Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gigantic Spider in Sri Lanka

quasar_kid

http://metro.co.uk/2...-lanka-3581017/

It's allegedly almost as huge as a human head. Too bad we don't have a comparison, apparently it has its own Wiki page (kinda) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilotheria_rajaei

They're pretty rare, so I'm guessing it has been discovered "by accident".

Edited by quasar_kid
  • Like 2

Wow, how awesome. In the invert pet trade, the Poecilotheria species is given the common name of Ornamental Spiders for good reason. Every one of these arboreal tarantulas are stunningly gorgeous.

This rather oversized species certainly won't be making the pet trade though.

• Like 3

I sincerely hope not, but they probably will make it through the black market.

Sadly, most certainly.

• Like 1

Don't like spiders and snakes.

However it is a nice looking specimen as long as its not close to me.

• Like 2

Some species in the pet trade can fetch $100s of dollars. Such as this one, Poecilotheria metallica:

tumblr_mg0ivzremj1r8x2ybo1_500.jpg

290px-Poecilotheria_metallica.jpg

This species are jungle arboreals, very quick and have a nastier venom than say the common Rose-Hair. No a good choice for inexperience tarantula keepers.

You're welcome.

Here is another, Poecilotheria ornata, and these species are facing major habitat destruction atop of it all. But one benefit is these species have been successfully bred in captivity and that could be useful for conservation purposes.

ornata6.jpg

HANDLING IS NOT RECOMMENDED, THIS SPECIES IS VERY FAST, SKITTISH, AND THE VENOM THOUGH NOT DEADLY MAY REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL.

poecilotheria_ornata1.jpg

Well spiders and me just don't get along! However if I look at the pics posted without thinking of them as being those eight legged creatures that freak me out.....then their colours are rather pretty, especially in blue. I can't believe I said that :unsure2:

• Like 5

Wow, that is one beautiful creature. Thanks for sharing these pics.

I don't really think any spiders or things of that nature should be in captivity. It really is cruel, if you think about it, cooped in a small tank for the rest of their life. Sure, they don't have to hunt as they would in the wild, so don't go hungry, but they're living creatures with feelings and personalities and they must know it's a prison. At least those that are taken directly from the wild. Breaks my heart to think about it, that they don't have the one basic right all animals should be born with: freedom. It's not like you can let them out to wander around the house and give them that little bit of freedom like more domesticated animals.

And people wonder why some captive animals snap out of the blue, like those whales at Sea World.

The difference is that Orcas are highly intelligent and get bored rather easily in confinement, and they are if you'll pardon the expression, "natural born killers" of large mammals. If you put one of these spiders in a say, a 100 gallon tank with plants, branches, hiding places, a bit of sand or soil, water, a heat lamp on one end and feed it regularly with a variety of insects, it would probably be quite content. It'd not like it requires a great deal of intellectual stimulation, it is pretty much driven by instinct. Really it's little different than tropical fish in an aquarium, or a leopard gecko in a terrarium. And like many tropical fish, they can be bred in captivity so if you buy from a breeder you are not taking them out of the wild.

That said I've never had any interest in keeping spiders, but I do think the little jumping spiders are neat.

• Like 1

The big spiders/trantualas have never really creeped me out. It's small ones thta creep me out. I have a really wierd sensitivity about my eyes and ears and the thougth of a spider or similar creature going into my ear terrifies me. lol

Contact lenses.... NEVER happeneing. That is how bad i am with that... lol

• Like 1

I see a SyFy Saturday movie coming out of this. Illegally brought into the country while breeding like rabbits. Or in the wilds of Sri Lanka on an expedition....you can fill in the rest.

As an Australian, I can easily say. Screw spiders.

Here is another, Poecilotheria ornata, and these species are facing major habitat destruction atop of it all. But one benefit is these species have been successfully bred in captivity and that could be useful for conservation purposes.

HANDLING IS NOT RECOMMENDED, THIS SPECIES IS VERY FAST, SKITTISH, AND THE VENOM THOUGH NOT DEADLY MAY REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL.

poecilotheria_ornata1.jpg

Hell NO. Keep that one far, far away from me. EEEkkkkk.

there are almost 50,000 different kinds of spiders. Every day scientist discovers a new species. Spiders are the most highly adaptable creatures on this planet. So if you kill a spider, don't feel to bad. They out number humans by a lot!

Some species in the pet trade can fetch $100s of dollars. Such as this one, Poecilotheria metallica:

tumblr_mg0ivzremj1r8x2ybo1_500.jpg

290px-Poecilotheria_metallica.jpg

This species are jungle arboreals, very quick and have a nastier venom than say the common Rose-Hair. No a good choice for inexperience tarantula keepers.

You should change your screen name to 'the spider man'... :P lol

• Like 1

that's awesome and cool i want one of these types of spiders but i don't feel comfortable feeding it live food though so i won't get one.but nonetheless its cool they found a new species of these spiders though.are they only native in that country though?i seen spiders like tarantulas though at the zoo and etc they are cool

I would never have though you would say that.. lol.. pretty spider!

The most disturbing thing about this is... It suddenly becomes a commodity, something of value rather than a wonder of nature.

As humans why cant we just accept something for its beauty, rather than what it could earn for us.

• Like 1

We have lots of tarantulas here is southern AZ. Just the "regular" kind but they can get pretty big for spiders. I don't mind them at all. We also have "tarantula hawks", which is a huge wasp (I've seen adults about 2 inches) that stings the tarantula when it's in it's burrow, then lays it's eggs on it. The wasp fills in the burrow and the larva eat the tarantula. I've read on a scale of 1 to 10 their sting is a 10. I see one of those things flying at me I'm gonna R U N N O F T! The other thing I hate are scorpions. Try turning on your bedside lamp and see one on the wall next to it!