Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Miniature Star Trek style tractor beam built

star trek tractor beam st andrews dr tomas cizmar

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

A miniature working version of a Star Trek-style "tractor beam" has been invented for the first time by scientists at a Scottish university.

Researchers from St Andrews demonstrated that the microscopic-scale apparatus could pull tiny particles suspended in water towards it via a beam of light, rather than push them away as would normally happen.

Although scientists have been able to manipulate light in various ways for decades, the experts claim they are the first to build a "tractor beam" which works of its own accord and does not require help from a computer to "trap" objects before shifting them.

http://www.telegraph...beam-built.html

Posted Image

#2    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Star Trek: the best idea-giver science has!

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,986 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 25 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Star Trek: the best idea-giver science has!

well its early days yet for the beam, but if they throw enough money and research at it, who knows where it will end up!?

Agreed re Star Trek :tu:

Edited by seeder, 26 January 2013 - 05:43 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

View Postseeder, on 26 January 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

well its early days yet for the beam, but if they throw enough money and research at it, who knows where it will end up!?

Agreed re Star Trek :tu:
so far, it got us communicators (cell phones), tractor beams and 3D-Printers....all that other stuff is just a matter of time... ;)

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,986 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 26 January 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

so far, it got us communicators (cell phones), tractor beams and 3D-Printers....all that other stuff is just a matter of time... ;)

and slidey automatic doors!  I still remember the first big tesco's near us got auto doors.. I think I drove them nuts as a kid walking endlessly in and out of them!  Feeling like I was on Star Trek!  Nowadays there are everywhere...

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Star Trek has got to be the greatest (and the nerdiest) scifi ever.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#7    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

how could i forget to mention slidey doors?????

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,269 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Postseeder, on 26 January 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

and slidey automatic doors!  I still remember the first big tesco's near us got auto doors.. I think I drove them nuts as a kid walking endlessly in and out of them!  Feeling like I was on Star Trek!  Nowadays there are everywhere...
The first buildings with escalators arrived in Ho Chi Minh City about ten years ago, and there was a long queue of people wanting to try it out -- over and over.  Now of course they are everywhere.

#9    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

its in star wars too

#10    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,056 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 26 January 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

how could i forget to mention slidey doors?????

Swish swish :yes:

As for tractor beams?
A death ray would be easier.
I just say come to Papa!

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY
credentials http://www.unexplain...amp;pid=2291684

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924
If one were to try and pidgin hole me I'd say I was a Jeffersonian liberal.

#11    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Ah Star Trek the show that keeps on giving.

#12    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

hehe... oh how the future will be like computers are to todays geriachtrics =D I sometimes anticipate going cenile with a hover car I wonder if bath robes will still exist :P

Exciting news though considering it doesn't technically kill the person by transporting them to the ship.

Edited by chopmo, 28 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#13    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

The swish swish door noise was actually a sheet of paper being taken from an envelope...

#14    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

It gave us the Wiggles jerseys too

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,986 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 28 January 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

The swish swish door noise was actually a sheet of paper being taken from an envelope...

if you like the star trek sound effects you will love pressing buttons on this page, scroll down for verbals

http://www.mediacoll.../star-trek/tos/

Edited by seeder, 28 January 2013 - 05:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users