Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Malta Cave and missing Children.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#46    Rocketgirl33

Rocketgirl33

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

• People who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either.

Golda Meir

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

Paul Dangerously, on 22 June 2010 - 11:15 PM, said:

That story was a hoax, albeit a clever one.

How do you know that this was a hoax? The guy who played the tape said that his grandfather was there and that is where he got the tape. If you have information on this being a hoax I would be very interested in finding out the evidence. Thanks Rocketgirl

"He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghost!"
S. King, IT

#47    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,820 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

After a completely fruitless search in the National Geographic archives I can find no record of this account.

Riley Crabbe DID publish a book  "THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD" also published and distributed in full in Dr. Allen's book "ENIGMA FANTASTIQUE" The story first appeared in Riley Crabb's "BORDERLAND SCIENCE" magazine, published by the Borderland Sciences Research Foundation (B.S.R.F.)

Note: thanks goes to Angelfire.com for this info, which I have verified elsewhere

Lois Jessup went on to become Secretary of the "New York Saucer Information Bureau" (better known as NYSIB)

These 2 contributors do not strike me as being particularly credible reporters, and it occurs to me that if this account actually does appear in Nat Geo then I suggest it was as a Book Review rather than as Nat Geo accepting the premise for the article.

#48    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,040 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

I found this in NatGeo's archives. Sounds pretty much like the OP says.

http://www.realityun...world_below.php

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#49    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,820 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

susieice, on 18 July 2010 - 12:32 PM, said:

I found this in NatGeo's archives. Sounds pretty much like the OP says.

http://www.realityun...world_below.php
With respect this is not from Nat Geo archives. It appears to be a slightly changed version of the OP's source. I really would like to see the original Nat Geo source, to know whether it was simply a book review (which is my current belief) or has some provenance with respect to acceptance by Nat Geo as a premise.

There are dozens of sites that cite this same story and all say Nat Geo, but none actually have a link to follow that takes you back to Nat Geo.

It does make me wonder if this is a self-perpetuating myth , or whether there is real substance to it.

#50    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,040 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

I ran the title and author through two of the largest libraries I know, the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library. I got no results in either. You would think if it got the interest of NatGeo they would have this book in their catalogs. It couldn't have been a very popular read. They do have NatGeo but I can't find anyway to access the magazine's August 1940 issue online.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#51    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Prithee, on 11 June 2010 - 02:52 PM, said:

That is exactly what I was thinking too. I love those books. He is a wonderful writer.

I have National Geographics dating back that far at my home in the States. When I return I will have to look for this story. Very interesting.

Are these novels or true stories this author writes?

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#52    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

susieice, on 18 July 2010 - 01:56 PM, said:

I ran the title and author through two of the largest libraries I know, the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library. I got no results in either. You would think if it got the interest of NatGeo they would have this book in their catalogs. It couldn't have been a very popular read. They do have NatGeo but I can't find anyway to access the magazine's August 1940 issue online.
I believe that is called a "cover up."

#53    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

I wouldn't say it's well documented in National Geographic at all.

First of all, the article isn't called THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD, by Riley Crabb; The article is called "Wanderers Awheel in Malta" by Richard Walter.

There is a pic of the underground caves with a blurb under that basically reiterates the 3 small paragraphs later in the article (I've circled the relevant paragraphs):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nothing spooky or creepy at all. Just an unfortunate story about children getting lost in a cave. Search parties were sent but they weren't found. Nothing about cut ropes or anything. As for the mothers hearing screams, I highly doubt it. If only the mothers heard it, they were probably hearing things because of the overwhelming grief they would be feeling. If others had heard it, I might buy into it.

That's all the entire August 1940 issue says.

Edited by shadowlark, 14 January 2011 - 03:15 AM.

#54    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:02 AM

Wow! Thank you so much for finding that Shadowlark!

#55    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

i know this is an older topic, but i have just read it now. :) i find this one to be very interesting (and kind of spooky as well), and was wondering if anything else has come to light on this one :)

#56    portraitartist

portraitartist

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

• "I am in a lovers quarrell with the world" Robert Frost

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Bavarian Raven, on 19 September 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

i know this is an older topic, but i have just read it now. :) i find this one to be very interesting (and kind of spooky as well), and was wondering if anything else has come to light on this one :)
Me too. This is an interesting read and I have never heard of it untill today. I would like to know more about it as well. OK I saw the article. That is fascintating. But this is one expedition I would not undertake. I absolutely deplore underground things, always have. If I get out of site of the opening of a cave I am a wreck.. Not scared of heights, been rappelling and flying. Not scared of water or being under water. Not scared of much in the natural world, but underground eeek.. Don't like it at all, but love to read about it lol

Edited by portraitartist, 19 September 2011 - 06:49 PM.

#57    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,521 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

as an aside, i thought i would add, its surprisngly hard to find information on these caves at all :unsure2: (half-way reliable information)... :no:
i found (or thought i had found) two good links on the topic, but of course both pages failed to load. lol - it appears as if the topic itself is becoming cursed.lol

#58    rcade21

rcade21

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone know if people in present day are allowed to venture into the cave(s) anymore? I'm curious to see if there are any other stories similar, whether here or around the world. This is truly a truly creepy story, whether fact or fiction! Posted Image

#59    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,521 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

rcade21, on 05 October 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Does anyone know if people in present day are allowed to venture into the cave(s) anymore? I'm curious to see if there are any other stories similar, whether here or around the world. This is truly a truly creepy story, whether fact or fiction! Posted Image

probably not without special permission - we 'need' to assemble a team and explore the caves and find these monsters. *nods*

#60    Stwrty81

Stwrty81

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Please-Forgive-Me, on 23 February 2010 - 03:53 AM, said:

Thank you for the link, I am starting to read the book now becasue I have never heard of it before, so it will take me a while! It is a fascinating topic when you take the time to consider it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users