Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

out of the mouth of babes.....

glorybebe

While replying to another thread, a situation that came up last night came to mind. I have talked to my nephew many times about shining flashlights in people's eyes, since hsi father got him a high powered head light for his birhtday :wacko: . Anyway, we were out trick or treating and this woman was shining her flashlight around trying to keep track of all the kids she had with her. She got me pretty good as well as my nephew, so what does he say? "Watch what you're doing, butthead." I almost died of embarassment, yet I laughed about it later ( I know, I'm bad). But thinking about it today, was he REALLY in the wrong? Maybe that woman shouldn't had so many kids out with her, she had at least 7 or 8 and they were running wild, from one house to another, trampling peoples gardens. And to be flashing a light around in the pitch black, that really didn't help me trying to walk down the street and not look like I had a few to drink because I was blinded. he shouldn't have called her a butthead, that was wrong, but really, maybe some adults need to think, too? Your opinion?

• Like 2

I would have laughed about it later too...Kids are so innocent when saying things...I remember when my niece (who is now 38 years old) was about three...We were food shopping and she was in the front of the basket...She saw an African American lady walking down the aisle and yelled "Hey lady, why are you dirty"....I almost died. But living in the City that we did, and being so young, she had never been exposed to a different color skin....I just turned the basket around and high tailed it out of the store...And this lady with the flashlight sounds like she took on more than she could handle....Butthead :w00t:

• Like 2

:lol: Hilarious! My 4 yr. old tells her daddy he smells like butt to tease him. ^_^ It is disturbing; watching that many children while trick or treating. One could easily slip away and get lost or hit by a car! And it was rather rude of her to flash the light in your face.
  • Like 2

While replying to another thread, a situation that came up last night came to mind. I have talked to my nephew many times about shining flashlights in people's eyes, since hsi father got him a high powered head light for his birhtday :wacko: . Anyway, we were out trick or treating and this woman was shining her flashlight around trying to keep track of all the kids she had with her. She got me pretty good as well as my nephew, so what does he say? "Watch what you're doing, butthead." I almost died of embarassment, yet I laughed about it later ( I know, I'm bad). But thinking about it today, was he REALLY in the wrong? Maybe that woman shouldn't had so many kids out with her, she had at least 7 or 8 and they were running wild, from one house to another, trampling peoples gardens. And to be flashing a light around in the pitch black, that really didn't help me trying to walk down the street and not look like I had a few to drink because I was blinded. he shouldn't have called her a butthead, that was wrong, but really, maybe some adults need to think, too? Your opinion?

Kids are kids they have no preconcieved idea .they tell it like it is . lol Butthead isnt a term we use over here . but i probably would have laughed too afterwards. sonds like my sister in law you saw lol she lets all her kids go trick or treating alone in fact she gives them eggs for mean people who wont give them a treat :w00t: which i find wrong .

kids say the greatest things especially the little uns . . my grandmother in law . once bought some new glasses and had called me up to say how much nicer they were than her last pair and how the optician said they made her look thirty years younger she was very proud . so on our visit a few days later she was stod at the gate waving poudly in her new spectacles . we pulled up and my litte one age 3 at the times clambers out of the car and loudly shouts Hi Nanna where did you get those stooopid glasses . omg i nearly died but laff i hadnt laughed so hard in ages . she took it on the chin though thankfully .

Edited by spiritual_soul79
  • Like 2

One day, my mother and I went shopping. We had my youngest and my nephew with us. This old lady my mom knew from bingo came up and was going on and on about how cute the boys were. Of course we were shining in pride and letting her have her moment. She was pinching their cheeks and talking baby talk to them. Then my nephew gave her this strange look, covered his nose with his little hand and said "OOOOO you made a ca ciiiiiiiiii" ! LOL

He was talking about her breath!!

Edited by WatchingMother
  • Like 2

your nephew was right she is a butthead shining lights in peoples eyes while trying to watch 8 kids. she should have had a few adults and or responsible teenagers helping her out with that many kids. as for the kid saying it, i don't think any kid should say that to somebody an adult should have said something, but nobody wants to hurt peoples feeling now a days and what not pppppfffffttt. i wouldn't have said anything, not because i worry about hurting peoples feeling i just don't like making a big seen standing there argueing with a stranger. but kids tell the truth though they don't hold back....so if a child calls you a butthead for doing something stupid.....you're probably a butthead.

