Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One question I keep asking myself.

TheLogic

Why does evil exist?

Surely their must be some sort of end to evil, I hear on the news everyday about so much evil.

But what about kindness? Love? Happiness?

Do these things not exist?

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I believe that one day evil will just die out and there will only be good left.

Hopefully all things such as: Rape, Murder and Hatred will just die out.

The world would be a much better place rather than the putrid abyss that it is today.

• Like 3

But what about all the people that spend their time harassing passers by.

Why can't people spend that time helping people who need it?

Or even just something as simple as seeing someone cry and you ask them whats wrong instead of just walking on.

• Like 2

You can't do someone a good deed unless they need one.

Indeed there can be no heros with out strife, no compassion without suffering, and no light without contrast. I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up the concept of compassion and the recognition of achievement over "evil" for a flowery perfect world. This is the universe of realativity, without it's peaks and valleys there really is no purpose to existence at all. If everything and everyone were kind and nice, how on earth would we every recognize kindness, or even truely have an opertunity to practice it?

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 4

To me, evil is a symptom of brain disease. What a mans dwells on, he becomes.

• Like 2

To me, evil is a symptom of brain disease. What a mans dwells on, he becomes.

That's a little like how I interpret karma (at least some aspects of karma). Do evil and change yourself for the bad as it because easier to do more evil; do good and have the opposite effect.
  • Like 1

Well, in all reality there is no good or evil. Good and evil are just perspectives which we see the world through. Think about it, any action you say is bad could be said to be good from a different perspective, even if it was rape or murder. I am not justifying theses actions, but rather stating a fact. Since one person's ideas on what is good can be seen as evil too another, so we will never achieve perfect haromony or balance because they are one and the same thing.

• Like 1

Well, in all reality there is no good or evil. Good and evil are just perspectives which we see the world through. Think about it, any action you say is bad could be said to be good from a different perspective, even if it was rape or murder. I am not justifying theses actions, but rather stating a fact. Since one person's ideas on what is good can be seen as evil too another, so we will never achieve perfect haromony or balance because they are one and the same thing.

Love this quote.

"Censure yourself, Never another. Do not disucss right or wrong, though right were considered wrong for generations. Since the value of rightousness my be recognized after centuries"

• Like 1

Why does evil exist?

Simple because people do not understand how consent works......

• Like 1

Why does evil exist?

Simple because people do not understand how consent works......

your evil may be different than my evil. What god dictates evil and how do you interprete an evil. I say this because of your religious overtones and your belief in a certin god.

My god aka me see`s pedofile as a life sentence if not more others gods see havining a 9 year old wife as ok. Who the f can speak for god and all those that say thay can are coocoo birds and should be in an institution.

Evil exists in the name of god.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Hence why I used the word consent. If two people agree to something it's usually ok. I also believe that only adults can consent to things(Basically the general laws of consent in current laws regarding it, kids can't, the intoxicated can't). It's basically the cover all of what makes any action good and which action is evil.

And the how it works... when I mean works, I mean understanding and putting it in to practice that consent is broken.

Which means your scenario wouldn't happen because of what I meant. Of course two people being idiots kicking each other in the nuts could still happen but hey is that really evil if they both agree to it :P

I agree without chaos, order could not exist.

But sometimes I just wish that order could exist without chaos.

My reason being: I wouldn't want anyone I love to be murdered, raped etc and I'm sure no one else would either.

I don't wish that upon anyone, but lately it seems to be happening more frequently.

Oh I quite agree; we have to have troubles to understand and appreciate their absence, but do they really have to be so bad?

It seems like the troubles are getting worse.

Especially with the stabbing of the girl on the bus in England.

Putrid abyss? There's much more to the world than that. As for why evil exists, I don't know. A more pertinent question in my life is what can I do to make the world a better place. I refuse to let the world's evils & problems make me helpless. Maybe one of the reasons evil exists is to give us all an opportunities to find & use our own personal power to have a positive effect on our families & communities, to help us formulate a code of ethical behavior and behave accordingly, to help us rise instead of give in to hopelessness.

• Like 3

Putrid abyss? There's much more to the world than that. As for why evil exists, I don't know. A more pertinent question in my life is what can I do to make the world a better place. I refuse to let the world's evils & problems make me helpless. Maybe one of the reasons evil exists is to give us all an opportunities to find & use our own personal power to have a positive effect on our families & communities, to help us formulate a code of ethical behavior and behave accordingly, to help us rise instead of give in to hopelessness.

So vigilante justice ?

So vigilante justice ?

