Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Do We Save Ufology?

Ufology is falling off and I blame it on the new generation. Stanton Friedman and the others like him weren't perfect but they brought new things to the table; actively looking for new witnesses, FOIA requests, background checks and etc. You can disagree with their conclusions but they put lots of dots out there that we can connect ourselves.

Who's doing all that today? With tons of witnesses, hotspots, and cases happening every day there's a whole data mine out there just waiting to be dug up. But this new generation just rather keep rehashing the old stuff. It's becoming a dead end science.

Then again why do real investigative work when there's a community of ppl out there that will keep buying the same old book as long as it has a new cover?

Anyway, that's my rant. The purpose of this thread is to get others to share their opinion on how do we put the -ology back in Ufology. It's not meant to be a debate over whether or not the phenomenon is real. So what is it missing? Are new "ufologists" too lazy?

Edited by mister
  • Like 2

It comes and goes in cycles. If someone could actually come up with an actual ship it would help the cause. One thing cameras are getting better and it is easier to spot the cow patties in the sky. It is easier to figure out what things are and they become identified flying objects, like a drone.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 1

There is nothing really there to put a handle on. Most are explained away and still people want to believe that we are visited by a superior race. If that is true than show us the money!!!!

• Like 4

Ufology is falling off and I blame it on the new generation. Stanton Friedman and the others like him weren't perfect but they brought new things to the table; actively looking for new witnesses, FOIA requests, background checks and etc. You can disagree with their conclusions but they put lots of dots out there that we can connect ourselves.

Who's doing all that today? With tons of witnesses, hotspots, and cases happening every day there's a whole data mine out there just waiting to be dug up. But this new generation just rather keep rehashing the old stuff. It's becoming a dead end science.

Then again why do real investigative work when there's a community of ppl out there that will keep buying the same old book as long as it has a new cover?

Anyway, that's my rant. The purpose of this thread is to get others to share their opinion on how do we put the -ology back in Ufology. It's not meant to be a debate over whether or not the phenomenon is real. So what is it missing? Are new "ufologists" too lazy?

The "concept" has never, even by the broadest definition of the term, ever been a "science". The usurpation of the suffix "-ology" is, in itself, an insult to credible research.

• Like 5

We know it is not a science by how UFO-ology (defined more as a subject of interest than one of academic study) isn't actually offering an explanation for a phenomena; it is still struggling to actually show a phenomena exists. No one questions the existence of gravity; the phenomena is uncontested. There are different theories for how gravity works, but the phenomena itself is uncontested. The same with evolution. The phenomena of evolution is uncontested in the academic arena. There are numerous scientific theories that describe the various aspects of evolution, but evolution as a phenomena is uncontested.

UFO-ology simply hasn't reached the level where it has even shown that a phenomena exists to explain.

• Like 2

Save ufology? Got news. If one is ever publicly recovered and proven to be alien then that would be the last nail in the coffin for ufology. I'm all for getting rid of, omg what's that I'll take a horseshiit video of it, stuff. Problem is without those we have nothing to make fun of..wait or is that just me?

• Like 2

Ufology is falling off and I blame it on the new generation.

The problem with Ufology is that there are two streams of it. On the one hand, there is the "Ufology" created by the media - the ones that publish magazines and articles on the subject based on what they think it is but mostly to get an audience. Then combined with that, think of the steady stream of hoaxers who enjoy fooling people with fake pictures and clips and made-up stories...

Then there is the actual phenomenon itself being witnessed by quite a number of people who mostly either don't report it at all to anyone or will mention it to a local UFO group but no more.

I don't think that has ever been otherwise - and I have been at this thing for over fifty years.

Nowadays, we have the internet and that is simply a new form of media where again so many hoaxers want attention. And, unfortunately, this is basically where most people form their opinion on the subject.

Stanton Friedman and the others like him weren't perfect but they brought new things to the table; actively looking for new witnesses, FOIA requests, background checks and etc. You can disagree with their conclusions but they put lots of dots out there that we can connect ourselves.

Who's doing all that today? With tons of witnesses, hotspots, and cases happening every day there's a whole data mine out there just waiting to be dug up.

Like in the past, there are local UFO groups actively doing this but they don't necessarily report their findings to the media.

• Like 5

In the era High Definition imagery, fuzzy lights and blurry blobs with a rousing but unsubstantiated narrative, just don't get it anymore. UFO reports read like modern folktales. For people like me who have been waiting for real evidence for decades, our credulity wears thin. Anecdotal reports are the worst kind of evidence.

• Like 2

UFO-ology isn't going to get the respect i desires as a credible topic of research until it actually begins acting like a credible research topic. That means that the whole "Here's the evidence, put the dots together yourself" needs to end. Researchers don't tell others to come to their own conclusions; they gather their evidence and beat the heck out of it until they have eliminated all the possibilities out of it and present the one with the strongest probability as the most likely explanation. As it is, there is entirely too much bias on the desired result.

Exactly. If you want to learn how to do a proper investigation, read The Condon Report.
  • Like 1

In the era High Definition imagery, fuzzy lights and blurry blobs with a rousing but unsubstantiated narrative, just don't get it anymore.

Don't you know about the aliens' "blurr screen" ??? :alien:

UFO reports read like modern folktales. For people like me who have been waiting for real evidence for decades, our credulity wears thin. Anecdotal reports are the worst kind of evidence.

