Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white shark on path for Britain

Still Waters

A great white shark, set to become the first recorded example of her species to cross from one side of the Atlantic to the other, is heading for British shores.

Lydia, a 15-foot (4.5m) giant, is currently 1000 miles from the Cornish coast and keeping to her current path, with a maximum swimming speed of about 35mph, she could arrive within a few days.

http://www.telegraph...s-Atlantic.html

• Like 3

Lydia will be in the soup pot afore she knows it. (A big soup pot)

• Like 3

A great white shark, set to become the first recorded example of her species to cross from one side of the Atlantic to the other, is heading for British shores.

Lydia, a 15-foot (4.5m) giant, is currently 1000 miles from the Cornish coast and keeping to her current path, with a maximum swimming speed of about 35mph, she could arrive within a few days.

http://www.telegraph...s-Atlantic.html

Lol, it sounds like it is a conscious attack on the British Isle - "She has her mind set on the British Isles and nothing is gonna stop her reaching her goal. At a speed of 35mph she relentlessly strive on a course for impact within a few days. Be afraid Britons, be very afraid." :D

• Like 4

I wonder how Great White Shark tastes. Is it a pink or white meated fish do you suppose?
  • Like 1

Congratulations. Britain finally has something to worry about other than the weather.

• Like 2

I wonder how Great White Shark tastes. Is it a pink or white meated fish do you suppose?

I'll tell you once I'm fin-ished eating some.

(lol.... sorry)

• Like 4

Ugh I don't like sharks.

• Like 1

Oh my, that would freak me out if I lived there.

I live in Florida however and we get Shark attacks. It makes me not want to swim in the ocean sometimes after I see articles like this.

• Like 1

Oh my, that would freak me out if I lived there.

We have Great Whites around where I live and shark attacks are fairly rare, although they do happen. Plus, most of the attacks in places like Australia are people who swim outside of the designated areas on beaches that are protected by shark nets.

I'm actually more worried about the jellyfish, seeing as they seem to be more abundant than ever here.

• Like 1

Ugh I don't like sharks.

You like dogs yes? Just think of sharks as sea dogs. Big cute huggable puppies of the sea. :wub:

I find the name Lydia more interesting than anything else.

• Like 2

Well I know that is one way I won't die, is being eaten by a shark because I won't be in the ocean with them! lol

• Like 1

not that rare great whites have been recorded following the tuna on their trans atlantic trip into the mediteranian

not that rare great whites have been recorded following the tuna on their trans atlantic trip into the mediteranian

this is the first what they believe is the first great white shark to cross th Atlantic

• Like 1

Great Whites have been spotted of the UK Coast at least ten times in the last 20 years: Here is a 2012 article from The Express: http://www.express.c...-warning-for-UK

We have Great Whites in the Mediterranean also

that we debunked by marine experts i think

Did you know... Olivia Newton John was once the President of the Isle of Man Basking Shark Society?!

• Like 1

Did you know... Olivia Newton John was once the President of the Isle of Man Basking Shark Society?!

No, but I knew she could turn fat guys into fit guys with a magic headband.

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOO!!!! LYDIA!!!! She has her own fandom here in South Carolina. I got so excited when they said she might be preggers, earlier this year.
  • Like 1

Sharks aren't tasty they use urea as a means of osmoregulation, so after a shark dies, the urea in their body fluids converts into the foul-smelling and toxic ammonia. That being said their fins must make a tasty soup, seeing how an estimated 270,000 sharks are killed around the world everyday for their fins.
  • Like 2

Sharks aren't tasty they use urea as a means of osmoregulation, so after a shark dies, the urea in their body fluids converts into the foul-smelling and toxic ammonia. That being said their fins must make a tasty soup, seeing how an estimated 270,000 sharks are killed around the world everyday for their fins.

270,000 + 1 if it decides to come here.Fisherman don't like sharks ripping their nets.We are waiting...
  • Like 1

270,000 + 1 if it decides to come here.Fisherman don't like sharks ripping their nets.We are waiting...

:( don't do it.
  • Like 2

The biggest danger in the sea around the UK is the cold, it's far more likely to kill you than anything living. The currents can be strong to, plenty of people still get swept out to sea and are never seen again :P

Edited by Finity

that we debunked by marine experts i think

Most were shown to be mis-identified as Great Whites, with 10 reports being labelled as "Credible". I dont think there is any doubt that Great White´s inhabit the Med, with the largest ever caught worldwide, being taken off of morocco.

it looks like its around the Dutch Cap area where there are good fishing grounds, (mentioned in film The Perfect Storm), but if it does decide to come here the best we can do is send the tag back to the owners,end of story.We don't want anyone gobbled up by this creature.