Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadian Military and Diplomats Encouraged

acidhead

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/11/...rt-taliban.html

A Senate committee is encouraging Canadian diplomats and the military to open talks with the Taliban if they think they can be productive.

The Senate national security and defence committee says in a new report that while the Afghan mission remains a formidable challenge, considerable progress has been made.

But the committee headed by Liberal Senator Colin Kenny says there have been no improvements in the way progress in Afghanistan is measured or communicated to Canadians.

The six-member panel says Canadian soldiers and government officials operating in Kandahar should talk to the Taliban if they believe communication would encourage disarmament or improve the security of development projects.

It also says Ottawa should pressure its NATO allies to deploy 4,000 additional troops to Kandahar province.

As well, it urges the federal government to send 50 Mounties, 150 municipal and provincial police and up to 500 recently retired police officers from across Canada to Kandahar to train Afghan police.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• The Silver Thong

• Thanato

• keithisco

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats exactly what we should be doing and well, better late than never. Nothing bad can come from talking to them.

Twice it says " talk IF it could be productive" and then is about sending more troops.

Join the club...there has been no improvements in the way progress in Iraq is measured or communicated to Americans either. lol

You know,

Canada always shines out as a beacon of sense and responsibility in North America. Considered and thought-through responses to difficult situations.

Talking is never counter-productive, if nothing else it reveals the levels of entrenchment on both sides.

Twice it says " talk IF it could be productive" and then is about sending more troops.

Join the club...there has been no improvements in the way progress in Iraq is measured or communicated to Americans either. lol

You cannot guage if it will be productive, unless you try it first. You cannot pre-judge talking or its outcomes.

Edited by keithisco

I think you and I are reading it quite differently.

Thats exactly what we should be doing and well, better late than never. Nothing bad can come from talking to them.

Apart from getting all hostage-y and behead-ey.

I'll talk to them... With a Bullet. See if they get the message.

~Thanato

YEH....cry HAVOK & let loose the dogs (& rednecks) of war.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

You do know you're talking to a Canadian? :P

You do know you're talking to a Canadian? :P

LOL but have you ever tried talking to the average American about anything that takes place out of the U.S. They all think there right, well except for the ones here of course, double tongue on you :P:P

You cannot guage if it will be productive, unless you try it first. You cannot pre-judge talking or its outcomes.

You do realize your talking to an American LOL sorry it had to be done :P

Talk DOWN to them.

Let them understand that NATO and the Afghan people have the power and we CHOOSE to have talks with them. Be as reasonable as possible, but take the poisition of power, confidence is key.

Good luck.

You do realize your talking to an American LOL sorry it had to be done :P

:lol: Turd...

I should have let him go on thinking he was talking to an American, agreed with Thanato and let him make a fool out of himself. :P

The assumptions people make really get on my nerves.

LOL but have you ever tried talking to the average American about anything that takes place out of the U.S. They all think there right, well except for the ones here of course, double tongue on you :P:P

You mean while you're telling us how wrong we are and how right you are? :yes:

:lol: Turd...

I should have let him go on thinking he was talking to an American, agreed with Thanato and let him make a fool out of himself. :P

The assumptions people make really get on my nerves.

NO... you are making a fool of yourself, A bullet in the head? you are sick... no-one in this world deserves that without just cause... You glory in war, you glory in fighting small nations, you know what... you make me sick, try it on with Europe, try it on with Israel, you try it on with Russia, but no.... cowardice is the order of the day for Bush adherents. You cannot even argue a point.

I never said anything about a bullet to the head.

There you go, sterotyping someone else you know nothing about. Your bigotry is showing. ;)

I never said anything about a bullet to the head.

There you go, sterotyping someone else you know nothing about. Your bigotry is showing. ;)

Well you did agree with Thanato who said "I'll talk to them... With a Bullet. See if they get the message." So I think keithisco believes you agree with talking with bullets. I'm actually a little surprised to see Thanato say that :o

Turd :P LOL to funny

Well you did agree with Thanato who said "I'll talk to them... With a Bullet. See if they get the message." So I think keithisco believes you agree with talking with bullets. I'm actually a little surprised to see Thanato say that :o

Turd :P LOL to funny

No, I said I "should have agreed with Thanato" just to get him more riled up.

I am more than a little surprised Thanato said that. Military life must be having an effect on him.

Hey now lol If i new I had a reputation lol

But its just stuff like this that p***es me off. There is no central leadership with the Taliban anymore its all cells acting under a phylosiphy and I know people who were outside the wire and were in the ****. the taliban will kill you with out thinking the difference between us and them is we dont want to kill them. And I never said I would shoot them. Just shoot in their general direction. If they get the message good. . . if not. . . oh well sucks to be him.

Talking is only good when you have a barganing chip and I think peppering his location with 5.56mm or hell 7.62mm maybe even a 120mm might be the best bargening chip we have against the taliban right now. Considering they still murder children for going to school, women for being seen in public with out a burka on, and all sorts of other **** that is not on.

I want to go to the Stan to protect as many people as I can. I want to go there to **** over as many badguys as I can... and save lives by passing on the correct information.

Semper Vigilantes

~Thanato

I'll talk to them... With a Bullet. See if they get the message.

~Thanato

Yeah, that has really worked well so far, right?

No, I said I "should have agreed with Thanato" just to get him more riled up.

I am more than a little surprised Thanato said that. Military life must be having an effect on him.

Opps sorry my bad....

Hey Thanato how long have you been in basic training now? are you almost ready to go over?

Im on my QL3 Course right now. . . but im Reserve (not not a weekend warrior *****) Im on a 4 month course same as the Regs. Im hoping to go over before the end of the mission. . . probably 2010 or 2011. Cause I got college and **** in there too.

~Thanato