• Like 1

your nephew was right she is a butthead shining lights in peoples eyes while trying to watch 8 kids. she should have had a few adults and or responsible teenagers helping her out with that many kids. as for the kid saying it, i don't think any kid should say that to somebody an adult should have said something, but nobody wants to hurt peoples feeling now a days and what not pppppfffffttt. i wouldn't have said anything, not because i worry about hurting peoples feeling i just don't like making a big seen standing there argueing with a stranger. but kids tell the truth though they don't hold back....so if a child calls you a butthead for doing something stupid.....you're probably a butthead.

See, that's the problem, she wasn't a stranger. She lives across the road from my sister. When I told my sister what he said, she was embarassed, and then laughed, too.

Well as embarrassed as you were at the momment, your nephew was right and kids have a way of telling it bluntly and to the point! When i was a kid and of course the same rules were handed down to my daughter, we were told to stick togeather, walk only on the path leading to the doors with lights on and no running ahead of everyone else or leaving the tired little ones behind! Also no running on lawns or flower beds, and there were always a group of moms behind us making sure we obeyed! And if we didn,t we were made to walk beside our moms while the others got to go a few feet ahead! And flashlights were never used to point in faces, only the ground so you could see where you were stepping! This woman was clearly over whelmed with too many kids and not enough help or rules which could be dangerous for everyone else as well as her bunch! So your nephew gets a thumbs up from me! :yes:

"Watch what you're doing" would have been fine- a "please" in there wouldn't have hurt either ... I hope you explained the importance of using the term 'Butthead' is disrespectful - who taught that child to use that word in the first place?

Granted - yes the story is very funny... I just hope you contained any laughter away from the child as to not promote this type of behavior.

• Like 1

"Watch what you're doing" would have been fine- a "please" in there wouldn't have hurt either ... I hope you explained the importance of using the term 'Butthead' is disrespectful - who taught that child to use that word in the first place?

Granted - yes the story is very funny... I just hope you contained any laughter away from the child as to not promote this type of behavior.

No, we try not to ever laugh when the kids have done something like that, that is kind of a no brainer. And butthead? Have you seen some of the shows on tv nowadays? It's amazing what they call each other and what they actually put into them. :no: . And if you knew the woman, "butthead" was mild from what was running through my mind. This is the mom who let's her kids run rampant all over the neighbourhood. The people across the street from them came home one day to find the kids playing in their garage, climbing all over their son's bike and saying that he said they could ride it. When they said no he didn't, they said well, my mom said we could. And there are bears all over that area. Just crazy. I know he shouldn't have said butthead, but with the rudeness she displayed, "please" would be way too polite for me to agree with. Anyone with any brains knows not to shine the flashlight in other people's faces.

I have to agree with Biff on this one. Who cares how rude another person is (and yeah... the woman had problems)? I find it strange when people teach their children to return rudeness with rudeness. Kid's get exposed to it sure... on TV, at school, etc. but, in my opinion, it should not be tolerated at all.

I'm not spouting at glorybee here, cause I don't know you or anything... I'm certainly not 'holier than thou' about it (or not trying to sound like it anyway ;) )

I had a sis-in-law whose children said everything on TV and then some. They all thought it was hilarious. They'd teach toddlers to say things like butthead and worse (much worse), and then think it was so 'cute.' They'd laugh, so the kid kept saying it. The kids got to be 11-12 and said worse words, and the sis-in-law smacked their mouths and told them to watch their language.

Edited by Purplos
  • Like 1

I have to agree with Biff on this one. Who cares how rude another person is (and yeah... the woman had problems)? I find it strange when people teach their children to return rudeness with rudeness. Kid's get exposed to it sure... on TV, at school, etc. but, in my opinion, it should not be tolerated at all.

