Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kraken; story or fishermans nightmare?

Fay

I just read about this incredible octopus like creature. This book says that it is a mile in circumference but I find that quite unbelivable. Researchers who have studied it, say "it lives yet, but in a state of hibernation, sleeping, far, far beneath the abysmal sea" What does everyone else make of this Kraken?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mad Manfred

• BurnSide

• Fay

• Dezmond

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of two possibilities:

1 - An exaggeration on the giant Squid. Fishermen spot them and create stories.

2 - It is what people say. Though scientifically it's merely a species of enormous squid or octopus that mistakes ships for whales. Probably long extinct...probably hunted to death by an ignorant man.

Well, we do have a confirmed 'giant' squid, and there is intriguing evidence of the possiblity that a giant octopus exists as well, although, being bottom dwellers, it is diffucult to think of them attacking ships.

Well, we do have a confirmed 'giant' squid, and there is intriguing evidence of the possiblity that a giant octopus exists as well, although, being bottom dwellers, it is diffucult to think of them attacking ships.

421379[/snapback]

Perhaps in defense?

it is diffucult to think of them attacking ships.

This Kraken is actually so told to be very territorial with ecxellent sight range. So with the attacking ship thing, they might have just felt endangered and attacked out of instinct.

Could it it be that huge that it attacks with its tentacles while it is still on the ocean floor?! unsure.gif

Sperm whales have been found with huge sucker-mark scars on their body which leads scientist to believe the giant squids we've found washed ashore on beaches are only small specimens.

Old classic photos. thumbsup.gif

I consider myself to be the sites resident Giant Squid expert. I've done so much research and studying on them, i've even had chat sessions with the worlds leading researcher on the Giant and Colossal Squids, Dr. Steve O'Shea.

In my opinion it's a definate yes that the Kraken of old is what old sailors interpreted the Giant Squid as. Mainly the Kraken was a story blown out of proportion based on the bodies of Giant Squid washed up on shores. But it has been documented that in some waters Giant Squid will attack ships because from underwater the shape directly resembles the Giant Squids main predator, the Sperm Whale. It's the same reason why most Great White Sharks attack humans, because their surfboards look like their main prey Sealions.

The biggest Colossal Squids ever discovered get up to about 75 feet with clubbed arms extended, and it is speculated they could get bigger. But a mile across? Well first off how would you measure a sleeping Squid that's a mile long and wide? You don't, it's simply an extremely exaggerated story based on the flickers of truth.

The Colossal Squid. Generally bigger than the Giant Squid, the Colossal has replaced the huge suckers on it's clubs with razor-sharp hooks that can swivel in place and hook onto just about anything, digging in deeper with the swivelling action. Quite scary. Extend your index finger in a hook shape, that's the average size of just one of the hooks, and they have ALOT.

The Colossal Squid. Generally bigger than the Giant Squid, the Colossal has replaced the huge suckers on it's clubs with razor-sharp hooks that can swivel in place and hook onto just about anything, digging in deeper with the swivelling action. Quite scary. Extend your index finger in a hook shape, that's the average size of just one of the hooks, and they have ALOT.

421465[/snapback]

I've just done some reading up on it, damn that is one mean son of a beeyatch. Imagine seeing one of those come for you while being in the wayer, I'd prefer a Great White Shark over one of those things any day. I bet it would be a terrible, painful death, even compared to that of a shark. Ugh.

You wouldn't want to face off with one.

The suckers have tiny razors on them too. First it would latch onto you with it's long club-arms, it's hooks digging deep into your skin and swivelling to get a good grip. If that doesn't kill you, you'll be pulled into it's sucker tentacles. Each tentacle would grip onto you with several hundred razor suckers and if you're still alive after that you'll have the privaledge of being drawn into it's beak, which it would use to cut insicions in your body and actually suck out all the fluids in you, leaving you looking somewhat like a soggy prune.

Nasty.

the kraken is awesome!!! of course people all over the world have seen one and [and it is real ] its no a whale it's a living creature! it attack and kills the sailors of ship unfortunate enough to stumble on to it of course it was created in ancient times so anything they hadent seen it freaked them out thats probably how the scylla, hydra, leviathen, golems, goblins, dwarves and elves where created odd lokking things or creatures laugh.gifunsure.gif

post-13139-1103912233.jpg

weird people mistake lots of thing for creatures midgets as dwarves, long eared people elves and all kinds of stuff

post-13139-1103912347.jpg

*pats inuronin's head*

Good boy. Have a cookie.

The Marie Celeste was found intact but abandoned in mid-ocean. Some people say that this ship was attacked by the kraken.

You wouldn't want to face off with one.

The suckers have tiny razors on them too. First it would latch onto you with it's long club-arms, it's hooks digging deep into your skin and swivelling to get a good grip. If that doesn't kill you, you'll be pulled into it's sucker tentacles. Each tentacle would grip onto you with several hundred razor suckers and if you're still alive after that you'll have the privaledge of being drawn into it's beak, which it would use to cut insicions in your body and actually suck out all the fluids in you, leaving you looking somewhat like a soggy prune.

Nasty.

421545[/snapback]

Awww you make it sound so loveable, I actually want to pat one now... yes.gifhmm.gif

The Marie Celeste was found intact but abandoned in mid-ocean.  Some people say that this ship was attacked by the kraken.

421760[/snapback]

Any evidence? Perhaps some damage on the deck?

Any evidence? Perhaps some damage on the deck?

it said that there was scratch marks on the side of the ship but I think thats all.

Well i think that there was a Kraken type creater, maybe the were the Predicessor to the Giant and Colossal Squid, but lived along with its breatheran and went extincet in the past few hundred years because of fishing.

~Thanato

Guest Reflection the Hedgehog

Or perhaps the Kraken is similar to the Giant Octopuse in which it looks like one, yet is not a bottem dweller. Or maybe it is a Giant Starfish