Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is it possible for a God to be almighty ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#106    Ruthie

Ruthie

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

• Life after death? -Yes, please!

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:26 AM

If that's the way you see the christian God, well, I can only feel sorrow for you.
The christian God (Since you brought it up..) is nothing but GOOD!!

I have felt it many times in my life, and I wish you would recognise the truth to.

I wonder howcome christianity is so easy to mock?

It seems as people just go against it , just to be cool... But how cool is that??

If you decide to not believe in the Bible just because your friends doesn't belive, well, isn't that just pathetic? Wouldn't it be much more brave to make your own opinion, and stand for it?

I hope you would read the Bible with an opend mind.

God is great!
He's got plans for you, greater than you can imagine.

So why not give it a try?

Since you so clearly stated what you believe, I guess I could to.

I'm not trying to hurt someone..

Love from Ruthie  original.gif

When I was coming up, it was a dangerous world, and you knew exactly who they were. It was us vs. them, and it was clear who them was. Today, we are not so sure who the they are, but we know they're there.

Quote George W. Bush.

#107    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,301 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:44 AM

If that's the way you see the christian God, well, I can only feel sorrow for you.
The christian God (Since you brought it up..) is nothing but GOOD!!

and you base that one what? I could easily quote dozens of incidents in the bible in which God displays great cruelty to his creations.

I have felt it many times in my life, and I wish you would recognise the truth to.

I'm sorry, but i have felt that God is evil many times in my life, and I wish you would recognise the truth..

I wonder howcome christianity is so easy to mock?
It seems as people just go against it , just to be cool... But how cool is that??

It is easy to mock because it is so obviously a load of drivel, a collection of wild storys throughout the ages all put into one book and changed so that they somehow become proof of a religion

If you decide to not believe in the Bible just because your friends doesn't belive, well, isn't that just pathetic? Wouldn't it be much more brave to make your own opinion, and stand for it?

well its good to see that you know me well, and know the reasons for why i think God and Co are nothing but mere fantasy. rolleyes.gif
I'm not as shallow as you think, perhaps not as shallow as you are, I've actually made my own opinion (yes my own opinion may also be that the Bible is a fantasy, like it or not) and as you can see, i am also standing for it:)

#108    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:49 AM

Wouldn't it be much more brave to make your own opinion, and stand for it?

So tell me, Ruthie, is your intepretation of the bible "your own brave opinion"? or is it exactly the same as the rest of your church?

Have you been reading the bible with an open mind or a conditioned mind?

Carefull of what we advise. We may not be taking our own advice and we wouldnt want to be a hypocrite now would we?  thumbsup.gif

bathory-
god and Co are nothing but mere fantasy.

God is much more than mere fantasy.  God is an archetype of the spiritual unknown. The notion of a higher being, god or not, exists in all of our minds. God is just the symbol of that.

Both of you are guilty of spouting the typical "for or against"  religion slogans.  Doesnt that get old after a while?  huh.gif Shame on you Ruthie! Shame on you Bathory!

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

#109    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,301 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:50 AM

Both of you are guilty of spouting the typical "for or against" religion slogans. Doesnt that get old after a while?  Shame on you Ruthie! Shame on you Bathory!

is there something wrong with me having the opinion that its fantasy?

#110    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

• It shouldn't be "Seize the day" but "Seize *every* day"

Posted 29 November 2003 - 12:01 PM

I while ago I decided to read the bible so that I would know what everyone else is talking about with their arguments and such. With as open a mind as possible I have been reading it. I find it hard to stay open minded when God is giving man complete dominion over animals, like we're the greatest thing ever. We're not.

I've only got up to page 16 of the old testament, adn already there are things that make little sense.

1. God made adam and eve, correct? They were the first man and woman and therefore all people are descendents from them? When the bible lists who begat who etc, where do all these random woman come from, where did Cain's, Encoh's, irad's...wives come from? Did God create them after Adam and Eve, or are these descndents just not listed in the pages of heritage supplied by the bible?. So far, in all the lists and lists of 'so-and-so begot so-and-so..." Only one of these begotten have been a woman. (But then again, I'm not entirely sure which are male and female names...) The only female looking name is Naamah, Daughter of Lamech who is a descendent of Cain.