I'm not spouting at glorybee here, cause I don't know you or anything... I'm certainly not 'holier than thou' about it (or not trying to sound like it anyway ;) )

I had a sis-in-law whose children said everything on TV and then some. They all thought it was hilarious. They'd teach toddlers to say things like butthead and worse (much worse), and then think it was so 'cute.' They'd laugh, so the kid kept saying it. The kids got to be 11-12 and said worse words, and the sis-in-law smacked their mouths and told them to watch their language.

I don't agree with him calling someone butthead. I've already stated that. But, I don't disagree with him saying "Hey, watch it." I think he had every right to say that.

My nearly 4yo neice is a hoot sometimes. She's actually a bright kid, and she IS well behaved, but she sometimes comes up with some doozies. haha.

We were all at my folks house (my sister lives in another state, although not out of driving range) and for about the 6 months, my neice has been fascinated by passing gas and my brother in law isn't helping. :rofl: She was babbling on about something or another, and said fart... so my brother in law walked over and farted right next to her head. I heard a screeching sound, she came running into the living room and lept into my arms and said "Oh Auntie, my daddy just farted on my head!" then she paused for a minute, cocked her head to the side and said "Oh, but it's ok, my head doesn't stink anymore!" I just about died because she'd said it like it was a major revelation!

My sister also has a bad habit of saying "Jesus Christ" when something goes sideways... that same night, Gracie (my neice) had gone up stairs (upstairs is a loft open to the downstairs) and we were all downstairs. My sister had forgotten she left tea water on the stove and lept up and said "The tea! Oh Jesus!" not more than a fraction of a second later, we hear Gracie call down from the loft "Christ!" LOL. So bad.. but SO funny.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 2

I would have laughed about it later too...Kids are so innocent when saying things...I remember when my niece (who is now 38 years old) was about three...We were food shopping and she was in the front of the basket...She saw an African American lady walking down the aisle and yelled "Hey lady, why are you dirty"....I almost died. But living in the City that we did, and being so young, she had never been exposed to a different color skin....I just turned the basket around and high tailed it out of the store...And this lady with the flashlight sounds like she took on more than she could handle....Butthead :w00t:

:o:lol: aww lol she didnt know any beter bless her LMAO even though she is now a good bit older than me ..

There is a tv show called - Kids say the darnedest things lol

My mom took my lil sister (who was just 2yrs old at the time) up to receive holy Communion and had to carry my sister in her arms ...she was too young to receive communion lol so when the priest gave my mom the bread.. there was my sister..sticking out her tongue looking some bread too...but the priest just smiled and patted my sister on the head...then suddenly my sis tugged on the priests gown and said YOU GO ****!!!! ...my ma's face went a deep red and she rushed back to her seat with embarrassment :lol:

She later went back to visit the priest and apologize for my little sisters potty mouth...but the priest laughed and told my mom it was so funny how a small innocent looking child came out with that in mass, and he said it was one of the best Sundays he has ever been through...he REMINDED my mom that children DON'T know its really wrong to say those cuss words...so why get mad at the child??

My mom was relieved the priest didnt take it the wrong way

When she got home and told my dad...my dad burst out laughing..and of course my ma had to blame my dad for it and said how he is the ONLY one that would use potty mouth talk infront of the kidss............UMM WRONNNGGG kids will pick potty talk from anywhere...

When I heard about it..i got annoyed...cuz when i was just 2 yrs old if i came out with potty talk...i got the lifeboy soap in my mouth... :mellow:

My dad says he will never ever forget the time when I was out visiting my great Aunt Marys home..and she was the one that put the soap in my mouth for saying the F word lol.....and he said that when she removed the soap...she said -- "Geri, do you now understand that saying the F word is wrong and it's really bad talk?"...........I looked up apparently and said - "Yes"....and she smiled and said - - "Ok then I hopefully don't need to use soap to wash out your mouth in future good girl Geri"....and of course I added - " Yes aunty Mary me not say **** no more..no more ****!!"me good gurlll not say ****... :) ..my dad had to run outside laughing he couldn't hold it in anymore...he said that when I said it...I was so innocent and thought I was doing good :lol: ...but my Aunt stood there with tongue in cheek and didn't know what to say to me LMAO

