Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guillermo del Toro’s At The Mountains Of Mad

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society has done some good adaptations given the budget they must have to work with.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#17    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Their Call of Cthulhu was an achievement in every sense. Whisperer in Darkness fell a little short of the story, but it was still enjoyable in a slightly more pulpy, B-move way. I still love it.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#18    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I did like how they did not show the Mi-Gos completely until a good length in.  Prior to that only a silhouette from the one room, and then a bit of leg as the one left the house.

There is a collection of Lovecraft films on DVD; The H.P. Lovecraft Collection Vol 1-5.  First one is Cool Air, ASIN: B0006HCT3S.

They have the films from the last several H.P. Lovecraft Film Festivals, most in black and white.  Some of the short films among the collection are;
  • Cool Air
  • Nyarlathotep
  • The  Hound
  • The Music of Eric ZannT
  • The Terrible Old Man
  • From Beyond
An excellent collection to have in my opinion.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#19    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostHasina, on 13 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I wonder who will act in it. Any guesses or hopes?
Well the article I posted said Tom Cruise was reall interested in it so he might throw his hat in the ring for being an actor in it. But other than that I dont know because each actor has to fit a specific character from the story.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#20    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostUrisk, on 14 January 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Their Call of Cthulhu was an achievement in every sense. Whisperer in Darkness fell a little short of the story, but it was still enjoyable in a slightly more pulpy, B-move way. I still love it.
I never got to see that movie wasnt it a silent film ? Whisperer In Darkness I actually loved I liked that it was pulpy.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostInsanity, on 14 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I did like how they did not show the Mi-Gos completely until a good length in.  Prior to that only a silhouette from the one room, and then a bit of leg as the one left the house.

There is a collection of Lovecraft films on DVD; The H.P. Lovecraft Collection Vol 1-5.  First one is Cool Air, ASIN: B0006HCT3S.

They have the films from the last several H.P. Lovecraft Film Festivals, most in black and white.  Some of the short films among the collection are;
  • Cool Air
  • Nyarlathotep
  • The  Hound
  • The Terrible Old Man
  • From Beyond

Iv seen Cool Air, Dagon, Whisperer in Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, I think thats it.  Ill have to look into that dvd set you mentioned

#22    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 January 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Well the article I posted said Tom Cruise was reall interested in it so he might throw his hat in the ring for being an actor in it. But other than that I dont know because each actor has to fit a specific character from the story.
Well, he may be insane and tiny, but at least Tom Cruise can act.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#23    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 January 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

I hope not as Prof. Dyer.  Maybe Danforth, Cruise has the insanity already, so he could do the end scene well.

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 January 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I never got to see that movie wasnt it a silent film ? Whisperer In Darkness I actually loved I liked that it was pulpy.

Yes, the HPLHS film for this was done as an old black and white silent film using Mythoscope.

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 January 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Iv seen Cool Air, Dagon, Whisperer in Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, I think thats it.  Ill have to look into that dvd set you mentioned

There are actually many films based on or are more or less direct adaptations of Lovecraft, I've managed to collect several.  Sometimes I just have to sit down a do a Lovecraft weekend, and watch a bunch.
  • Dagon
  • Cthulhu (2000)
  • Cthulhu (2007)
  • Cool Air
  • The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
  • Die, Monster, Die!
  • The Dunwich Horror (1970)
  • From Beyond (1986)
  • Re-Animator films
  • The Resurrected
  • In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

#24    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

This thread and the other thread on HPL has inspired me to dig out my Arkham House volumes.

The nights here atm are chilly with some gusty winds, the perfect atmosphere by which to read HPL.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#25    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

One of my friends was traveling across Australia by train for business, long trip so it was dark out as well.  I suggested he read The Shadow Out of Time.

#26    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostInsanity, on 15 January 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

One of my friends was traveling across Australia by train for business, long trip so it was dark out as well.  I suggested he read The Shadow Out of Time.

Oh great idea! As if the poisonous snakes and spiders and man-eating ants aren't enough, now he'll be afraid of flying polyps :lol:

View PostInsanity, on 14 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

• Cool Air
  • Nyarlathotep
  • The  Hound
  • The Terrible Old Man
  • From Beyond

The MiGos. Yeah they were kinda cool I guess. Stillnot sold on the CG :( But you're right ,the use of shadow is incredible, and they probably should've left it kind of at that. Like Alien. They could've had a puppet that you only see little bits of. But hey, they still did very well with the story!

I've seen the first reanimator, and i remember a trailer of From Beyond. If it's anything like Reanimator, I have to see it for sheer splatter value :lol:

Speaking of... seen this? It's well made and mildly terrifying

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#27    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

That was brilliant Urisk! I found that short superior to Stuart Gordon's From Beyond which is abit cheesy and not the least bit frightening.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#28    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

View PostUrisk, on 15 January 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Oh great idea! As if the poisonous snakes and spiders and man-eating ants aren't enough, now he'll be afraid of flying polyps :lol:

The MiGos. Yeah they were kinda cool I guess. Stillnot sold on the CG :( But you're right ,the use of shadow is incredible, and they probably should've left it kind of at that. Like Alien. They could've had a puppet that you only see little bits of. But hey, they still did very well with the story!

I've seen the first reanimator, and i remember a trailer of From Beyond. If it's anything like Reanimator, I have to see it for sheer splatter value :lol:

Speaking of... seen this? It's well made and mildly terrifying

Excellent short, and I liked the ball bearings eyes too.

I am currently running a Call of Cthulhu RPG, and one of the places the scenarios may lead them is to The Lost City of Pnakotus of the Yithians in the Northwestern part of Australia.  I am not certain if they will go there, or if all the current characters will make it if they do.  They're currently in Cairo during the 1920s, and are about to have a close encounter with one of Nyarlathotep's cult.  I expect several insanities and deaths.

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Iv also seen The Re-animator and the Bride of The Re-animator.  The mouth of Madness to I would love to get my hands on those Cthulu movies though Iv never seen them, I know big Lovecraft fan right. :blush:

That short was extremely good :tu:

#30    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Have you guys seen this

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users