Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Authenticity of the gospel of Judas verified

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,391 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 11 April 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

-
I did think from all the apostles Judas would be one who was compelled more to leave a gospel,
but its not hard to see why it was omitted from any final edit of the New T.
-

Not really sure if Judas could have left a gospel... After all he (reportedly) hanged himself immediately following Jesus' execution... Didn't leave much time for jotting down notes...  Especially when you consider that the gospels of the other apostles were actually written down years afterward... I don't think I've ever read of any one of the apostles following Jesus around with a roll of parchment and a quill - though I could be wrong...  However that's not to say that someone didn't remember Judas' words and actions and ghost write it for him after the fact...

#17    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostTaun, on 12 April 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Not really sure if Judas could have left a gospel... After all he (reportedly) hanged himself immediately following Jesus' execution... Didn't leave much time for jotting down notes...  Especially when you consider that the gospels of the other apostles were actually written down years afterward... I don't think I've ever read of any one of the apostles following Jesus around with a roll of parchment and a quill - though I could be wrong...  However that's not to say that someone didn't remember Judas' words and actions and ghost write it for him after the fact...

From the kiss to the execution wasn't minutes or even hours it was days, wasn't it ?  more than enough time to leave a 'gospel' or his account of what happened, also if we are to believe the contents, Judas knew what he was about to do, now I don't know when the plan was hatched, the last supper ? so Judas had enough time again prior to the kiss ?
Also if we are to believe that all of the gospels are nothing more than hearsay passed down a few generations then how can we take any of the gospels as true ?

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

The MSS dates from the third to the fourth century, a little earlier than the earliest MSS of the canonical gospels, so from that prespective it seems legit.

Scholars, using internal evidence (aka "Kremlinology") usually date the conanical gospels earlier, but a lot of that may be wishful thinking.  There are no really early manuscripts.

The choices of what among many choices the Church chose to include seems to have been mostly political decisions under Constantine in the fourth century at Nicea.  Many earlier such writings are constantly being found.

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I strongly doubt that the "Judas" of the stories actually wrote this, just as I strongly doubt that any of the Gospels were written by their purported authors.  They all date from up to a century later.  The only part of the NT that objective scholars think is from the claimed author are a few of the Pauline Epistles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users