Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hassan Rouhani is Iran's next president

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

(CNN) -- Iranian centrist candidate Hassan Rouhani has won the Islamic republic's presidential election, Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar announced Saturday.

http://edition.cnn.c...ions/index.html

My opinion: Nothing will change, Rouhani is one of them (as Khamenehi ---> radical Islamist), they hate everyone and just prefer to Islam and its laws. Poor Iran and poor iranian people :( .

Edited by Persia, 15 June 2013 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,961 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Well he claims to have said that he will talk and build better relationships of the West, only talk. But the Iranian presidents do get scrutinized by their own government

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,184 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think the younger people of Iran are sick of Islam.  Read a story a few months ago where a cleric was beat up by some girls because he objected to how they were dressed.

#4    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hope he is a change even a small one in the right direction.

Of course some of it seems like puppetry. Put in a moderate but one still that can be controlled just as a thrown bone to the masses of youth.

They knew full well had not a moderate ran and won that they would have faced mass protest as in after the '09 election. Votes are fair and they demand change.

Still this is just temporary, the youth want change, they will get it no matter how much the old school hold on. They too wanted change in the late '70s and early '80s and got it. They had their chance and only veered toward religous fundamentalism away from hyper-capitalism but failed to find a happy medium.

Time to pass on the torch you ruhanis and ayatollahs. Support the dreams of your people instead of trying to temper them with vetted candidates of your choosing alone. Allow the cultural conflict between old and young to be solved through fair democratic elections. The realm of religion will remain and could be strengthened with your blessing of allowing true freedom of choice in the matter.

Whenever change does come hope it is in the way of true neutrals such as Tito when he claimed to be non-aligned and not just a pawn of Russia or America.

An independent and free Iran would be good for the world. In one measure this requires they achieve nuclear energy production and then show the world they mean no harm. Without that they will just be acquiescent puppets of either us or Russia. As long as they are not allowed it they remain under Russia's thumb allowing Russia to pretend to support them but a nuclear Iran would be an independent Iran. An Iran that agrees to American plans to keep them without nuclear energy is an Iran under our thumb. So the road is slippery but a multipolar world is a good hope for alter-globalization.

Face it we are in an era of globalization but we can still choose the shape of it by focusing more on that instead of devoting all our attention on the snares of national politics and nationalism. I prefer a middle path between globalization and alter-globalization, not one or the other which seem to just be plans of domination vs a reaction. We need a pragmatic preventive approach while avoiding debt creation schemes and their accompanying austerity measures which are still just neo-colonialism transfers of wealth from borrowers to lenders.

Post-neo-colonialism is the hope of the future. A middle path between globalization and alter-globalization.

Edited by The world needs you, 15 June 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#5    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Lets hope things in that area will cool down now. Cautiously hopeful.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#6    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,297 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

Status Quo.  I don't think you can expect much reform from a politician who dresses like an Ayatollah.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,203 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostBlack Red Devil, on 16 June 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

Status Quo.  I don't think you can expect much reform from a politician who dresses like an Ayatollah.
This guy was/is a supporter of Hashemi Rafsanjani.   Rafsanjani once openly called for the destruction of Israel with nukes so I'm thinking this guy isn't so moderate.  But time will tell.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,351 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

If the guy in western dress and no beard was a "Holocaust denier" and wanted to "wipe Israel off the map" I don't see how any bearded figurehead of the government in Islamic garb could represent political change from the status quo the west will approve of, much less resist that kind of willful dishonesty from the western media.   Did another candidate who lost the election?   If so, how so?  

I think it's worth noting that a platform appealing to "tradition, reform" looks at a glance to be at odds with itself.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,665 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostYamato, on 16 June 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

If the guy in western dress and no beard was a "Holocaust denier" and wanted to "wipe Israel off the map" I don't see how any bearded figurehead of the government in Islamic garb could represent political change from the status quo the west will approve of, much less resist that kind of willful dishonesty from the western media.   Did another candidate who lost the election?   If so, how so?  

I think it's worth noting that a platform appealing to "tradition, reform" looks at a glance to be at odds with itself.
Perhaps we shouldn't judge this book by it's cover, just yet.

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,203 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

The true power in their system is the man at the top.  Khamanei is the one who makes the broad strokes... this guy is only marginally in control.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

I am encouraged.  The man identified as the most "moderate" wins an absolute victory over several others.  He may not be as "moderate" as the west would like, but it shows pretty clearly how much of the Iranian population thinks, in spite of the control by the Mullahs.

As much as possible it is good if societies are allowed to have their own evolution, as the revolutionaries die off and their successors are more flexible and of the next generation.  This happens even better when terms of office are limited.

The problem in Iran has been fear that it will develop nuclear weapons and then blackmail the West and the moderate Muslim states (especially the Saudis).  If they continue their present course, at some time preventive intervention is going to be necessary, probably in the form of air strikes.  However, it seems some time should be allowed to pass to see how the new regime evolves.

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,203 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 June 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

I am encouraged.  The man identified as the most "moderate" wins an absolute victory over several others.  He may not be as "moderate" as the west would like, but it shows pretty clearly how much of the Iranian population thinks, in spite of the control by the Mullahs.

As much as possible it is good if societies are allowed to have their own evolution, as the revolutionaries die off and their successors are more flexible and of the next generation.  This happens even better when terms of office are limited.

The problem in Iran has been fear that it will develop nuclear weapons and then blackmail the West and the moderate Muslim states (especially the Saudis).  If they continue their present course, at some time preventive intervention is going to be necessary, probably in the form of air strikes.  However, it seems some time should be allowed to pass to see how the new regime evolves.
No doubt it will, unless Israel sees no other choice.  The power rests with Khamanei, just as it did in Ahmadinejad's tenure.  The world is acting as though a nuclear Iran is a manageable problem.  Kind of like it estimated Hitler's 3rd Reich to be.  When the threshold is crossed and Iran is a nuclear power it will be far too late to try and stop their plans.  They will push some Israeli government a bit farther than they mean to and the world will finally get their proof of the danger of Iranian nukes.

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,837 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

At frist he will be all good then he will change

#14    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostPersia, on 15 June 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

My opinion: Nothing will change, Rouhani is one of them (as Khamenehi ---> radical Islamist), they hate everyone and just prefer to Islam and its laws. Poor Iran and poor iranian people :( .

Exactly. The Iranians had the "choice" between a number of candidates selected by the Supreme Islamic Council --- i.e. a choice between radical islamists.

Anybody expecting a change from this "election" must also be expecting a "change" in a turnover in the North Korean Kim dynasty.

View Postcoolguy, on 17 June 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

At frist he will be all good then he will change

How do you define "all good"?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#15    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,351 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 16 June 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Perhaps we shouldn't judge this book by it's cover, just yet.
Are the Imams not really in power anymore because of this new figure head?   Of course they are.   I was never convinced by the media propa why Ahmadinejad was so bad, and I haven't even heard a hypothetical reason why this guy is going to be any better.  We're engaging in full scale economic war with Iran and maybe this guy will submit to the will of his enemies?  Is that the hope?

This book is nothing but cover, Wearer.  That's something that anyone who ever rabble roused about Ahmadinejad couldn't understand.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users