Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Are Gargoyles Real?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:11 AM

In 1963, I was about 15 years old and my sister was about 11 years old.  We lived in Colma, California, known as the Cemetary capital of the world.  My mother use to send us off to gather berries in an uncultivated area of the city that had a deep ravine.  

This particular day she sent the both of us to gather the berries, my sister and I found some bushes impacted with berries so we started filling our baskets.  I looked further down the ravine and saw a large object.  Being curious and adventurous I climbed down the hill to it.  To my horror I saw this huge, ugly dragon-like object that was stiff and probably dead.  As I was screaming for my sister to come down, I looked it over mesmerized by how odd it looked.  It was about 8 ft in length, bat-like wings outstretched about another 8 ft, huge claw-like feet, and a squarish long head with huge, sharp teeth.  It looked dead, laying on it's back and it's claws were pointing stiffly upward.  My sister finally arrived, but by that time I was ready to run for my life, calling out to her to run with me, she was standing there hypnotized by the sight of the grotesque looking beast.  After screaming at her a number of times to follow me, she finally started screaming too and followed me running all the way home.  Mom asked us what we were so upset about and we told her our story.  She laughed at us but asked our brother to follow us back to our sighting because we both screamed out to her the same story.  We arrived back at the scene with my brother, but the mysterious animal had disappeared.  My brother laughed at us all the way home, but to this day my sister and I remember that day and the animal we saw in vivid detail.  

After becoming adults we saw movies about gargoyles and realized that, that was the animal we saw when we were young.  I've done some internet research, but have never found anyone who ever saw one.  All the stories about these mysterious animals say that they are mythical, but I know and believe they are real.  

I'm 61 years old, old enough to know better, and stick to my experience 100%.  This was no childhood dream.  My sister and I both remember that day.

The gargoyle I remember looks something like this drawing.Attached File  gargoyle.jpg   16.65K   109 downloads

Edited by MoonlightMadness, 08 September 2009 - 05:12 AM.

#2    Insaniac

Insaniac

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

Closest thing to a Gargoyle you could have possibly seen is a Flying Fox. Maybe the sight of a dead animal at such a young age traumatised you for a short while into believing it was some sort of monster.

Hope this helps.

These Flying Fox pictures look kinda Gargoyle-ish: http://lh3.ggpht.com... FLYING FOX.jpg

And - http://www.thewebsit..._flying_fox.jpg

Edited by Insaniac, 08 September 2009 - 05:52 AM.

"He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened their heart against Him, and succeeded"? ~ Job 9:4

#3    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

View PostMoonlightMadness, on 08 September 2009 - 05:11 AM, said:

In 1963, I was about 15 years old and my sister was about 11 years old.  We lived in Colma, California, known as the Cemetary capital of the world.  My mother use to send us off to gather berries in an uncultivated area of the city that had a deep ravine.  

This particular day she sent the both of us to gather the berries, my sister and I found some bushes impacted with berries so we started filling our baskets.  I looked further down the ravine and saw a large object.  Being curious and adventurous I climbed down the hill to it.  To my horror I saw this huge, ugly dragon-like object that was stiff and probably dead.  As I was screaming for my sister to come down, I looked it over mesmerized by how odd it looked.  It was about 8 ft in length, bat-like wings outstretched about another 8 ft, huge claw-like feet, and a squarish long head with huge, sharp teeth.  It looked dead, laying on it's back and it's claws were pointing stiffly upward.  My sister finally arrived, but by that time I was ready to run for my life, calling out to her to run with me, she was standing there hypnotized by the sight of the grotesque looking beast.  After screaming at her a number of times to follow me, she finally started screaming too and followed me running all the way home.  Mom asked us what we were so upset about and we told her our story.  She laughed at us but asked our brother to follow us back to our sighting because we both screamed out to her the same story.  We arrived back at the scene with my brother, but the mysterious animal had disappeared.  My brother laughed at us all the way home, but to this day my sister and I remember that day and the animal we saw in vivid detail.  

After becoming adults we saw movies about gargoyles and realized that, that was the animal we saw when we were young.  I've done some internet research, but have never found anyone who ever saw one.  All the stories about these mysterious animals say that they are mythical, but I know and believe they are real.  

I'm 61 years old, old enough to know better, and stick to my experience 100%.  This was no childhood dream.  My sister and I both remember that day.

The gargoyle I remember looks something like this drawing.Attachment gargoyle.jpg

#4    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

I'm serious about what we saw.  Plus, I wasn't a child, I was 15 years old.  I am 61 years old today and still remember what I saw very clearly.  My sister saw the same thing; so you're saying the two of us were traumatized by your supposed dead animal, come on.  Also, what happened to the supposed dead animal when we came back?  I believe, as the supposed myths say, gargoyles do not leave their dead behind so a live one came and swooped it away.  That's why I came forward with my story, so that others who have experienced the same will also come forward.

