Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Well made monster and/or alien.

EllJay

In these days of CGI the craftsmanship of good masks, makeup and/or mechanics are a bit on decline. But some of the better aliens or monsters I've seen wasn't CGI. Two was actually from Farscape,

What is your favourite?

NamTar The Mad Scientist from Farscape:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdkronaiMDI[/media]

Namtar.jpg

Farscape1x09.png

Another was the Devil in Legend. Amongst the better monsters I have seen, and the movie is from 1985 nonetheless.

[media=]

[/media]

review_lod_10.jpg

Darkness4-72.jpg

• Like 1

Farscape was pretty awesome ....

I love a lot of the original Hellraiser Cenobytes

Man, I thought I would have a bunch of examples for this thread but am drawing a blank now. I'll have to keep thinking. Yours are good.

Man, I thought I would have a bunch of examples for this thread but am drawing a blank now. I'll have to keep thinking. Yours are good.

Post them when you thought of some.

Farscape was pretty awesome ....

I love a lot of the original Hellraiser Cenobytes

Pinhead was a pretty original character. Besides his spikes, I liked his clothing.

Farscape is a great series. The only thing about the show that I truly hate, is the theme music.

It sounds like if one made music out of a stroke and a seizure. Like frantic clawing with nails on a chalkboard and flaying 15 cats alive at the same time. It's the soundtrack to an epilepsy attack.

• Like 1

Is this thread any different to the "Your favourite movie monsters" thread - LINK. I get that one is dealing with "movies" whereas you started this thread off with a comment about a tv-series in Farscape, but I feel that people are responding to this with other movie monsters as well, and I'm struggling to find a reason not to merge the threads.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Is this thread any different to the "Your favourite movie monsters" thread - LINK. I get that one is dealing with "movies" whereas you started this thread off with a comment about a tv-series in Farscape, but I feel that people are responding to this with other movie monsters as well, and I'm struggling to find a reason not to merge the threads.

To me movie monsters mean Frankenstein ,Alien ,The Thing .

This list is endless .

Cool make up creations that have no CGI ,is actually different . To me anyway .

The klingons ,aren't movie monsters . Chewbacca ,isn't a monster .He's a,friendly ,albeit cranky,alien .

Like that .

To me movie monsters mean Frankenstein ,Alien ,The Thing .

This list is endless .

Cool make up creations that have no CGI ,is actually different . To me anyway .

The klingons ,aren't movie monsters . Chewbacca ,isn't a monster .He's a,friendly ,albeit cranky,alien .

Like that .

Such as the Devil from Legend and Pinhead from Hellraiser, both of which made appearances in this thread. I understand your point, and for that reason I'll leave this be for now. Hopefully people understand that before posting, else this may just turn into a congruent Movie Monster thread, in which case the threads will have to be merged. But for now, I guess here are some of my favourites:

Gkar_zps056a4b7a.png

G'kar (and others of the Narn race) from Babylon 5.

Borg.jpg

The Borg, Star Trek

• Like 1

Such as the Devil from Legend and Pinhead from Hellraiser, both of which made appearances in this thread. I understand your point, and for that reason I'll leave this be for now. Hopefully people understand that before posting, else this may just turn into a congruent Movie Monster thread, in which case the threads will have to be merged. But for now, I guess here are some of my favourites:

Gkar_zps056a4b7a.png

G'kar (and others of the Narn race) from Babylon 5.

Borg.jpg

The Borg, Star Trek

It's a fine line . I guess die hards such as myself ,separate monster and alien .

I think more of classic monsters .

I wouldn't even consider the fly man thing from the fly remake,a monster ......

Dunno,maybe I'm just weird

:lol:

I see that you already discussed the issue but just to add and/or clarify for others; for the thread title to not be to long I just put movies in there but I think TV-series fits equally good since the mask-making is the same there.

Also, the other monster-thread, as I understand it is about favourite monster character of any sort, not about how they look regardless if its CGI, animated or masks, and also about their role in the movie and how they interact. This thread is solely about the art of masks, makeup and/or mechanics, and I believe I explained it in the OP.

PS: G'kar was a good one. :)

looking.jpg

This one I like, and the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who

What were the weird things in Bab5 called... Vorgons? Vorlons? The weird spirity things encased in an odd cybernetic "thing"...? I was never a fan of Bab 5 but those were an intriguing idea.

Graboids were pretty well-made... for a giant dusty worm.

The first wolf transformation in Company of Wolves (the skinless one).

I think the first time I saw Yoda it blew my mind, same with the banthas... but I was something like 3 years old...

The Thing!!! The puppetry of several of those gribbly beasties was insane.

Speaking of puppets- I love the Skeksis and many of the goblins from Labyrinth, incredible.

