Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chiropracty

Shardic

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shardic

• MissMelsWell

• Rhungobains

• Promethius

Patience, I'm sure people will have opinions. However, this thread is definately in the wrong subforum, which can't be helping. also, perhaps make the thread a little more inviting, add you're own opinions, and a little more information to the first post perhaps.

anyways, sorry for preaching.

Shardic, I've been going to Chiropracters all my adult life, on a need-to basis. I had a job that involved strenous work and often suffered neck, back and shoulder pain. The ones I went to that used the old 'bone popping' method always did me some good. These newer ones that just use a little clicker on my foot never helped. I would reccomend a good chiro. to anyone. I have avoided a couple of surgeries by using a chiro. KennyB

Well, I think up until very recently, I might have chimed in that chriropractors are quacks and often do more damage than good. I think that MIGHT still be the case, however, a good one might be able to do some real good.

My 22 year old daughter has had increasing migrane headaches over the last 3 or 4 years... I just assumed it was from all the time she spent on her computer playing video games. As it turned out, she has scoliosis with a pretty dramatic S curve in her spine. She's been seeing a chiropractor my mother really likes for hte last 4.5 months... Almost instantly, her migraines went away and she hasn't had one since she started seeing this guy. Last Friday, I saw the dramatic effects it's had on her spine, all without surgery... on the Xrays, I see that the previous dramatic S shape is nearly gone, her spine is dang near almost straight now. No kidding. She can also walk LONG distances now that she always had trouble with before.

so, I have to say... with the right chiropractor who knows what s/he's doing, you may achieve some really good results and avoid surgery for certain problems. It's done wonders for my daughter. Oh... she's also gained an inch in height! No kidding! Yes, her results have been fantastic.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Good for back pain, anything more and they are quacks.

The one I went to a couple of times when I was having real bad back pain DID help me, I thought, had electrical stimulation things and a massage chair and such - didn't cure anything, but I was able to walk out the door normally where I had hobbled in slowly clutching the wall - but a day later, it hurt worse than ever, but then it got better and eventually "healed" up, so I don't know how much I can attribute to them, but I think they did SOME good.

how do i delete posts?

Delete the same way you just edited this one. If you wait too long you can't change it. Meanwhile, why delete anything? Three posts? They are all precious seeds, being the precursors to Shardik the Mythical Bear rampaging through Unexplained Mysteries. Some day. And btw, this is not who you expect it to be. I am the Father of Rho's spawn. Hello!.

Edited by Harte

The big problem with Chiropractic in general is that it's pseudoscience. They make no concrete claims and therefore can't be held accountable for anything (short of killing someone). There are good Chiropractic schools that teach the value of Chiropractic techniques (like Mattshark said, pretty much neck/back pain relief) but accept the limits of those techniques, and there are Chiropractic schools that look at the field as a nearly Religious cure-all.

If you know a Chiropractor and ask him about dealing with an inner-ear imbalance and he tells you to ask your doctor, that's a good sign.

If you ask a Chiropractor about your inner-ear imbalance and he tells you to ask your doctor (but that everyone needs an adjustment anyway), that's iffy

If you ask a Chiropractor about your inner-ear imbalance and he tells you all you need is an adjustment and gives the same answer when you ask about your unsightly rash or your bad hair day, run away

I think the therapeutic value of visiting a Chiropractor are very limited. That said, they tend to attract loyal-unto-death customers (some of whom don't have symptoms Chiropractic treatment can affect). The biggest reason for this (and what medical doctors could and should learn from Chiropractors) is that a great deal of their training is about bedside manner. Many people are happy to fork over their weekly adjustment money just for the chance to have someone seem interested in their well-being.

***Note*** I had a friend who graduated from one of the "If everyone on earth got daily adjustments beginning at birth, disease would be eradicated" cult-type schools. If you ever have such a friend and don't want to lose that friend, don't make comments like, "I bet you guys really hate ducks", or, "I've got this problem, could you prescribe...Oh wait, you guys can't prescribe anything can you? Weird how you still insist on being called doctor..."

