Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murder suspect planned cannibalism

__Kratos__

PURCELL, Oklahoma (CNN) -- On Kevin Ray Underwood's blog, the 26-year-old described himself as "single, bored and lonely."

He also wrote about last Christmas as being "one of the best Christmases ever to me," according to an Associated Press report, but the same blog contained the question, "If you were a cannibal, what would you wear to dinner?"

"My fantasies are getting weirder and weirder," he wrote in another entry. "Dangerously weird. If people knew the kinds of things I think about anymore, I'd probably be locked away." (Watch how suspect put his violent thoughts online -- 2:03)

Underwood was in a Oklahoma jail cell Monday under a suicide watch, awaiting a 1:30 p.m. CT arraignment in the slaying of a 10-year-old girl, according to McClain County Sheriff Don Hewett.

The body of Jamie Rose Bolin was found late Friday in a plastic tub hidden in a bedroom closet in Underwood's apartment in Purcell, south of Oklahoma City, District Attorney Tim Kuykendall said. According to a police affidavit, Underwood confessed to killing the girl. (Watch how the killing hits hard in a small town -- 1:57)

Purcell Police Chief David Tompkins said investigators think Underwood planned to eat the girl's corpse, according to an AP report.

Kuykendall said that meat tenderizer and barbecue skewers were found in Underwood's apartment, apparently intended to be used on the girl.

The girl's clothes had been removed, but the only outward sign of injury was deep marks to her neck from a decapitation attempt, Kuykendall said. Her clothing was in the tub in which her body was found, along with a towel to soak up blood.

Preliminary autopsy results indicate she was struck in the head several times with a wooden cutting board. Authorities believe Underwood then used his hand and duct tape to asphyxiate her, Kuykendall said.

Authorities do not believe the suspect had any previous victims. Underwood had no felony criminal history and no known mental illness.

However, police believe Jamie was selected simply because she walked past Underwood's apartment on Wednesday -- the last day she was seen alive.

Authorities think she was killed shortly afterward, before police were notified of her disappearance.

The girl "happened to be the one that was ultimately selected for this plan," although others had been targeted and considered, Tompkins said.

"Whoever walked by was going to be a victim," Tompkins said. "There were very likely other potential targets or victims -- it could have been either a boy or a girl, an adult or a child."

Authorities have information that a 5-year-old boy and an adult female were among other victims considered, he said, declining to elaborate.

"A child was chosen because a child would put up less of a fight," Kuykendall said.

He said he had discussed Underwood's alleged plan with Jamie's family.

"It's very hard to talk to a family about things like this," he said. "I kind of look at it in terms of, would I want to know what happened to my daughter, my child?"

Authorities suspect Underwood purchased items such as a hacksaw, the barbecue skewers and meat tenderizer in months leading up to the crime, Kuykendall said. He described Underwood as being cooperative with investigators.

Underwood had worked at a grocery store for about a year and at a fast-food restaurant before then, Tompkins said. He had lived in the apartments about a year and a half.

"He was very quiet ... comes from a nice family" and had a close relationship with relatives, he said. "Nothing in his background that we know of would have indicated that he could have done this. He was the guy next door."

Underwood's mother spoke to the AP on Sunday. "This is something that I don't know where it came from," she said. "He was always a wonderful boy. I would like to be able to tell her family how sorry we are. I just feel so terrible."

A former co-worker described Underwood as "boring," according to the AP. "Trying to get a smile out of him took an act of Congress," said Bill Verdan, who worked with Underwood at a Carl's Jr. restaurant.

In his blog, Underwood talked about depression, the AP reported, asking God in one February entry "to make whatever is wrong in my brain go away, so that I can live like a normal person.

"That's all I want in life, is to be able to live like a normal person."

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:huh: That's pretty messed up.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• coldethyl

• novaceleste

• LostLittleGirl

I wouldn't put my violent thoughts online. I think I would only disclose those to a therpist maybe and get help.

I saw this story on the news this morning. It is such a sad story, and NASTY! :angry2:

• 2 weeks later...

I think anyone that takes a child from a parent needs to be disposed of. These kind of people are society's maggots.

edited for grammar

Edited by coldethyl