That weird giant dirt turtle thing in Never Ending Story, with all the trees growing out its shell.

And of course nothing, NO CGI will ever come close to the magic of Harryhausen's Dynamation!

Edited by Urisk
  • Like 2

What were the weird things in Bab5 called... Vorgons? Vorlons? The weird spirity things encased in an odd cybernetic "thing"...? I was never a fan of Bab 5 but those were an intriguing idea.

Graboids were pretty well-made... for a giant dusty worm.

The first wolf transformation in Company of Wolves (the skinless one).

I think the first time I saw Yoda it blew my mind, same with the banthas... but I was something like 3 years old...

The Thing!!! The puppetry of several of those gribbly beasties was insane.

Speaking of puppets- I love the Skeksis and many of the goblins from Labyrinth, incredible.

That weird giant dirt turtle thing in Never Ending Story, with all the trees growing out its shell.

And of course nothing, NO CGI will ever come close to the magic of Harryhausen's Dynamation!

Yeah I was amazed when I first saw the turtle thing in neverending story, It was basically an island...Also I think the Thing is a groundbreaking monster when it comes to how well they did the effects good choices :tu:

• Like 1

I know some people might think it's lame, but the werewolves from Dog soldiers....

They scared the **** out of me, because of how realistic they where for not being CGI. It's because of how human they where that made it more disturbing for me. lol

• Like 1

I know some people might think it's lame, but the werewolves from Dog soldiers....

They scared the **** out of me, because of how realistic they where for not being CGI. It's because of how human they where that made it more disturbing for me. lol

Yeah, DogSoldiers was a good one. The freakiest scene was with the werewolf/dog who got in the upper bedroom. Big sucker.

Dog_Soldiers_zps3c98f611.jpg

dog.jpg

dogsoldiers-largewerewolf-dvd4.jpg

DogSoldiers2002Image1.jpg

Props_from_Dog_Soldiers_by_time_warrior.jpg

dog-soldiers-6.jpg

Edited by EllJay
  • Like 2

Yeah, DogSoldiers was a good one. The freakiest scene was with the werewolf/dog who got in the upper bedroom. Big sucker.

That's the exact scene that gets me.

Couldn't believe it was actually a guy on stilts. lol I know it's weird but it is the scariest horror monster I have seen. All that CGI stuff doesn't scare me the same. I don't know why, but I just find the thought of that being real and acting the way they do scary as hell. lol

• Like 1

The flying monkeys from "The Wizard of Oz" (1939)... Freaked me out as a kid...

Oz20Winged20Monkey20Dot.jpg

(come to think of it.. the witch was pretty well done as well!)...

As an aside... for her birthday one year I got my baby sister (who is a production line foreman) a t-shirt that says "Don't make me send out my flying monkeys!"

She loves it...

Edited by Taun

They flying monkeys are a bit creepy, must admit.

Dog Soldiers is a mighty werewolf film. Probably my favourite.

Another one, and proving the greatness of Harryhausen: Medusa from Clash of the Titans positively terrified me as a wee pup! The movements are bang-on for sickeningly and hideously ophidian (and i think snakes are great!).

And Gwangi too. I remember wondering how on earth they got cowboys to fight a dinosaur when I was a nipper... I was told that it was a robot with an escalator in it, so when the actor got "eaten" he'd slide down the escalator, exit through the tail and scamper off-screen. Seriously even though I'm talking the late 80s, this was mindblowing stuff and the film was already old!! Man, even the tine Eohippus!

CG's just too clean. There's no guts. No visceral, physical substance. Okay so stop-motion is added later, but someone has actually built the model and moved it millimetre by millimetre.

Then there's the Alien. At its best when you only see bits of it; when it doesn't just look like a skinny African dude in a fibreglass suit. I also love how it's colouration darkens as the film progresses, like an insect hardening after ecdysis.

Edited by Urisk
  • Like 2

I also liked the gremlins from gremlins, that use to be one of my favorite movies when I was younger

• Like 1

Another was the Devil in Legend. Amongst the better monsters I have seen, and the movie is from 1985 nonetheless.

[media=]

[/media]

review_lod_10.jpg

Darkness4-72.jpg

He is my favourite! Of course Tim Curry is under all of that, making it all the more perfect IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Pyramid Head.

He can look somewhat humorous at first, but that goes away when he starts ripping people apart limb by limb.

It's not a very fanciful or spectacular mask, but it is unnerving in a WTF-is-that-for-kind-of-a-thing-and-WTH-does-he-have-on-his-head-OMG-he-is-gonna-kill-me kind of way.

pyramid-head.jpg

Pyramid-Head-in-Silent-Hill-Revelation-2012-Movie-Image.jpg

*Viewer Discretion Is Advised*

[media=]