I have always held chiropractic in the realm of fringe science, not pseudo science. The difference is that pseudoscience consists almost entirely of justification based on a misleading explanation of scientific principles, while fringe science generally maintains clear boundaries about where they deal with established science and where they deal with speculation.

I am a network engineer, and tend to spend many hours sitting in front of a PC. I am also an archer. When I first started archery, I felt my index finger going a little numb. I just figured that it was due to the bow string deadening it. Several months later, I met a chiropractor at a home show, with some mild lower back pain that I attributed to my job. I made an appointment, still somewhat hesitant. At his office, he made a cursory examination of me, read over my medical history, looked at my x-rays, and did an odd little electrical impedance test up and down my spine. At the end of it, he pointed out to me how my head was bent way too far forward beyond my shoulders, instead of on top of it as it should be, and how that was placing stress on another portion of my back. He then went on to explain how that portion of the back had a connection to the hand and arm muscles, and asked me if I had been experiencing any typing pain or numbness. I think he was looking for carpal tunnel, although I've never had it, but it did remind me of my numb finger. I pointed it out to him, and he nodded, although he mentioned he wasn't familiar with just a single digit being affected.

He also pointed out a few other discrepencies in my x-rays that eventually lead to him findign out about my archery. It seems (and, in hindsight, it's rather obvious), that pulling a 60 pound bow along one side of my body was throwing my alignment out of whack. Long story short, he prescribed a series of treatments and training for me, including three times a week at first, eventually decreasing to one a month. He also strongly recommended that I purchase a left-handed bow and begin practicing.

After that first session, I was a bit sore. That evening, however, at the archery range, It struck me how stable I was, and how I hadn't even noticed before how much I was swaying in my stance before. I got an old left-hand bow from a friend and began using that as well, much to the amusement of one of my buddies who shoots with me regularly.

After about three weeks, I noticed a tingling in my numb finger. Over the next several weeks, my finger returned to full-feeling. My latest x-rays show my head stably positioned directly above my shoulders, and my impedance scans show generally clear readings. Once a month I get a quick alignment, and I leave wondering if I really need to continue attending, but four weeks later I'm looking forward to it, as I can feel myself stiffening up.

I am still skeptical, and more than once I've read through the leaflets the chiropractor likes to leave around the office for his patients with a crooked eye. He's learned to be careful about what he claims around me, although he still insists that I should live a healthier and more natural lifestyle (he's not big on refined drugs, although he understands their occasional necessity). I'm aware of the dangers of chiropractic, and I don't fault him for not talking about them in the office (how many doctors casually converse about the dangers of a given procedure?).

If I had to give advice, I would say that chiropractic is still in its infancy as a science, and to be cautious when selecting a chiropractor. Makes sure the practitioner isn't trying to baffle you with bull, and that he has a sense of boundaries regarding what is achievable and what is unlikely to be achieved (not to be mistaken with an ego complex, which, frankly, is something more than one medical doctor is guilty of). Like natural medicine, it isn't clear why something works for one person but not for another, and there is going to be a probationary period for any technique. Don't expect a clear solution to a given problem.

Edited by aquatus1

Well, I think up until very recently, I might have chimed in that chriropractors are quacks and often do more damage than good. I think that MIGHT still be the case, however, a good one might be able to do some real good.

My 22 year old daughter has had increasing migrane headaches over the last 3 or 4 years... I just assumed it was from all the time she spent on her computer playing video games. As it turned out, she has scoliosis with a pretty dramatic S curve in her spine. She's been seeing a chiropractor my mother really likes for hte last 4.5 months... Almost instantly, her migraines went away and she hasn't had one since she started seeing this guy. Last Friday, I saw the dramatic effects it's had on her spine, all without surgery... on the Xrays, I see that the previous dramatic S shape is nearly gone, her spine is dang near almost straight now. No kidding. She can also walk LONG distances now that she always had trouble with before.

so, I have to say... with the right chiropractor who knows what s/he's doing, you may achieve some really good results and avoid surgery for certain problems. It's done wonders for my daughter. Oh... she's also gained an inch in height! No kidding! Yes, her results have been fantastic.

that's wonderful to hear :yes:^_^

I'm more of a foot man, myself.

