Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA plans out Hubble’s doom

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Starlyte

Starlyte

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

• Wisdom begins in wonder.
    --Socrates

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:51 PM

$300 million space tug considered for deorbit operation

user posted image
The Hubble Space Telescope is moved out of the shuttle Columbia's cargo bay at the end of a servicing mission in 2002.

In the wake of the space shuttle Columbia disaster, NASA pulled the plug on any plans it had to retrieve the Hubble Space Telescope at the end of its life so it could be displayed in a museum. But a pressing question remained: how to safely deorbit an 11,000-kilogram space observatory that has no onboard means of propulsion. The answer that NASA has all but settled on is to build a roughly $300 million autonomous space tug that would launch on a Delta 2 rocket, grapple Hubble and guide the space telescope safely into Earth’s atmosphere.

THE IDEA is that once the observatory has exhausted its scientific utility it should be carefully de-orbited so it will come down in an unpopulated area.

Hubble, unlike most satellites, has no onboard propulsion system, relying instead on control momentum gyroscopes and flywheels to point the telescope and maintain stability. The entire observatory is boosted whenever a space shuttle visits for a periodic service call.

Michael Moore, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope program executive, said he hopes to award multiple study contracts in the year ahead to firms interested in building such a system. The proposed project, which has no funding as of yet, would be managed by the Hubble Space Telescope program office at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., and would draw on expertise across the agency, Moore said. The price tag for the proposed Hubble disposal mission would be paid for by NASA’s Astronomical Search Origins program, which gets roughly $900 million a year to build and operate space telescopes.

NASA selected the autonomous space tug approach after considering a less technically challenging option: having astronauts attach a propulsion module during the next — and possibly final — Hubble servicing mission. With that mission slated for mid-2006, Moore said NASA would have been hard-pressed to build and test a deorbit stage that could get the job done when the time came without interfering with Hubble science operations in the meantime. But aside from the schedule challenge, NASA faced a very significant logistical challenge. The next Hubble servicing mission, Moore said, is already fully booked. “One of the problems we would run up against would be finding room in the payload bay,” Moore said.

Building an autonomous stage for deorbiting Hubble, Moore said, would buy NASA about six more years to design and build the system and essentially eliminate the risk of doing damage to a valuable science asset. That’s because NASA could wait until Hubble ceases science operations before launching the tug to bring the telescope down. With at least one more servicing mission planned for Hubble in mid-2006, NASA expects the space telescope to last until around 2012.

IDEAS SOLICITED

In the meantime, NASA hopes to get started in the year ahead soliciting ideas for the disposal mission. Lockheed Martin, the Bethesda, Md.-based contractor that built Hubble for NASA, has already shared some ideas for the mission with NASA. Chicago-based Boeing Co., which is under contract to conduct an unrelated orbital rendezvous demonstration for the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, in 2006, has also weigh in with ideas.

Moore said he expects the technological risk associated with the Hubble disposal mission to be significantly reduced by a number of orbital rendezvous and satellite servicing demonstrations planned in the years ahead. Those demos include DARPA’s Boeing-led Orbital Express demonstration, the U.S. Air Force’s planned XSS-11 microsatellite experiment, and NASA’s own Demonstration of Autonomous Rendezvous Technology, a planned 2004 flight demonstration led by Dulles, Va.-based Orbital Sciences Corp.

“We actually think that having three programs that are funded right now to look at aspects of this issue are really going to be a great help reducing the risks,” Moore said.

The propulsion module itself will be fairly run of the mill, according to Moore. “The rest of the system is very straightforward,” he said. “It’s off-the-shelf rocket motors, plumbing and avionics.”

Full Article LINK

The Earth has music for those who listen." - Shakespeare

Posted Image

#2    The Nameless One

The Nameless One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• (\ /)
    (0.0)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Frank The Rabbit: 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:28 AM

Hubble rules!!! thumbsup.gif  

One night I ventured to my wooden rocking chair right outside my back porch, and I looked to the sky in the break of twilight, staring into the dark mirror of space, filled with sands of star dust, colossal supernovas and red giants, strings of wormholes and distant planets beyond my grasp. A place where tiny enigmatic hidden black holes tear through the fabric of space and time which, who knows; may lead into other dimensions and perhaps alternate realities. And as I look up at this heavens mirror which my hands can only reach so far through this looking glass, I felt an odd sensation of something looking back staring into my own eyes, staring into a whole other universe of which I new nothing about until I saw my reflection within it, and in that moment I then knew that the key which open the portal doors to parallel worlds was myself.    "The Eyes of the Universe, Chris Landrum"

#3    forcer

forcer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 01:49 AM

dam i was hoping hubble would come back to us together NOT IN PIECES

There is no emotion; there is peace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users