Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gosnell found guilty of murder

Keel M.

I apologise to the moderators in advance if there was once a thread regarding this man and his horrific deeds which got deleted due to its content. I understand if it needs to be removed.

A jury has found abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell guilty of three counts of first-degree murder after deliberating for 10 days on the case.

Prosecutors are expected to now seek the death penalty for Gosnell.

The 72-year-old was charged with killing four premature babies by severing their spinal cords after they were born alive in his Philadelphia clinic. He was acquitted of one of those charges and convicted in three. Gosnell was also found guilty in the accidental death of a patient who died after receiving an abortion and a lethal mix of sedatives and painkillers at his clinic.

Gosnell's lawyers argued during the trial that no babies were born alive in the clinic.

Full story

• Like 3

Just heard about this! Hope he gets the death penalty. I think I read that one prosecutor cried when the verdict was read...

• Like 3

What really ticks me off is that the box (or whatever you call it) at the trial reserved for journalists was empty. :( Now if he had used a gun, you can bet it would be full to overflowing!

• Like 7

When the violence inevitably begins here in America, I will not at all be sorrowful for the journalists if they are targeted. They bear a great portion of responsibility in shaping this morass of evil that is consuming our country. Wonder who they'll blame when the poor and defenseless they have advocated for so long, start shooting them in the streets?

• Like 2

While I am for abortions in the first couple of months what Gosnell did was nothing but murder. Hope he gets the death penalty.

I wonder if reporters were not allowed in the court room or if they just didn't see this trial as important.

• Like 4

While I am for abortions in the first couple of months what Gosnell did was nothing but murder. Hope he gets the death penalty.

I wonder if reporters were not allowed in the court room or if they just didn't see this trial as important.

My understanding is, they just didn't see it as important, because there was a "box" (whatever that is) reserved for them at the trial. I could have misunderstood but that's my understanding.

• Like 2

My understanding is, they just didn't see it as important, because there was a "box" (whatever that is) reserved for them at the trial. I could have misunderstood but that's my understanding.

This is what I understood as well. If it were a single unit like MSNBC I could understand. But NONE of the major outlets except Fox covered this trial and the reason is glaringly obvious I think. They simply are too wrapped up in the causes of the left/progressives in this country to do ANYTHING that would detract or even embarrass them. "It would be better for that man that he have a millstone around his neck and be thrown into the sea than if he offend one of these little ones" Our Lord was pretty clear, I think.
  • Like 3

This is what I understood as well. If it were a single unit like MSNBC I could understand. But NONE of the major outlets except Fox covered this trial and the reason is glaringly obvious I think. They simply are too wrapped up in the causes of the left/progressives in this country to do ANYTHING that would detract or even embarrass them. "It would be better for that man that he have a millstone around his neck and be thrown into the sea than if he offend one of these little ones" Our Lord was pretty clear, I think.

:tu: Good Post!

• Like 1

I just read a story about how ABC ran the story on World News about the Conviction. And they tried to play it like they had no idea that this trial had been going on

Finally: 56 Days Later, ABC Ends Blackout and Covers Gosnell 'House of Horrors'

http://newsbusters.o...0#ixzz2TDVLCX4t

DIANE SAWYER: And now we turn to a verdict making headlines tonight, fueling arguments on all sides about abortion in America.

What arguements are there to this case? That live born babies SHOULD be allowed to be killed? Such an ignorant opening statement by Mrs Sawyer.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

I just read a story about how ABC ran the story on World News about the Conviction. And they tried to play it like they had no idea that this trial had been going on

Yup, from the newsbusters article;

"Terry Moran explained, "For two months, jurors heard often shocking, grisly testimony." He described the details as a "house of horrors." A house of horrors that ABC took 56 days to notice."

"ABC went from March 18, 2013 (the trial's start) through Monday afternoon with no coverage. Yet, during the same time, the network devoted a staggering 187 minutes (or 70 segments) to other shocking criminal cases, such as Jodi Arias and Amanda Knox."

• Like 1

That's kind of right. The media was accused of ignoring the trial. There were 30 news outlets present at the reading of the verdict though according to local news. This was murder and nothing less. Gosnell was the only real doctor at the clinic, and I wonder if he truly was myself. He was under investigation for his prescription drug traffic at first. He ranked 3rd in Pennsylvania for writing Oxycontin scripts. It was during the investigation that the true horrors came out. Here's a link to Philadelphia ABC news. Check out the link to the photos in the report. It's a pic right after the first two paragraphs of the storyline.

http://abclocal.go.c...article-9099885

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Gosnell gave up his right to appeal in exchange for 2 consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole. He escapes the death sentence as a result.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9102401&rss=rss-wpvi-article-9102401

He's 72 years old... How long is a "Life Sentenance" in his case anyway? 2 years?...

This "man" is getting off WAY too light on this...

• Like 1

He's 72 years old... How long is a "Life Sentenance" in his case anyway? 2 years?...

This "man" is getting off WAY too light on this...