Not at all, just taking control of my world and my life, and making conscious choices about what kinds of influences I let into my life and how I react to them, in an ethical and moral way. And a determination not to give in to despair, because that disempowers us all, and there are lots of people & institutions that have a vested interest in convincing us of our powerlessness, because that makes us easily manipulated.

Are we talking about "evil" on a human level, or a spiritual one? Or both?

There has to be a balance, imo. There is no good without evil, no light without dark and vice versa. Nature is both chaos and order, both ugly and beautiful. :tu:

Ive seen people use this view to commit hurtful acts toward others stating that it is thier position and purpose in life to bring balance.. I think this mentality is sick. Not your mentality, the mentality that would use it as an excuse for thier behavior.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

Ive seen people use this view to commit hurtful acts toward others stating that it is thier position and purpose in life to bring balance.. I think this mentality is sick. Not your mentality, the mentality that would use it as an excuse for thier behavior.

Agreed.

Also agree with the other people who say that without evil, good can not be appreciated.

But people can dream of a Utopian society.

You can't make an omelet without breaking the eggs. You know how many lives have been taken to sustain our living? Not humans, but plants and animals. We already have a lot of stuff on us, we aren't born into an innocent world, unless you choose to eat nothing. Life nourishes on death, the cycle that repeats itself everywhere. Dreams are a resource of ours, at our disposal and maybe somewhat limited control, but there. You should pick your dreams well so that you'd have something more in this life to strive to.

In the end it's just people and other living things trying to get along, but we want easiness in our lives, which is not wrong. This, however, combined with shortsightedness which also in itself isn't really wrong, combined with you feeling like being forced to a corner, a situation which might not stem from your own shortcomings or anything. Yet, combine them and the soup of what you call evil is ready. What we need in my opinion, is people ready to sacrifice themselves to build a world in which we can live more freely, freely as in being more free to pursue the careers and dreams we'd want and make changes into our lives more flexibly. We allow ourselves to live in and sustain a world in which we keep letting ourselves be pushed to a corner, and focus on blaming the outcomes of that problem, focus on blaming all the criminals, instead of stopping to think "you know, since we repeat the same things in this society all over again, like in a squirrel wheel, maybe, just maybe there's something wrong there. And maybe we could make a change.". But do we make the changes?

Edited by Mikko-kun

Well, yeah, we do make changes, but they often take so long that we forget about them. i.e. slavery used to be a sanctioned economic institution in the States, but that has changed. People use seatbelts now, which has saved thousands & thousands of lives. Asbestos is no longer a common building material, gay people can marry, mixed race marriages are now legal, beating children is no longer legal, women & minorities can vote, the handicapped & disabled now have rights & access that they never had before, including special education, DDT is no longer used on food crops, schools are now integrated and "separate but equal" is no longer considered legally or morally acceptable, district attorneys are starting to prosecute Mormons who force minor girls into "celestial marriages." I could go on, but you all probably get my point. Evil in a larger sense, religious sense? I personally don't think so. I think it' a concept that takes our off the stuff that really counts, that all of us can work to change, the "small" evils that cause people harm every day. That's the kind of evil we can all stand up against, and many of us do, every day. I can't deal with the world's evils, but I can deal with what goes on in my community, in my family, in my state, in my country, and use my voice to effect positive change. IMHO, it's insane to not do that, and possible irresponsible.

• Like 3

i always tend to believe that humans are imperfect creatures..as remarkable as our evolution is,it is flawed in a sense

survival of the fittest translates into trying to out do everyone else,which can be taken to extremes with some of our more horrendous crimes

the child in school bullying there class mate is making themself feel more important and dominant over the "weaker" child

the murderer and rapist are doing the same thing

the way we pollute our planet and adversly affect our enviorment is also evil

evil appears inate among humans

there are those of us tho that have compassion and empathy..traits i believe if given enough time will perservere over evil

but this could take centuries...we will probably kill ourselves off first

i always tend to believe that humans are imperfect creatures..as remarkable as our evolution is,it is flawed in a sense

survival of the fittest translates into trying to out do everyone else,which can be taken to extremes with some of our more horrendous crimes

the child in school bullying there class mate is making themself feel more important and dominant over the "weaker" child

the murderer and rapist are doing the same thing

the way we pollute our planet and adversly affect our enviorment is also evil

evil appears inate among humans

there are those of us tho that have compassion and empathy..traits i believe if given enough time will perservere over evil

but this could take centuries...we will probably kill ourselves off first

Evil may be innate, but so is cooperation. Cooperation is a survival mechanism, at least for tribal & island people, and probably was for early mankind.

• Like 1