Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Modern wheat, perfect chronic poison

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,215 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

(CBS News) Modern wheat is a "perfect, chronic poison," according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world's most popular grain. Ariticle and Video

After reading this I am wondering if I should stop eating wheat altogether.  It seems to cause a host of problems from over eating to diabetes and it not because of gluten but something called gliadin that's in this genetically modified wheat.  Could be why we have so many overweight people.  What do you think?

Edited by Hilander, 04 September 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#2    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

Well, I'm overweight because I eat at McDonald's, Culvers, Taco Bell, etc. and I don't exercise.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,580 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

I think when it comes to things like this, we are the best judge sometimes.

Give up wheat for 6 weeks and see if you notice a difference.

But you need to be informed (wheat is in a lot of foods) and strict, as just eating "a little"  wheat may undermine the whole thing.

6 weeks off any food won't hurt you. So when you read articles like this, if you feel so inclined, or your body is suffering, I say try it. Find out for yourself.

But I am no physician or nutritionist so I suggest asking your health care professional first.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,215 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

The gliadin protein in wheat binds with the opiate receptors in your brain which increases your apetite.  That's why I wonder if it has anything to do with so many over eating.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,748 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

My GP's instructions to lose weight and manage my cardiac arrhythmia are as follow:
Less then 600mL of Coke a day.
Less then 250g of chocolate a day.
No more then three thin slices of cheese a day (basically what would cover a reasonably sized piece of bread).
No more then four slices of bread.
With a few other rules - the usual about bacon and fatty foods, but the cheese and the bread one surprised me.

#6    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

i think the problem is people have a fast paced and stressful life in the modern day so they dont eat right or exercise wich everyone should find time to do. (doesnt have to be super hard or involve going to the gym filled with ppl it could just be playing a game of football in the backyard everyday with your kids or swimming.)

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#7    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

View Postbones101proof, on 04 September 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Everyday I see people at the grocery store, in machine wheel chairs who are 300+ pounds, stocking their baskets with 3 liter cokes, corn dogs, 2lb. bags of doritos, fried chicken from the deli, etc. I really don't think these fat people are eating much wheat, in fact some of them probably haven't heard of wheat.
A corn dog, never heard that one, googled it though, those atrocities are called Dagwood Dogs or Pluto Pups on these shores. I think I ate one once. Or maybe I ate it several times, as it kept coming up for air.

:P

#8    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostHabitat, on 04 September 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

A corn dog, never heard that one, googled it though, those atrocities are called Dagwood Dogs or Pluto Pups on these shores. I think I ate one once. Or maybe I ate it several times, as it kept coming up for air.

well they are called corn dogs because the batter they used is made out of corn bread (sometimes it pancake with sausage)

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#9    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

View Postnotoverrated, on 04 September 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

well they are called corn dogs because the batter they used is made out of corn bread (sometimes it pancake with sausage)
I'd be surprised if the batter contained any corn in them here. Plenty of wheat grown in Aus, not much corn.

#10    CreativeThinker

CreativeThinker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

i say stick with brown wholemeal bread and pasta (the bread shld also be from a superior brand) -  if trying lose wight tho, avoid bread and pasta

#11    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostHabitat, on 04 September 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

This reminds me of the simpsons episode where they went to australia. That aussie guy says "that's a strange name, i'd have called them cuzzwuzziliers"

What else would you call a hotdog covered in corn batter?

Then again we know them over here as battered hotdogs, but we have never been creative with naming things.

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,249 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Amen sista !
Yes ,if I do wheat items ,has to be organic,and I do it rarely .
I have celiac disease,but I occ cheat ,but the key words here are MODERN WHEAT .
How its so over processed today .
Wheat ,corn ,soy and sugars,in the modern diet,is what is killing us.

One of my acupuncture teachers went to vietnam for six weeks one year.
They don't use wheat at all there. She came back 20 pounds lighter,and felt 1000 times better ,from just eating a veitnamese diet ,which even includes fried foods,just no wheat.
She told anyone who would listen .
Don't eat wheat ,end of story .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 04 September 2012 - 09:53 AM.

Miss me?

#13    dice401

dice401

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 04 September 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Amen sista !
Yes ,if I do wheat items ,has to be organic,and I do it rarely .
I have celiac disease,but I occ cheat ,but the key words here are MODERN WHEAT .
How its so over processed today .
Wheat ,corn ,soy and sugars,in the modern diet,is what is killing us.

One of my acupuncture teachers went to vietnam for six weeks one year.
They don't use wheat at all there. She came back 20 pounds lighter,and felt 1000 times better ,from just eating a veitnamese diet ,which even includes fried foods,just no wheat.
She told anyone who would listen .
Don't eat wheat ,end of story .

Agreed! My mom went to Vietnam for 6 weeks also, she lost almost 30 lbs by time she got back.

#14    dice401

dice401

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis is a very eye opening book. He even gives the history of how wheat has changed - having gone from 1 or 2 types of wheat to over 20 thousand varieties.

#15    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,706 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I"m a little underwhelmed with the article. It's kind of skewed.

Gliadin isn't really a new thing. It isn't gluten, but it is one of the main proteins that make gluten, along with glutenins.
The "genetic research of the 60's and 70's" are not the same thing as GMO's we have become concerned about recently.
There isn't just one kind of wheat either. There isn't just one single 18 inch plant developed in the 60-70's that's universally grown. There are multiple bread wheats, pasta wheat, and other wheats too.

How we process our wheats and our consumption of refined products is more likely to be a problem medically or in dietary needs than the grain itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users