You really need to experience it for yourself or maybe have someone close to you that has an incredible experience and then you find it harder to dismiss someone you known is quite sane.

Don't you know about the aliens' "blurr screen" ??? :alien:

You really need to experience it for yourself or maybe have someone close to you that has an incredible experience and then you find it harder to dismiss someone you known is quite sane.

Not Necessarily. Even ordinarily mentally stable individuals can experience episodes of cognitive disconnect.
  • Like 1

@aquatus1 I'm not sure what you mean on your last post because ufo sightings as a phenomena is uncontested. We know this phenomena exists. People really are seeing things up there.

@Swede Not everything that falls under the umbrella term "ufology" is science but there are those that engage in the "study of" the phenomenon and what they do is indeed a science. Like the statisticians that study the numbers.

The problem with Ufology is that there are two streams of it. On the one hand, there is the "Ufology" created by the media - the ones that publish magazines and articles on the subject based on what they think it is but mostly to get an audience. Then combined with that, think of the steady stream of hoaxers who enjoy fooling people with fake pictures and clips and made-up stories...

Then there is the actual phenomenon itself being witnessed by quite a number of people who mostly either don't report it at all to anyone or will mention it to a local UFO group but no more.

I don't think that has ever been otherwise - and I have been at this thing for over fifty years.

Nowadays, we have the internet and that is simply a new form of media where again so many hoaxers want attention. And, unfortunately, this is basically where most people form their opinion on the subject.

Pretty much.

Like in the past, there are local UFO groups actively doing this but they don't necessarily report their findings to the media.

There are some here and there I just think there aren't enough. For the ones that exist I think they need to put their findings out there somehow. And do it in a way that they distinguish themselves from hoaxers.

Anecdotal reports are the worst kind of evidence.

When you read these reports on paper coming from people you don't know I can see why it's so easy to dismiss them. That's why I strongly recommend folks to get out there and have face to face conversations with some of these folks yourself. Go to a local event or something and you will see.

If those little grey buggers did land and say, "Take me to your leader", then Ufology will definitely come to an end. :alien:

I think at this point ufology is basically reduced to unexplained lights in the sky,the ETH is unsustainable.Despite the fact everybody has cameras we still aren't getting great pictures of anything resembling a craft and look at the history,I can't remember the last really good case.The ufologists are still concerning themselves with cases from 20,30 and in the case of Roswell nearly 70 years ago,the new cases are just not happening.

• Like 2

When you read these reports on paper coming from people you don't know I can see why it's so easy to dismiss them. That's why I strongly recommend folks to get out there and have face to face conversations with some of these folks yourself. Go to a local event or something and you will see.

That's not science, That's like swapping ghost stories. Been there, done both.

People can be very sane and healthy but still sucking at identifying stuff in the sky.

• Like 1

I think at this point ufology is basically reduced to unexplained lights in the sky,the ETH is unsustainable.Despite the fact everybody has cameras we still aren't getting great pictures of anything resembling a craft and look at the history,I can't remember the last really good case.The ufologists are still concerning themselves with cases from 20,30 and in the case of Roswell nearly 70 years ago,the new cases are just not happening.

I wonder if there aren't people out there that have witnessed extraordinary events and maybe took good video and pics but haven't reported it because they fear the ridicule that comes with it. I bet a lot of people have taken it to their graves.

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 2

UFOs never where about point sources of light far away or shaky intenet videos. It was always about a phenomena that did strange things often up close and personal to people in airplanes and on the ground.

There is a legitamate science here it is just very sparce and often ignored.

That said, the ET hypothesis has easily eclipised the actual phenomena in most peoples minds.

What most people are actually talking about is simply "ETology"! Which does not exist as rightly pointed out.

UFO-ology (Ufology) does exist in the purest sense that Science is obligated to investigate observations we don't understand and certainly when these suggest an unknown phenomena.

• Like 1

I think credible UFOlogists should do their best to discredit what's obviously nonsense, it's not helping, and dragging Ufology back in my opinion.

• Like 1

I wonder if there aren't people out there that have witnessed extraordinary events and maybe took good video and pics but haven't reported it because they fear the ridicule that comes with it. I bet a lot of people have taken it to their graves.

They must have showed it to someone, their closest friends or family at least ? You're subject to ridicule if you tell an outlandish story and have no evidence to prove it. I doubt people have taken good video/pics of extraordinary events, but there's no way of knowing.

When you talk face to face with a person, you pick up their emotions, there is NO way of knowing if they're genuine or not. I look at faces of people who have lied or done worse things, and many times my mind says 'wow this guy doesn't look he's capable of doing something like that'. And if my own dad told me a story about ghosts, It's easy to not be skeptical about it, after all, it's my dad. You tend to believe in people you know.

I'm not implying that they're all liars, but a person who genuinely *thinks* he saw a real ET UFO, may convince you, even if it was an identification error on his part (and he doesn't know it).

I don't dismiss all UFO anecdotes either, sometimes, there is conviction in their eyes or writing.

They must have showed it to someone, their closest friends or family at least ? You're subject to ridicule if you tell an outlandish story and have no evidence to prove it. I doubt people have taken good video/pics of extraordinary events, but there's no way of knowing.

Would you tell family, friends or co-workers. Would you share it here on UM?