Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Advertising links in the status messages?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,845 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Try Internet Explorer, Safari or Chrome on your home laptop, the malware might only be affecting Firefox.

Furthering that thought, make sure you don't have a rogue Firefox plug-in installed.

#17    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Okay one question. This laptop has Windows 7 on it. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of W7. We still have XP at work. (No comments please.) I remember with an older version you had to turn off the restore thing before something could really be cleaned or removed from your computer, otherwise at a restart, Windope would put it all back, malware included. Do I have to turn off restore like that in W7?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#18    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,788 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

it really does sound like malware or virus
try doing a hijack. if you don't know how to do a hijack or read the results of one there are sites online that will do that for you.
i've had stuff going on in the past similiar to your issue and doing a hijack found things that antivirus programs missed.

Edited by JGirl, 29 December 2012 - 06:16 PM.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#19    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,845 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 29 December 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Okay one question. This laptop has Windows 7 on it. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of W7. We still have XP at work. (No comments please.) I remember with an older version you had to turn off the restore thing before something could really be cleaned or removed from your computer, otherwise at a restart, Windope would put it all back, malware included. Do I have to turn off restore like that in W7?

I use Windows 7 and as far as I know you don't need to disable anything in order to delete or uninstall anything from your system, not unless you have specifically set up the Windows Restore feature to reset to a previous checkpoint on every reboot.

#20    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostJGirl, on 29 December 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

it really does sound like malware or virus
try doing a hijack. if you don't know how to do a hijack or read the results of one there are sites online that will do that for you.
i've had stuff going on in the past similiar to your issue and doing a hijack found things that antivirus programs missed.

Totally lost me there, JGirl. Searching Google only gives me results that I'm quite sure have nothing at all to do with computers.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#21    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,788 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 30 December 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

Totally lost me there, JGirl. Searching Google only gives me results that I'm quite sure have nothing at all to do with computers.
i will pm you so i don't derail the thread ok?

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#22    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thanks loads!

#23    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Okay I decided to do the one thing I hadn't done yet before diving into JGirl's suggestion. I'm logged in on my laptop and browsing with Internet Explorer and see none of the random advert links I saw in Firefox. So I guess I'm dumping FF and getting Chrome in its place.

#24    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well THAT was a colossal failure. :( I am now on Google Chrome and see the advertisement links again. And it is only on this site that I see stuff like this. It is annoying to say the least.

#25    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,845 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

But not Internet Explorer - it's quite possible that whatever is causing this on your computer is affecting only certain browsers.

I think your best bet is to do a really full and thorough security scan using more than one application.

#26    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

I have had a similiar problem recently, and my best advice is, as your system seems extremely hijacked, to re-install windows. I know it's a hassle, but it will resolve your problems.

Edit: I think it's a rootkit issue.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 30 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#27    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostSaru, on 30 December 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

But not Internet Explorer - it's quite possible that whatever is causing this on your computer is affecting only certain browsers.

I think your best bet is to do a really full and thorough security scan using more than one application.

I have scanned with AVG, Avast!, Ad-aware, and Iobit Advanced Care. Ad-aware found something, but whatever it found wasn't causing the problem. Avast! is the only one I could figure out how to do a boot-time scan with and it found two things, but it's indicating a low severity.

#28    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,845 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Have you checked for plug-ins / extensions on Firefox ?

#29    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,794 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

No, I didn't. I just uninstalled Firefox and installed Chrome in its place.

I also decided to download and run Malwarebytes last night. That found nothing, but I know there's something on my computer because I started noticing things elsewhere. For instance, an advertising banner on Facebook. Anyone who uses Facebook knows they don't have banners, they have small ads. Whatever this is doesn't want to be found, that's for sure!! I've never experienced something so stubborn!

Edited by Lady Kasey, 31 December 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#30    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,996 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

You may have to go to some of the big boys - Norton or Kaspersky, I have a trial free version of Norton (that just sort of addended itself to something else I was downloading for windows as a freebie and I use Kaspersky 100% of the time anyway, so far so good.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users