Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Town set to ban smoking anywhere outside

Still Waters

A town in California is proposing to ban smoking outside, even for residents lighting up on their own property.

Smoking is already banned indoors in public places in most of the country, and in California it is illegal to smoke in parks and playgrounds too.

The town of Rocklin, near Sacramento, could take the draconian regulations further by extending them to private property as well.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I lost my mom to lung cancer due to her choice to smoke cigarettes. It was an awful experience that I'd not wish even on an enemy. But this is ridiculous. If the smoke from cigarettes is so toxic then ban the substance. But that will never happen because of the tax revenue that would be lost. So vilify the smokers who pay the taxes and while we're at it lets set a precedent in law that might come back and take a big juicy bite out of all of us later regarding property use rights. Picking off strays is not a great approach to public policy.

I can understand banning it everywhere apart from peoples own property. Their land, their choice.

• Like 1

This is ludicrous!

As a smoker, no one is going to stop me from smoking outside.

As much as I dislike the ban of smoking in restaurants and diners, I deal with it.

I can respect other people don't want smoke blowing in their face when they eat.

But at the same time I am p***ed I cannot smoke a cigarette and discuss things with my buds beat generation-style.

Nonetheless, who the hell is it going to "harm" if the wind is carrying the smoke away?

WHO!?

I always try to be respectful: but these people are ****ing morons.

• Like 1

If banning smoking cigs happened in Canada then our universal healthcare would completely fall apart because of the lost revenue. Those who just read that statement and disagree need to know that smokers are not the burden of the taxpayer here. Smokers tend to live less years and pay more into the system than non-smokers who live longer and are the drain on the healthcare system.

• Like 2

If banning smoking cigs happened in Canada then our universal healthcare would completely fall apart because of the lost revenue. Those who just read that statement and disagree need to know that smokers are not the burden of the taxpayer here. Smokers tend to live less years and pay more into the system than non-smokers who live longer and are the drain on the healthcare system.

Yes, I agree, smokers die young and aren't on govt age pensions near as long. Smoking is an anxiety/nervous tension disorder and why this isn't the focus of quit campaigns I don't know.

How did I know this was happening in California? I just read the headline and thought California. Why do they come up with these great things? I wonder if they have thought of the cost of enforcing this? What is a law that can't be enforced? Nothing.

Yes, I agree, smokers die young and aren't on govt age pensions near as long. Smoking is an anxiety/nervous tension disorder and why this isn't the focus of quit campaigns I don't know.

That's what I've always wondered. Why isn't there more help for those who want to quit? I've unsuccessfully tried to quite so many times I've lost count! At this point I've given up. I'd love some good options for quitting, but honestly they don't exist. It's said that a ciggarette addition is as hard or harder to get over than a heroin addiction. You'd think with a statistic like that, there'd be more help for smokers.

As far as banning smoking outside, on your own property, that's ludicrist. The vast majority of smokers I know these days do smoke outside because they don't want to pollute the inside of their house endangering pets, partners or god forbid kids. The city in the OP has lost its ever lovin' mind. If they're that hung up on smoking, maybe they should draw up a city ordinance that says no cigs can be sold inside the city limits. Whole counties ban alcohol, why not ban cigs in a city. Technically they could do that. Not that it would keep people from smoking, it wouldn't, but I"m sure it would make the city law makers feel nice and smug with themselves.

They have no right to ban people from smoking out in their own yards... It is absolutely ridiculous

And to say that all smokers die young is a false statement to make... I know many smokers of an old age who have smoked all their lives.. .My grandfather lived until his late 80's and he smokes like a train...He is not the only one

Smoking is not just an axiety/tension disorder. It is a physical addiction. I know. I've tried to quit before and it does strange things to you. I could fall asleep anywhere. You wouldn't believe how much I slept. And I know a lot of people who have smoked and live to a very old age and people that don't smoke and die of lung cancer at a young age. This is just another law to increase revenue for the state. It's ridiculous.

We let this happen. It's our own fault.

First we pass laws prohibiting smoking in stores.

Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in restaurants.

Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in bars.

Then we act surprised when it comes to this.

We allowed it to happen. A little bit at a time.

• Like 1

We let this happen. It's our own fault.

First we pass laws prohibiting smoking in stores.

Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in restaurants.

Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in bars.

Then we act surprised when it comes to this.

We allowed it to happen. A little bit at a time.

So true! ^^

Most of these laws are passed by local county legislature.

How do they get passed? Huge federal grants are awarded to Tobacco Control programs on local levels. In order to continue receiving these grants from year to year some sort of progress must be proven. How can you prove that grant money is useful to local anti-smoking agencies? Pass stupid laws like this one.

Once again this all comes down to the almighty buck.

• Like 1

They have no right to ban people from smoking out in their own yards... It is absolutely ridiculous

And to say that all smokers die young is a false statement to make... I know many smokers of an old age who have smoked all their lives.. .My grandfather lived until his late 80's and he smokes like a train...He is not the only one

I don't think anyone says ALL smokers die young, and sure, there are some old smokers, but actuarial studies are very clear, on average a life-long smoker is knocking at least ten years off their lifespan. I have seen so many people die in their 60's

from it, and often not peacefully.

