Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family 'forced' to live in filth

Still Waters

A US man has been charged with rape and child abuse after allegedly keeping his wife and four children inside a filthy, roach-infested caravan for three years.

Raymond Thurmond kept his alleged captives in such disgusting conditions that when police finally searched the mobile home, one officer had to wear a gas mask and another refused to continue.

They found thousands of cockroaches and other insects breeding in drawers, cupboards and furniture.

Spoiled food littered the place, and a plumbing problem left the floors rotten and mattresses covered in mould.

Investigators say the 36-year-old forced his wife and four children to live in the three-bedroom trailer in the town of Lavonia, Georgia, for three years, allowing them to leave only once.

Even then, it was only fleeting - a two-hour Easter visit to see his wife's parents.

A spokeswoman for the police called the caravan a "virtual prison".

Lieutenant Missy Collins said: "He controlled what they ate, what they did. He controlled pretty much everything."

Click Here

If only his wife or his children had told someone what was going on.......too scared of him I suppose. Reading what this man did just makes me sick to my stomach :angry2:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dkkjf68

• sandee

• conspiracybeliever

• Still Waters

I have no idea how this could have happened? Did the kids not go to school? They're all school age. Didn't the neighbors or the park managers wonder why they never saw anyone but the husband? If he was beating his wife and she was screaming how did the neighbors not hear? It says it is a trailer park. The trailers are pretty close together. It's like living in a campground and no one suspected anything for 3 years? I wonder if they were afraid if they asked for help they'd end up in a worse situation. I'd like to hear what they have to say about why they were living like that. Why did police finally search the mobile home? Too many unanswered questions.

A US man has been charged with rape and child abuse after allegedly keeping his wife and four children inside a filthy, roach-infested caravan for three years.

Raymond Thurmond kept his alleged captives in such disgusting conditions that when police finally searched the mobile home, one officer had to wear a gas mask and another refused to continue.

They found thousands of cockroaches and other insects breeding in drawers, cupboards and furniture.

Spoiled food littered the place, and a plumbing problem left the floors rotten and mattresses covered in mould.

Investigators say the 36-year-old forced his wife and four children to live in the three-bedroom trailer in the town of Lavonia, Georgia, for three years, allowing them to leave only once.

Even then, it was only fleeting - a two-hour Easter visit to see his wife's parents.

A spokeswoman for the police called the caravan a "virtual prison".

Lieutenant Missy Collins said: "He controlled what they ate, what they did. He controlled pretty much everything."

Click Here

If only his wife or his children had told someone what was going on.......too scared of him I suppose. Reading what this man did just makes me sick to my stomach :angry2:

"He controlled what they ate, what they did. He controlled pretty much everything."........but to keep the trailer clean...well that was beyond his reach

I have no idea how this could have happened? Did the kids not go to school? They're all school age. Didn't the neighbors or the park managers wonder why they never saw anyone but the husband? If he was beating his wife and she was screaming how did the neighbors not hear? It says it is a trailer park. The trailers are pretty close together. It's like living in a campground and no one suspected anything for 3 years? I wonder if they were afraid if they asked for help they'd end up in a worse situation. I'd like to hear what they have to say about why they were living like that. Why did police finally search the mobile home? Too many unanswered questions.

I would say no one wanted to get involved. All too often this is the case, how many abuse cases are there where someone could have told what they knew and stopped children from being abused. I don't know the stats but I am sure they are up there. I would immediately turn anyone in if I suspected any kind of abuse but it seems that is pretty rare as people just do not want to get involved and that is sad!

I read this article somewhere else and police said that the youngest 3 had never been to school and the oldest was taken out two years prior. The father told authorities that they were homeschooling the children when they really weren't. He didn't want anyone in contact with the children. But at the same time I'd say that whoever was supposed to be monitoring the parent's home schooling skills and seeing if the children were really learning anything really ****ed up.

I read this article somewhere else and police said that the youngest 3 had never been to school and the oldest was taken out two years prior. The father told authorities that they were homeschooling the children when they really weren't. He didn't want anyone in contact with the children. But at the same time I'd say that whoever was supposed to be monitoring the parent's home schooling skills and seeing if the children were really learning anything really ****ed up.

To say the least! I thought when parents were homeschooling the children still had to take tests and stuff administered by the state. What a mess. What tragedy... once again.

The video is currently unavailable, but I have a pretty good idea as to what this hell-hole looked like. People never cease to amaze me and the things that they are capable of. To be that big of a control freak that you keep your family held hostage in their own home is just beyond me. Hopefully they have gotten the children out of this mess soon enough where they can go on to lead normal lives. Alot of counseling and faith will get them through. I pray for all the vicitms in this mess.

I suspect there is far more to this story than we're being told.

First, one mother and four kids, none of which are todd.ers. Three that are teenagers. Come on....

This is not the kind of "home" that can't be gotten out of with very little effort.

