Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

J. J. Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII,

ExpandMyMind

If you weren’t thrilled about J. J. Abrams’ interpretation of the Star Trek franchise, and also weren’t thrilled about the third Star Wars trilogy being in development, then boy, do we have some bad news for you. It would seem J. J. Abrams is slated to direct the next Star Wars, Episode VII.

The third trilogy in the famed trilogy of trilogies was announced last October when Disney purchased Lucasfilm for a little over $4 billion in cash and stock. The new entry is set for a 2015 release, with Michael Arndt (of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine fame) penned in to write the script.

Love him or hate him, J. J. Abrams has seen enormous success in recent years, whether he was bewildering fans with Lost, revitalizing the Star Trek franchise, or producing a love note to old Godzilla movies. Now, with another Star TrekStar Trek Into Darkness – releasing on May 17, it would seem Abrams has control over the two most famous star-prefixed franchises in media.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/j-j-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii-now-responsible-for-both-wars-and-trek-20130124/

I hope this is for real!

Star Wars, the real Star Wars, has been dead for 20 years. So has Star Trek.

You can flog a dead horse, turn it over and flog it some more. But it's still a dead horse.

• Like 1

Dead or not, there are lots and lots of Star Wars and Star Trek fans. I suspect Mr. Abrams has gotten himself far more of a 'cash cow' than a 'dead horse'.

• Like 2

Dead or not, there are lots and lots of Star Wars and Star Trek fans. I suspect Mr. Abrams has gotten himself far more of a 'cash cow' than a 'dead horse'.

Money, of course, being paramount makes all sell outs OK. Or buy ins.

I enjoyed JJ Abrams take of Star Trek. I am willing to give this a go too, Star Wars was my first big movie hit I am one of those geeks that have seen it more times than I am willing to admit and would watch it again in a heartbeat - or anything even remotely related to them. He will receive hate mail tho if he messes it up, possibly even from yours truly.

• Like 3

You can flog a dead horse, turn it over and flog it some more. But it's still a dead horse.

This is a matter of opinion. And it is an opinion held by a minority of people.

• Like 2

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I find it silly to continue the series, especially with the gigantic expanded universe from the books that may get 'erased canonically' because of this silly cash cow movies. But hey, whateva, no one can make me watch it and make them part of my 'personal cannon' so to those who'll enjoy, good on ya for not having a stick up your butt like me. :3

• Like 1

Sulu armed with a lightsaber battling The Smoke Monster. MAKE IT HAPPEN ABRAMS!

• Like 2

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I find it silly to continue the series, especially with the gigantic expanded universe from the books that may get 'erased canonically' because of this silly cash cow movies. But hey, whateva, no one can make me watch it and make them part of my 'personal cannon' so to those who'll enjoy, good on ya for not having a stick up your butt like me. :3

LOL

Just my opinion... But considering the second set of movies, they probably can't hork this one up much worse.

Revenge of the Sith is my second favourite Star Wars film, behind Return of the Jedi and only slightly ahead of The Empire Strikes Back (which itself.is only slightly ahead of A New Hope).

Sometimes the dead horse is more entertaining than the live one. Neither series is dead. The Star Trek reboot was great. Trekkers who think otherwise are delusional with selective memories. I'd be happier with Joss Whedon, but I don't think this is a bad move at all. Certainly better than letting George Lucas further ruin the series.

Revenge of the Sith is my second favourite Star Wars film, behind Return of the Jedi and only slightly ahead of The Empire Strikes Back (which itself.is only slightly ahead of A New Hope).

RotS is definitely the best of the second trilogy. Not sure I'd go further than that though.

• Like 1

As long as Jar Jar Binks doesn't make an appearance it should be good. But then, Jar Jar is pretty Disney-esque so he probably will.

I believe there's a mathematical formula that states that the quality of a Star Wars film is inversely proportionate to the length of time Jar Jar is on screen. Original series -no Jar Jar = awesome. Phantom Menace, lots of Jar Jar = crap. Attack of the Clones, two scenes with Jar Jar = mildly watchable. Revenge of the Sith, one sentence from Jar Jar = almost awesome film (except for Vader's "NOOOOOO" it would be fully awesome).

I was a fan of the new Trek film that Abrams directed so hopefully I'm not disappointed by this.

• Like 3

As long as Jar Jar Binks doesn't make an appearance it should be good. But then, Jar Jar is pretty Disney-esque so he probably will.

I believe there's a mathematical formula that states that the quality of a Star Wars film is inversely proportionate to the length of time Jar Jar is on screen. Original series -no Jar Jar = awesome. Phantom Menace, lots of Jar Jar = crap. Attack of the Clones, two scenes with Jar Jar = mildly watchable. Revenge of the Sith, one sentence from Jar Jar = almost awesome film (except for Vader's "NOOOOOO" it would be fully awesome).

I was a fan of the new Trek film that Abrams directed so hopefully I'm not disappointed by this.

I believe the new trilogy is for episodes 7,8 and 9 so unless Jar Jar Binks has an exceedingly long lifespan we should be spared.

I believe the new trilogy is for episodes 7,8 and 9 so unless Jar Jar Binks has an exceedingly long lifespan we should be spared.

Yeah, I know, but as I said - it's Disney. Maybe it will be a descendant of Jar Jar. Perhaps something like "Jar Jar Mayonnaise" or other such corny name. Yes, I'm cynical that Disney can pull off a quality Star Wars film.
  • Like 2

Yeah, I know, but as I said - it's Disney. Maybe it will be a descendant of Jar Jar. Perhaps something like "Jar Jar Mayonnaise" or other such corny name. Yes, I'm cynical that Disney can pull off a quality Star Wars film.

:w00t: Ok, I see your point - ouch, I hope JJ Abrams can hold the disney friend brigade at bay.

I dunno. John Carter was the best sci-fi film I'd seen in years.

• Like 1

Maybe they can bring back the the Sith and have them win once before the inevitable sequal :clap:

Oh no :(

Guess I'll have to start burning my Star Wars stuff then. Dinnae like JJ Abrams.

Oh no :(

Guess I'll have to start burning my Star Wars stuff then. Dinnae like JJ Abrams.

I think that sometimes people think that a new directors gonna come along and just totally F up the trilogy. They may or may not depending on your opinion but that doesnt take away from the magical quality of the first films. Not everyone can be a George Lucas