I'm a bit skeptical of the majority of their methods, but not a disbeliever. I wear a messenger bag frequently with a laptop and a ton of stuff in it. I was a field tech and constantly getting in and out of my car pulling it out with me. That, combined with a lot of plain old bad posture and bad lifting technique, would get me messed up in a big way. I would "throw my back out" and be hunched over like Mr. Burns. I'm 6'3" and in good shape, so seeing me hunched over and not able to stand up is weird. The first couple of times it happened to me, I would wait it out till I could stand up again, usually a few days later to be honest with it being a slow process. I even visited my family doctor who gave me some muscle relaxers (I'm not one to pop them or pain pills hardly ever) and all that did was mask the pain. About the third time it happened I went to a chiropractor who a friend recommended. I went in the next day after it happened. The guy poked a little fun at me for being hunched over (all taken in fun, I wasn't bothered) and after a quick little exam he said it wasn't my back that was out, it was more my hip. He then put me on the table and adjusted my hips. Quick hurt and felt a pop. Then I stood up. Immediately I was standing straight. I couldn't believe it. I was sore, but I didn't hurt. Felt like I would after a good workout. He did some more adjustments and off I went. Everytime something like this happens to me which is usually once every three or four years, I go in and get an adjustment and I am all better. They always recommend a number of visits but usually I don't bother (due to money being tight).

Basically I agree with what a couple other posters above stated - there's some excellent things with neck/back issues, but if someone tells you it cures all, run from them. I can't buy into that and haven't seen any evidence it does. But for some things it really is a much better solution as opposed to muscle relaxers and/or pain killers.

Basically I agree with what a couple other posters above stated - there's some excellent things with neck/back issues, but if someone tells you it cures all, run from them. I can't buy into that and haven't seen any evidence it does. But for some things it really is a much better solution as opposed to muscle relaxers and/or pain killers.

Well, I think I'm coming around to agreeing with you. And, like other here, I don't think chiropractory is a solution to all health problems, but may have benefit for back, neck and hip problems. I've seen my daughter's scoliosis almost be cured without a knife or back brace involved. I might try to get a picture of the X-rays after the first of the year when she's scheduled for the next one so people can see what a real difference it is. My niece had all the back braces, and finally surgery for her scoliosis, she's still not right and still in pain. They went the surgery route because they couldn't afford a chiropractor (and didn't think it could really help) and insurance doesn't cover it. My folks are paying for my daughter's treatments, and I won't lie, they're EXPENSIVE... $50 an adjustment, 3 times a week for 6 months. That's at a discount too... the practice reduced their rate because my mom also gets adjustments there for her lower back issues which have really improved too. I think there might be something to it for SOME problems.

someone near the top said that this was posted in the wrong sub heading, could someone:

A: tell me what sub heading this belongs in

B: tell me if i can to move this thread or if I have to repost.

C: teach me how to quote somebody else

D: direct me to a tutoreal so that im not constantly asking for help :wacko:

B - a mod can probably move it.

C - to quote, find the post of the person you wish to quote and click 'reply' (or multiquote if you want to quote more than one)

D - the 'Web Site & Forum News, Updates & Support' forum in the 'Other' section at the bottom should help you.

Edited by Rhungobains

I went to a Chiropractor for arthritis in my neck that also caused me to have bad headaches. My D.O. told me to go because the meds she was giving really weren't working. He cured it, I no longer have pain in my neck or headaches or that spot in my middle back that has hurt off and on since I was a teenager.

The only pain I have is caused from nerve damage from my MS which is bad enough, I really didn't need arthritis pain to add to it. I am very grateful or my Chiropractor and what he did for me.

My mother had two back surgeries for arthritis in her back and they didn't really do her that much good. I wish she would have went to a Chiropractor, I think she would have gotten a lot more relief from her pain.