Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange happenings across the world

Virot Maglan

I was reading the telegraph today and stumbled across this story -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/6913773/San-Franciscos-sea-lions-disappear-from-pier.html

I was just wondering, if anyone could post some other stories of disapearing wildlife and their theories on whats happening?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• TheSearcher

• Sakari

• SilverCougar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sea lions did not disappear, they just moved off to follow their favorite food. I don't see anything strange here...

The sea lions did not disappear, they just moved off to follow their favorite food. I don't see anything strange here...

I do that sometimes..

Then to add to the disapearances, were are all the bees.

The Trobriand Islanders believe that seals will abandon an area exactly a fortnight before there occurs a major earthquake or tsunami. Scientists at the Scripps Institute have verified that the common sea lion, or mares felix, can indeed sense the subtle vibratory shift in the earth's volatile plasma, up to a month before the largest and most deadly quakes. A scroll in the Tokyo Hall of Antiquities records what experts in ancient script believe is the mysterious departure of creatures called "ko-tai," whose description matches the modern animal we call the sea lion, "one-and-a-half moons", or two weeks, before the 320 AD earthquake that leveled Mt. Fuji's sister peak, and brought about the catastrophic subsidence that formed Tokyo Bay. My own researches have shown that the Mississippi seal, once common in the area of New Madrid and Memphis (Fernando De Soto refers to "numerous colonies of seals on both side of the great river, providing nourishment for several tribes hereabouts"), virtually disappeared shortly before the great quake of 1814 -- and never returned.

Simple answer:

Migration, perhaps?

Simple answer:

Migration, perhaps?

Migrate every 20-25 years only?

Migrate every 20-25 years only?

Don't know.

Took a guess. Too lazy to read the article..

What a lazy bum i am...

I actually think there is something to the earthquake theory. The sea lions showed up a short time preceeding the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989. Animals can sense an impending quake, there were quite a few instances of a fellow that researched missing pets in the Bay Area and correlated spikes in the numbers with subsequent earthquakes. There may not now be a quake but if there is one, it'll be an interesting piece of the animal sense puzzle...

I actually think there is something to the earthquake theory. The sea lions showed up a short time preceeding the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989. Animals can sense an impending quake, there were quite a few instances of a fellow that researched missing pets in the Bay Area and correlated spikes in the numbers with subsequent earthquakes. There may not now be a quake but if there is one, it'll be an interesting piece of the animal sense puzzle...

Just heard , but it is not verified , the Sea Lions are up at the Sea Lion Caves in Oregon....Here is another thing similar...

OCEAN SHORES , WA

While the ocean vessel 'Dawn Raider' was commercial fishing for dogfish,

this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes

before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew

members to slip a rope a round it's tail !!! And that's when the **** hit the fan!!.

The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water

at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern

and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out

of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned.

She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current

into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 degree water is considered

ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

Ocean Shores, Washington, is just an hour or so from Longview, Washington . Longview is north of Portland, 45 miles.

Normally we don't see these little fish up here. Wanna take a swim?

Darkmoonlady ......Medford huh?....Cool deal :)

post-92206-126237270394_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sakari

I was reading the telegraph today and stumbled across this story -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/6913773/San-Franciscos-sea-lions-disappear-from-pier.html

I was just wondering, if anyone could post some other stories of disapearing wildlife and their theories on whats happening?

The last Dolphin tried to tell us what was coming... and it's last attempt was misinterpreted as a surprisingly complex back flip while whistling "The Star Spangled Banner" (It was actually saying "So long and thanks for all the fish")....

yeah they just moved up the coast to Oregon

I do find it amusing, that people on here will say "they've been here 20 years why would they just randomly leave"....... ummm for the same reason they just randomly started turning up one day..... food

oh and

Scientists at the Scripps Institute have verified that the common sea lion, or mares felix, can indeed sense the subtle vibratory shift in the earth's volatile plasma, up to a month before the largest and most deadly quakes.
fancy backing that up with a link because that looks alot like pseudo science to me. while some animal do seem to act differently prior to seismic activity there is no scientific proven reason how or why, also there is no reason to consider there departure has anything to do with it

