jpg

post-10180-1103748013.jpg

post-10180-1103748026.jpg

post-10180-1103748038.jpg

And some more freaky deep sea creatures...

418148[/snapback]

I don't know about anyone else but if I was down a 1'000 feet and one of those things swam near to me I would **** bricks and squeal like a small girl. I have a big problem with deep dark sea to begin with, not taking into account things that look like they were pulled straight from a horror movie... no.gif