The thing is, if he were to get the death penality some would say that's easier than spending what's left of his "golden years" in the slammer.

The thing is, if he were to get the death penality some would say that's easier than spending what's left of his "golden years" in the slammer.

I wasn't really argueing for the DP on this one... Simply disappointed that this dirt bag is not really going to pay much for his crimes...

I realize U.S. courts are backlogged. I realize resources are limited, but when I read in the news; "The Philadelphia abortion doctor convicted of first-degree murder has waived his right to appeal the verdict in exchange for prosecutors agreeing to drop the death penalty, the district attorney announced Tuesday."

I wonder why bother seeking the death penalty for older people.

"From a pragmatic perspective, it can take decades for a defendant to exhaust all of his appeals from a sentence of death," O. Carter Snead, a law professor at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, told CNN. "Given his advanced age, it is likely that Gosnell would die on death row before this process runs its course."

So apparently, if you are 72 or older, go ahead, commit the most heinous crimes you can think of, you are guaranteed not to receive the death penalty. That's the message I read.

• Like 1

That's kind of right. The media was accused of ignoring the trial. There were 30 news outlets present at the reading of the verdict though according to local news. This was murder and nothing less. Gosnell was the only real doctor at the clinic, and I wonder if he truly was myself. He was under investigation for his prescription drug traffic at first. He ranked 3rd in Pennsylvania for writing Oxycontin scripts. It was during the investigation that the true horrors came out. Here's a link to Philadelphia ABC news. Check out the link to the photos in the report. It's a pic right after the first two paragraphs of the storyline.

http://abclocal.go.c...article-9099885

At least one thing good in that article, it says that the executive director (David O'Steen) of the National Right to Life Committee hopes this case will cause more states to pass legislation forbidding abortion once the unborn child can feel pain. Amen! I really hope they do...no unborn should feel that kind of pain!

edited 'cuz I never seem to get it right the first time...

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 4

Well, since I got myself into the wrong thread and the only thing slightly related to the subject that I can think of to say is that I've intended to research the average time spent on death row, which I realize would vary from state to state, but anyway, I think it's interesting to know.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

I think death row would be wasted on serial killers like Gosnell. I would rather see trash like this rot in a prison cell for the rest of their lives with permanent isolation, no television, no radio and no contact with the outside world. I support abortion up until a certain extent, before the first 4-8 weeks of conception, but what this man and his staff did is disgusting. I can already see this being used by the extreme pro-life crowd as a flag-ship to push a federal ban on all abortion, except the obvious rape, incest, and medical emergencies(i hope). Keep in mind its already illegal to terminate after a certain gestation period, this is a mass murder trial, of a person i consider a serial killer.

p.s. sorry for the grammar derps, i'm a horrible writer

• Like 1

The abortion controversy is a very touchy subject. We need to realize that women have sought ways of abortion for any number of reasons since ancient times and it is a decision that she alone must live with. I fear a ban on all abortion will only push women who are determined to obtain one into the back streets again and open the door for more unscrupulous people like this one. 4-8 weeks is long enough for a woman to know what it is she wants. PA has a ban on abortion after the first 3 months. The wholesale slaughter of infants born alive is 1st degree murder here. He has now been sentenced to 3 life terms. Altogether, there were 263 charges against him. It took a couple days to go through them all.

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=9103196

Too many sick individuals involved in this. Others who worked there have also plead to charges. That's a good thing. Gosnell still faces federal drug charges.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

What arguements are there to this case? That live born babies SHOULD be allowed to be killed? Such an ignorant opening statement by Mrs Sawyer.

NO, the argument is about the rights of women to have an abortion at the correct time and that women who have past that time will be given the correct care and medical attention without the need for an abortion and without being made to feel guilty, its at the end of the article about both sides.

What is also shocking is that these clinics had not been checked for 15 years!

• Like 1

So apparently, if you are 72 or older, go ahead, commit the most heinous crimes you can think of, you are guaranteed not to receive the death penalty. That's the message I read.

If you are thinking of the Death Penalty as a deterrent, then I understand your point. However, I don't think criminals care. They don't think they are going to be caught. The Death Penalty, at least in my opinion, should only be viewed as a punishment.

It's cases like these that make me wish I was the guy who carried out death sentences. Would make me proud to end this piece of garbage's life.

I imagine he's going to "pay" in prison once the inmates figure out who he is and what his crimes were.

At least one thing good in that article, it says that the executive director (David O'Steen) of the National Right to Life Committee hopes this case will cause more states to pass legislation forbidding abortion once the unborn child can feel pain. Amen! I really hope they do...no unborn should feel that kind of pain!

As someone who's seen both of my kids born and see them wiggling and crying.... I can't imagine ANYONE just coldly cutting a live baby up. This man is a MONSTER, but so are the women who went to him for late term abortions... IMHO.

I think death row would be wasted on serial killers like Gosnell. I would rather see trash like this rot in a prison cell for the rest of their lives with permanent isolation, no television, no radio and no contact with the outside world.

Medical science being what it is, it would be ironic if this guy lived to 150.

• Like 1