The Trobriand Islanders believe that seals will abandon an area exactly a fortnight before there occurs a major earthquake or tsunami. Scientists at the Scripps Institute have verified that the common sea lion, or mares felix, can indeed sense the subtle vibratory shift in the earth's volatile plasma, up to a month before the largest and most deadly quakes. A scroll in the Tokyo Hall of Antiquities records what experts in ancient script believe is the mysterious departure of creatures called "ko-tai," whose description matches the modern animal we call the sea lion, "one-and-a-half moons", or two weeks, before the 320 AD earthquake that leveled Mt. Fuji's sister peak, and brought about the catastrophic subsidence that formed Tokyo Bay. My own researches have shown that the Mississippi seal, once common in the area of New Madrid and Memphis (Fernando De Soto refers to "numerous colonies of seals on both side of the great river, providing nourishment for several tribes hereabouts"), virtually disappeared shortly before the great quake of 1814 -- and never returned.

Sorry but that is utter tripe. It is not the common sea lion, it is California sea lions, there is no such animal as Mares felix, they are Zalophus californianus. Sea lions follow anchovy and sardine, they have no link with earthquakes, such myths about animals and earthquakes are complete bunk and have been falsified.

There is no such animal as the Mississippi seal.

There is absolutely nothing of value there.

yeah they just moved up the coast to Oregon

I do find it amusing, that people on here will say "they've been here 20 years why would they just randomly leave"....... ummm for the same reason they just randomly started turning up one day..... food

Yep, for the benefit of people that missed the link to the other thread:

Sea Lions Flock to Caves Near Florence

"Cave employees say they've been working with the fish and wildlife in tracking the sea lions, and there's a simple reason they've picked the Oregon Coast.

"We're seeing the sea lions coming up this way from California because of the feeding. If the cold water fish move north to find colder waters, the sea lions have to eat and they follow the fish wherever they go," says Harkins."

oh and fancy backing that up with a link because that looks alot like pseudo science to me.

I concur. Direct link from Scripps please! More than anything I would like to see Scripps response to anyone claiming that they claim sea lions predict earthquakes :lol:. In fact maybe I'll email them.

such myths about animals and earthquakes are complete bunk and have been falsified.

As our supervisor used to say, if one dog barks somewhere before an earthquake happens, it will be all over the news, but noone mentions the hundred thousand of dogs that did not bark....

Edited by Cetacea

Just heard , but it is not verified , the Sea Lions are up at the Sea Lion Caves in Oregon....Here is another thing similar...

OCEAN SHORES , WA

While the ocean vessel 'Dawn Raider' was commercial fishing for dogfish,

this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes

before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew

members to slip a rope a round it's tail !!! And that's when the **** hit the fan!!.

The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water

at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern

and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out

of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned.

She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current

into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 degree water is considered

ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

Ocean Shores, Washington, is just an hour or so from Longview, Washington . Longview is north of Portland, 45 miles.

Normally we don't see these little fish up here. Wanna take a swim?

Darkmoonlady ......Medford huh?....Cool deal :)

Great whites have always been found off Oregon and Washington.

Great whites have always been found off Oregon and Washington.

I allways was under the impression that Great white preffered temperate and cold water to warm water anyway, so it's not really that surprising, or is it?

I allways was under the impression that Great white preffered temperate and cold water to warm water anyway, so it's not really that surprising, or is it?

You are correct, that is why they are rare in the tropics. California, Cape Town, South Australia are the main sites for whites and all of those places have cold water.

So nope, not surprising at all.

You are correct, that is why they are rare in the tropics. California, Cape Town, South Australia are the main sites for whites and all of those places have cold water.

So nope, not surprising at all.

Yay me :P For a change I got some biology fact right.

Don't know.

Took a guess. Too lazy to read the article..

What a lazy bum i am...

felt the same way but i have heard of the bee's missing before and how they are so important to the pollination of plant life but it could just be a case of the worlds climate changing and the wild life sense this and either move or die off, but they are not just vanishing into thin air...........or are they i didn't read the article either....

What if the sea lions had something to do with the earthquake in haiti. Isnt the north American plate next to the caribbean plate so it could have had a sense it was going to happen but not on there side of the plate. Just a hunch

What if the sea lions had something to do with the earthquake in haiti. Isnt the north American plate next to the caribbean plate so it could have had a sense it was going to happen but not on there side of the plate. Just a hunch

The couldn't know that, California sea lions do cannot sense earthquakes, just like the other species around California, the Stellar sea lion, can't sense earthquakes. You do realise that the sea lions at peir 39 are not the only sea lions in the SF area don't you? There is a sizable population on the Farralon islands.