Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waitress served detergent instead of schnapps

Althalus

An Austrian waitress has been fined £500 for mistakenly serving guests industrial strength cleaning detergent instead of schnapps.

The court in Klagenfurt in southern Austria heard how five diners ended up in hospital after drinking what they thought was schnapps.

The overworked waitress mistook the house detergent for the house schnapps when she served the guests.

They were taken to a local hospital after another guest, who had refused to drink the schnapps because it smelt so strange, called an ambulance.

The waitress told the court that she had been "stressed" and had grabbed the wrong bottle from the cellar.

She was found guilty of causing bodily harm.Link

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Althalus

• Seraphina

• Urielsfire

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If she truly never meant it , its not really fair to charge her is it?

I mean everyone makes mistakes we are only human.

True...however, if not bodily harm, I think she's certainly guilty of professional negligence.

However, it should be taken into account if her employer was overworking her...it does beg the question what detergent was doing in the same place as the drinks though huh.gif

yeah sera

She may deserve the sack

however she isnt in a job where she has had extensive training like a mechanic or electircian who can be held culpable for mistakes they make as they are so well trained.

She was only a waitress that made an honest mistake and its unfair that she got charged.

I don't think it takes that much industrial strength detergent to make you sick. Especially since, at least in the bars here in Wisconsin, the only schnapps I see people drink they take as a shot.

How similar are the containers in austria? From what I've seen here industrial detergent comesin large 4lt (or more) plastic containers with a handle and schnapps comes in glass bottles.

I heard of a gentleman who mistook wood alcohol for his regular home brew and served it to his 3 guests. Only one of them survived. At least this lady didn't KILL anyone.