I don't think anyone says ALL smokers die young, and sure, there are some old smokers, but actuarial studies are very clear, on average a life-long smoker is knocking at least ten years off their lifespan. I have seen so many people die in their 60's

from it, and often not peacefully.

Here's some interesting inight... and I"m not saying that smoking isn't detrimental to your health, it most certainly is... however, I think the "numbers" are somewhat skewed. I have three grandparents who were all HEAVY smokers, we're taking the chain smoking no filter 3 pack a day smokers. One died at age 56... of a heart attack, his cholesterol was through the ROOF due to all that bacon, buttermilk and really fatty foods he always ate. I'm sure the smoking contributed. His death certificate reads "death due to smoking complications" only. My other two grandparents died in their mid-90s. Their death certificates also read "Death due to smoking complications" ... technically my grandfather died of skin cancer. My grandmother died of congestive heart failure... but she was 96!!!! So ya, three grandparents, all officially dead of smoking complications... yet really none of them died of that!

Edited by MissMelsWell

Here's some interesting inight... and I"m not saying that smoking isn't detrimental to your health, it most certainly is... however, I think the "numbers" are somewhat skewed. I have three grandparents who were all HEAVY smokers, we're taking the chain smoking no filter 3 pack a day smokers. One died at age 56... of a heart attack, his cholesterol was through the ROOF due to all that bacon, buttermilk and really fatty foods he always ate. I'm sure the smoking contributed. His death certificate reads "death due to smoking complications" only. My other two grandparents died in their mid-90s. Their death certificates also read "Death due to smoking complications" ... technically my grandfather died of skin cancer. My grandmother died of congestive heart failure... but she was 96!!!! So ya, three grandparents, all officially dead of smoking complications... yet really none of them died of that!

Did they all live in the same county? Sounds like the Chief Medical Examiner might be a bit biased against smokers.

My father was a smoker for years and he was diabetic as well. He quit smoking one month before he died. His death certificate read 'complications due to diabetes mellitus. When my friends tell me to quit smoking I tell them "Hell no, my father quit and look what happened to him." :D

I really would like to quit though. I do notice that if I go all day without a cigarette I feel great. The minute I light one up after I get out of work I'm like blaaaaahhhhhzay. I would have to quit drinking at the same time though because when I've tried to quit smoking in the past and put a beer in my left hand, a cigarette would just magically appear in my right hand.

• Like 1

Did they all live in the same county? Sounds like the Chief Medical Examiner might be a bit biased against smokers.

My father was a smoker for years and he was diabetic as well. He quit smoking one month before he died. His death certificate read 'complications due to diabetes mellitus. When my friends tell me to quit smoking I tell them "Hell no, my father quit and look what happened to him." :D

I really would like to quit though. I do notice that if I go all day without a cigarette I feel great. The minute I light one up after I get out of work I'm like blaaaaahhhhhzay. I would have to quit drinking at the same time though because when I've tried to quit smoking in the past and put a beer in my left hand, a cigarette would just magically appear in my right hand.

They didn't live in the same county, but did live in the same state; which is Washington known for it's beautiful rainy scenery, healthy organic living, and a recycling fetish never seen before anywhere else.

I have no idea why their death certificates all said complications due to smoking. Two were very very old, the third had some seriously bad central Mississippi (where he was from) eating habits. I can only think it was done to boost the statistics.

I can only think it was done to boost the statistics.

No doubt.

Mislabeling a cause of death makes me wonder if there are any coroner reports like this:

Skateboard wheel hit a cigarette butt on the pavement throwing the rider onto the pavement head first, killing him instantly.

Cause of death: "Complications due to smoking".

• 11 months later...

I agree smoking is bad for one, but I believe the medical is blaming to much on the smoking for all the causes of deaths, if you ever smoked they`ll say well its all the cause of your health problems,and the second hand smoke is the problem for everyone`s else health problems:) There are many other ways to get lung cansers from the chemicals in just about everything.Like you I know many that didn`t smoke and and died from the lung cansers .I don`t know about anyone else, but I am tried of going to the ER and the Docs offices with family members, that will go on for hours lecturing about the dangers of smoking( like what in the hell was that all about!) then see some stepped out and light up a smoke :) They say there are three top ways most will died, heart disease, canser or car accidents.Now they are say obesity might save you from a car accident:) go figure:):)

My grandfather who smoked heavily, died when he was 104 (although he had alzheimers and didn't really know much of anything for the last 10 years)... At his graveside, my grandmother (98) looked down and said smugly "I told him those damn cigars would kill him!"

My grandmother was not exactly the sweet, kind old lady that bakes cookies...

• Like 2

They are taking away the rights of smokers, forcing a lifestyle on them that they do not choose. California is pretty dense when it comes to understanding people.

They are taking away the rights of smokers, forcing a lifestyle on them that they do not choose. California is pretty dense when it comes to understanding people.

It's a nanny state in microcosm and when it fails economically in a few months years the rest of the taxpayers of the US are going to have to foot the bills for their craziness.

Ok, I said it last year when this thread came out and I will say it again.... The town was NOT considering a smoking ban. Apparently FOX news broke the story incorrectly about the ban being considered.