Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did the Universe Have an Infinite Number Of

thefinalfrontier

That might sound like what happens when a poet reads a physics textbook, but it's an actual theory put forward by Stephen Hawking-grade scientists. Stephen Hawking, in fact, and Professor Thomas Hertog of CERN, who came up with a unique answer to how the universe began: "In every way imaginable."

That's not the result of chemically-assisted consciousness, either, they actually derived their way to that solution to solve problems in the existing approach. Physics is excellent at starting somewhere and working out what happens afterwards - but when the whole question is "how did things start?" you can't do that.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Commander Travis

• thefinalfrontier

• sepulchrave

• Render

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of thing confuses my brain.

Uhu, it's one of the already well-established speculations.

And?

I think the main point (although the sound-bite style article is woefully short on details) is that Hawking and Hertog have found a way of quantitatively identifying evidence of the early multiple-reality form of the universe as discontinuities in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Of course Triade is completely right. The Daily Galaxy article may have indeed been `news' back when Hawking and Hertog actually wrote their paper (arXiv link) back in 2006!

Apparently on slow news days editors at the Daily Galaxy search through old research.

This kind of thing confuses my brain.

Same here.