The guy worked away from the trailer park for hours and hours a day. They had plenty of time.

Had it been a mom and a small kid, I understand the fear factor. Teens?? Come on.

And....in regard to the state of the trailer...even if they thought they were prisoners, they could have cleaned the ****hole up themselves.

They did not have to live in that filth. Five freaking grown humans can pick up garbage and clean up spilled food.

I'm not buying it.

There is something else going on.

If the children were raised like this, then they would not know any different. They said in 3 years they were only allowed to leave once. It's easy to say what you do in this situation as you are not in it. I'm with you though, why why why? I can't imagine myself putting up with that crap and letting my children live like that, but we don't know all the facts about why it all came to his. Battered women do not have the backbone to stand up for themselves and in turn their children suffer for it. He must've had them all just scared to death not to leave. Another wackadoo! You would think someone in the trailer park would've heard something--anything if the mom was screaming like that. What a strange story.

It was three years.

The kids would still have been over ten.

The media is missing something. I lived in a trailer park for two years. A decent one. My trailer would have been super easy to get out of in a dozen different ways and the article even says the floor boards were rotted. There is a two foot crawl space right there.

And even with battered woman syndrome (I worked with women who had that and ptsd) the wife may have been out of commission but the kids weren'tt

And they didn't grow up with this...they weren't used to it. They knew life outside.

Something's missing.

Something is definately missing. It's a trailer park. Even if they couldn't get out they could have kept screaming when he was gone to work and lots of people would have heard. How many people in a trailer park do you think would have heard this and stayed away thinking they didn't want to get involved? It's a trailer park. You're never alone. And there are wondows in a trailer. Even if they were locked in the bedroom why didn't they break a window and scream for help. This isn't some terrible, dangerous city slums. Someone would have helped. This is strange. We defiantely don't have the whole story.

Is this man the biological father of these kids? Does anyone know where they lived before? I agree there's gotta be something missing from the story. What a strange one. I lived in a trailer fro about a year after I graduated high school and you couldn't do anything without someone getting in your business. We had a guy that even went through our garbage! (we had a little fun with him on that one ;)) I hope there is more to story that we find out to answer some questions.

I agree something seems amiss here.

If they lived in some remote house with a secure basement or something, but a trailor?. I don't know much but I am sure someone could have broke out- or made a hell of alot of noise.

Dunno, I wonder if some other details will be released.

I suspect there is far more to this story than we're being told.

They did not have to live in that filth. Five freaking grown humans can pick up garbage and clean up spilled food.

I'm not buying it.

There is something else going on.

I have to agree to some point with you. Seems as though something is not adding up -I'm just not sure what.

And apparently, the house smelled so bad that "seasoned cops" had to go in with gas mask in the very beginning. That video that's been aired was AFTER the house had been aired out for two days and it still wreaked.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/MyFox/pa...mp;locale=EN-US

Update with new footage and info

Seems he would not allow them to clean and the mom finally told on him because he was having an affair and was gone!

Edited by sandee

This whole story is just too weird. I just can't imagine what this man could have done to make this woman stay there and keep her children there. I'm sorry but there is also something wrong with this woman. Can someone tell me how he did this? I just don't get it.

Probably they thought they were a Bigfoot family, being from Georgia, and felt it was normal... :lol:

This folks is not a man. A man takes care of his family and does what he has to to not only provide but support his family. This is some sort of not quite human animal. Not a man as I was raised to believe a man is.

Certainly not my idea of a man. More like an machine hellbent on control. Even animals aren't this bad.

Oh my gosh, I googled living in filth to get an update and there are literaly hundreds of stories like this where children are living this way! SO VERY SAD!

They had a family on the show Wife Swap where the parents taught the kids to eat raw and rotten meat in their diet. I couldn't believe it! Anyone else see this? When they switched families the kids got sick from eating cooked food t first. Hmmmm,,,,,let me think here, juicy cooked steak or a jar of rotten meat----oh yeah, I'll take the rotten disgusting smelling meat. This is an example of children don't know any different from what their parents teach them. I feel sorry for the kids when the parents are messed up like that. There was also a story on Sally Jesse Raphael (sp) years ago where the dad was such a cheap skate that he made his kids steal toilet paper from public restrooms, they got their condiments from fast food places, napkins, etc. My sister and her friend happened to be there for the taping of the show and they were laughing so hard (they were young and in college) at this guy that they had to stop taping and tell them to be quiet. It was a whole show dedicated to Cheapskates. I guess it takes all kinds........................... :hmm: It's ok to be thrifty, but not at the expense of your kids.

dkkjf68, I saw that episode too. The only reason why they got that way. Was because they're bodies was so used to the raw meat, it caused them to get sick. I doubt that they were on their "death beds" like the father commented and crying. All they did was get sick. >.O

I agree with everyone else. Something's not right. *Shurgs*