#5    cheo_vl

cheo_vl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

• "the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

you have to remember you were kids, so maybe what you saw as being 8 ft long was really much smaller

#6    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

short answer: yes, the statues are real.
as for them being real physical beings capable of thought and movement, no.

the truth is out there....

#7    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

View PostMoonlightMadness, on 08 September 2009 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'm serious about what we saw.  Plus, I wasn't a child, I was 15 years old.  I am 61 years old today and still remember what I saw very clearly.  My sister saw the same thing; so you're saying the two of us were traumatized by your supposed dead animal, come on.  Also, what happened to the supposed dead animal when we came back?  I believe, as the supposed myths say, gargoyles do not leave their dead behind so a live one came and swooped it away.  That's why I came forward with my story, so that others who have experienced the same will also come forward.

#8    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

View Postcheo_vl, on 08 September 2009 - 05:00 PM, said:

you have to remember you were kids, so maybe what you saw as being 8 ft long was really much smaller

I agree about the size, but what we saw was as I described, and I was a distance away when picking berries, so the creature was large enough for me to see.  It was almost twice my size.

#9    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

I have seen many gargoyles on the sides of old buildings, so I can confidently say yes, they are real.

Unless what you saw was made of stone, it wasn't a gargoyle.

Posted Image

#10    Souless1

Souless1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

• Arguing on message boards is like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

Personally, I've never seen the animal you describe. However, I can't prove they don't exist. I think the most important thing a person can possess is an open mind. If reality as we know it is based on belief, and you believe that you saw this animal, then you saw it. The flip side of that coin is that people that do not believe in such things can't see them and never will until their beliefs change.

#11    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

View PostSouless1, on 10 September 2009 - 03:54 PM, said:

Personally, I've never seen the animal you describe. However, I can't prove they don't exist. I think the most important thing a person can possess is an open mind. If reality as we know it is based on belief, and you believe that you saw this animal, then you saw it. The flip side of that coin is that people that do not believe in such things can't see them and never will until their beliefs change.

Thank you for the most intelligent and thought out answer yet.  It makes the most sense because when we brought my brother back to check it out with us, who is the most unbelieving person in the world to this day, it was gone.

#12    kitty515

kitty515

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

that is so awsome! you are so lucky! I wish I could see a real live gargoyle  :cry:

#13    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

View PostMoonlightMadness, on 08 September 2009 - 04:41 PM, said:

where did you hear this myth about gargoyles (the they don't leave the dead behind bit) as gargoyles were never real, it was a term used for statues that functioned as water spouts the very word comes from the French gargouille, originally "throat" or "gullet" which comes from the Latin gurgulio, gula, and similar words derived from the root gar, "to swallow" which represented the gurgling sound of water. the statues most people refer to as gargoyles (that don't function as part of guttering) were originally referred to as chimeras after the mythical chimera or grotesque after there appearance but later fell under the umbrella term gargoyle. I don't know what you saw but anything you've heard about gargoyles is likely made up (probably in the 1900's when gargoyles started appearing in some horror stories) sorry

see wikipedia if you don't believe me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle

Edited by Spend, 09 October 2009 - 10:35 AM.

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#14    maximaldecimal

maximaldecimal

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

• Just cuz I'm schitzo doesn't make me nuts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

I would encourage the sceptics to open thier minds a little to the undiscovered possibilities and the fact that proving something does exist is quite possible however proving something does not is very hard and simply saying modern science hasn't found it  yet does not constitute proof.  As for the OP brilliant story.  I think it could have been some kind of draconic being since the subsequent posts seem to agree that gargoyles are made of stone.  I would also like to thank you for coming fourth with your story.  I myself have seen many statues that seemed to move. In expression mostely as if possesed by some elemental imbueing.  I would stare at them as the emoted sending back emotions of my own from time to time, I like to make them giggle.  Of course most of the time when this would happen I would be very drunk or otherwise enebriated. Quite explainable by the logic modern science seems to clutch to so desperately.  However that doesn't mean something else was not happening also.

I am nothing, I am infinite, I am one.

#15    MoonlightMadness

MoonlightMadness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Moonlight Madness

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

View Postmaximaldecimal, on 09 October 2009 - 07:46 PM, said:

I would encourage the sceptics to open thier minds a little to the undiscovered possibilities and the fact that proving something does exist is quite possible however proving something does not is very hard and simply saying modern science hasn't found it  yet does not constitute proof.  As for the OP brilliant story.  I think it could have been some kind of draconic being since the subsequent posts seem to agree that gargoyles are made of stone.  I would also like to thank you for coming fourth with your story.  I myself have seen many statues that seemed to move. In expression mostely as if possesed by some elemental imbueing.  I would stare at them as the emoted sending back emotions of my own from time to time, I like to make them giggle.  Of course most of the time when this would happen I would be very drunk or otherwise enebriated. Quite explainable by the logic modern science seems to clutch to so desperately.  However that doesn't mean something else was not happening also.

Thank you for your post.  It's possible it was some sort of dragon; however, it wasn't as big as a dragon.  Gives me something to think about though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users