I dont remember that..but my dad does as clear as day..and he still laughs at me saying the F word 3 times within the space of 3 secs thinking I was telling my great aunty i was going to never say it again and get no more soap in my mouth LMAO

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

My mom is overweight and has been for most of her life. She ran an in home nursery the entire time I was growing up. One day our neighbor's horse got loose from his stable and went running down the road. My mom told me to run and get it because the neighbors weren't home to get it themselves. So, as I was running to go bring the horse back, all the children playing in the yard ran down our long driveway to watch me do it. Well, one of them looked up and saw my mom standing there too. He said, "Miss Doris, did you run down here?" She said, "Now, Steven, does it look like I could run down here?" He said, "Well, you couldn't get up to speed but you could probably still run." We all laughed about it for days.

One little boy we watched was absolutely fascinated with my grandmother's hearing aids. She wore them in both ears. When his mother picked him up one day, he asked her if he could have some too. She asked him why he wanted them and he told her he wanted to turn his ears on and off like granny could.

We used to hear ALL manner of things from those children. So, to all you parents out there who have children in daycare, believe me when I tell you, they will talk about you and your spouse's arguments. Who said what to who. Who ran out of the house. Who spun out of the driveway. Who was crying. The last time you got drunk. Who was yanking on the "shear gifter" in the car....etc....etc... :yes:

We'd to have to stop them sometimes because they'd really tell all. Do you know how hard it is to NOT want to hear all that gossip?

• Like 1

When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten in Catholic school, we had visit the teacher night....When we walked in, her teacher told my husband and I that she knew all about us....It seems that every Friday, for "show and tell", my daughter would talk about what went on in the house...I almost died, until her teacher told us that all the stories were funny....I never did believe that teacher :D

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

A young college co-ed came running in tears to her father. "Dad, you gave me some terrible financial advice!"

"I did? What did I tell you?" said the dad.

"You told me to put my money in that big bank, and now that big bank is in trouble."

"What are you talking about? That's one of the largest banks in the state," he said. "there must be some mistake."

"I don't think so," she sniffed. "They just returned one of my checks with a note saying, 'Insufficient Funds'."

I really enjoyed reading some of these stories again. I love some of the things kids say, they are so funny and cute. My little girl isn't so little anymore, so the innocence isn't there so much. :cry:

• Like 2

Can remember one of my nephews telling my mother than she should shave her moustache off, because it was 'jaggy' when she gave him a kiss. That went down well... lol.

• Like 1

OK, I got one too. My cousin is being taught both English and Vietnamese as he grows up; he is now five. I should tell you that the Vietnamese don't consider being fat such a bad thing -- unhealthy to be sure but a sign of prosperity. The English word "fat" carries different connotations including laziness, gluttony, lack of self-control. Thus in English various other words like "overweight" or "stout" and so on are substituted.

So my cousin looks at me and says, "Why are you so fat?" I answer, "Why are you so short?" He smiles and walks up to me and shakes hands (American style).

I suspect the charm in that is going to be missed by most non-Vietnamese. It has to do with the hypocrisy seen in Americans of being rude with polite words.

• Like 1

Kids really are so much more intuitive than we credit them for sometimes. In regards to the original post, my personal take on parenting, I'd rather teach and *show* my children that they're 'capable', versus 'special'. Kids are little human beings with a lot to say, and I think it's unfortunate we so often, and often unintentionally, disregard or dismiss what our children have to tell us. This post just goes to show, where are you going to find a more honest truth? There's no black and white way to raise a child, but when I have mine, I'm going to seize chances to answer questions for my child and ask my own, and let them know their thoughts and feelings are valid. I hope that through people having care and empathy for them, they'll have care and empathy for other people.

• Like 1

Can remember one of my nephews telling my mother than she should shave her moustache off, because it was 'jaggy' when she gave him a kiss. That went down well... lol.

Heh, my brothers' little boy who is four, openly told my mum in a matter-of-fact tone that his 'Daddy has a beard around his w*lly'. That really creased us all up. :-)

• Like 1