2. Is it just me, or does The Great Flood seem very pointless? There, my friends, is an example of God killing innocents, unless, of course, all things on earth (everything on land and in the air), bar Noah and his family, were horrible sinners and deserved to die. God wanted to kill all the nasties on earth and does this by preserving them all to multiply adn once again become nasty. There's a sure-fire way destroying evilness. (note the sarcasm).

3. What's with all the bigomy?!?! SO far, the worst it is, is 2 wives, but I've been warned that it gets worse. Much worse. Isn't one of the 10 commandments "Thou shalt not commit adultery"? Or do these not come into play until later?

So many questions. Please, in all honesty I really would like to know a few answers, as it just doesn't make sense to me. Let me know if anything of what I jsut said is confusing...

Thanks

Potholer

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Long live PLGROYR!

#111    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:32 PM

No potholer, i think you've pretty much got it.

Anyone who spouts to you the ifs and buts of the big book are, in my own opinion, only dictating what they hear in church. whistling2.gif  

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

#112    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 30 November 2003 - 02:00 PM

Potholer my friend, there are so many contradictions, so many hypocracies, and so much absolute rubbish in the bible, that reading it, you really must wonder if the people who actually believe it's true have done anything more than skimmed it huh.gif Or just skipped to the parts their friendly ministor directed them to, so they wouldn't read the juicey parts tongue.gif

1) Your first point is one I've talked about with my brother rather a number of times...these people simple 'appeared' out of nowhere it seems. My only guess is that the author had writer's block, and needed something to move his book along, if it was ever going to hit the best sellers list tongue.gif

2) If God is real, and the 'Great Flood' really was his work, then it's an act of Genocide that wouldn't be equaled until the holocaust. You don't even need to add in Soddam and Ghamora to the equation to work out that, if the old testament is right on that account, then God is a hypocritical, barbaric, murderer (oh, wait, they're going to argue that "God can't do anything wrong! He's allowed to murder people if he wants too!" again...doesn't mean you're not still worshipping a mass murderer, who's closest rival is Adolf Hitler wink2.gif )

3) God isn't the only character in the bible that's a hypocryte. I'm afraid the church just loves to gloss over all the contradictions tongue.gif

I, also, have come to the opinion I have by just thinking about the concept of religion, and realising for myself that it's utter rubbish. My mother is religious, my father was not, but neither of them pressured me in any way whatsover to believe what I believed.

I don't go to church...Sundays are for long lies in, and catching up on University work, not to, as Homer Simpson put it so well, sitting in a cold church all morning being told by a condoned cult leader about how I'm going to hell tongue.gif So my mind has been left to think on its own, without the doctrines of church hammered into it by a priest, my family, and those around me.

In short, I think athiests are far more free thinking people than those who actually follow religion. As I've said many times, the bible is actually a device to try and make people afraid of free thinking...I'd rather be forsaken by the church, and considered a heretic, than a sheep wink2.gif

...*ponders*...Hey...so that's why priests call the people at his church his 'flock' whistling2.gif

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#113    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 01 December 2003 - 04:35 AM

*sighs*  dontgetit.gif

You call that reading the bible with an open mind ? More like you read the bible looking for anything to build up a straw man argument with . Do you honestly think the millions of christians are stupid enough to overlook such things such as the great flood and how other humans came out of nowhere ? What you state has already been debated and dealt with .

I really don't feal like restating the debates arguments since I have a life outside the internet calling me to eat pizza at round table . You can either find the info yourself or try reading it again .

Posted Image

#114    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 01 December 2003 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (moe eubleck @ Nov 29 2003, 05:49 AM)

.......guilty of spouting the typical "for or against"  religion slogans.  Doesnt that get old after a while?  huh.gif

Yes, it does get old, and never is there an agreeable outcome. Its been mentioned before, this argument is better suited for a theological forum. Spiritual debates in any form always tend to become increasingly inflammatory and offensive, with neither side willing and/or able to acknowledge their opponents opinions and or viewpoints. In the interest of keeping the debate from degenerating any further, this thread is now closed.

Magikman

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users