Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

why has "God" done nothing in 2k years?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 August 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

In some ways God is a lot like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster -- has numbers of devoted believers who jump on any straw to believe.

All hail the Divine Sasquatch!

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#17    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,628 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 August 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

In some ways God is a lot like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster -- has numbers of devoted believers who jump on any straw to believe.
Or Karma, Nirvana, or Noble Truths?

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#18    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,230 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

God is on a two-week holiday, except his week lasts 1000 years for us. :innocent:

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#19    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,891 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostGomar, on 27 August 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Here is a question I pose: Why hasnt "God" performed any miracles in the last 2000 years... since supposedly resurrecting Jesus?
Why is everything in the Bible ancient, thousands of years ago, and nothing new has gone on.
Now, yes, the Bible itself (Torah) was written thousands of years ago, and no amendments have been made; it's not the U.S. constitution after all.  However, if "God" wants to prove to the disbelievers, the atheists, the scientists who laugh at the 6 day creation, miracles, Adam&Eve, etc. and believe in evolution, then why not just perform some awesome miracle unexplained by science.

How about turning the Sun green, or making all nuclear weapons disappear(poof all gone!), or curing all who have cancer, AIDS, Down Syndrome;
Make my mother-in-law disappear; reveal where Jimmy Hoffa and Emilia Earnhardt are, who shot JR, etc.

Or, "God" could just send a messiah to fix the world, end all misery, warfare, and all humans will live in peace.

"God" where are you?

It's an interesting question.

According to scripture, did God ever perform miracles for those who were not "God's people" (i.e. the Israelites, Jews)? With the exception of the miracles allegedly performed by Jesus, which can be excepted as Jesus is also alleged to be God, I can't think of any?

Which leads to the question, perhaps there are no more of "God's people" on Earth? This might present a problem for the believers in that God, but this can also be rationalised through the "end times" scenario having already been played out and those 'believers' are actually living in a hell of their own self-delusion.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#20    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Sometimes you have to watch your Sims family for awhile just to see what they'll do with free will.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostParanoid Android said:

I dunno; I suspect these are more like teachings than like the existence of some entity, so it depends on whether the teachings holds up to reason or no, not up to miracles and wonders and other myths.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 27 August 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Another thought comes to me -- your point is "tu quoque."  I realize that half the arguments we see on this board are one logical fallacy or another, but maybe it doesn't hurt to point them out.

#23    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Have you ever seen a newborn baby? Have you ever seen a sunrise? You need more "miracles" than those?

#24    Gomar

Gomar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

View Postflbrnt, on 27 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Have you ever seen a newborn baby? Have you ever seen a sunrise? You need more "miracles" than those?

Yes, I do, just to prove God does exist.
How about a cow giving birth to a human, or a human to a penguin?
Or God making apes at the zoo suddenly be able to talk?  Now that would be prove positive of an existence of an all-mighty creator who can do anything with his creation.

Acts of nature do not prove anything.
People surviving plane or car crashes just proves that _some_ did get lucky while others did not.  Just like winning the PB or MM lottery; proves you got lucky... if I win tonight's MM $69m then I am a believer in miracles.

Edited by Gomar, 27 August 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#25    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

In some ways God is a lot like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster

No, there is a lot more evidence for Sasquatch... just saying :)

#26    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,453 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Easy, it's still "the seventh day" as far as God's concerned, so he's pottering around his garden, thinking about going down the pub and wondering about the cricket scores.

#27    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 27 August 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

show me a single place in the Bible where God performs a miracle for the sole purpose of proving that he exists.

I would argue that the Trinitarian God did this when He incarnated as Jesus, that whosever lives and believes in me shall never die.

That said, there have been many alleged apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary, several had eye-witnesses in the thousands, in the 20th century. Not sure what that proves though as all kinds of explanations can be made. I find them tantalizing though.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

View Postflbrnt, on 27 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Sorry but I know how a baby happens and how a sunrise happens. That sort of primitive emotional naiveté, though, is kinda cute.

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

View Postredhen, on 28 August 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

I would argue that the Trinitarian God did this when He incarnated as Jesus, that whosever lives and believes in me shall never die.

That said, there have been many alleged apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary, several had eye-witnesses in the thousands, in the 20th century. Not sure what that proves though as all kinds of explanations can be made. I find them tantalizing though.
I don't think its very fair of the Trinitarian God to not give everlasting life to everyone He has created, and instead to expect belief on such flimsy and mythical evidence.

#30    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 27 August 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

It's an interesting question.

According to scripture, did God ever perform miracles for those who were not "God's people" (i.e. the Israelites, Jews)? With the exception of the miracles allegedly performed by Jesus, which can be excepted as Jesus is also alleged to be God, I can't think of any?

Which leads to the question, perhaps there are no more of "God's people" on Earth? This might present a problem for the believers in that God, but this can also be rationalised through the "end times" scenario having already been played out and those 'believers' are actually living in a hell of their own self-delusion.
Definitely an interesting question. I don't know if it counts but Aaron (brother of Moses) turned his staff into a snake to show the Egyptians the power of God and when the Egyptian magicians duplicated his trick his snake ate all their snakes. And of course the ten plagues, but maybe that's not what you meant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users