Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Classic and campy television programs we love

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Bionic Bigfoot

Bionic Bigfoot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

I'm not sure whether this subject has been posted before or not and since I'm a new member to UM.

A few of the members welcomed me with open arms and mentioned they liked my avatar and nickname.  Well, if any of those members wants a trip down memory lane and if you were born circa 1978, you probably watched and remember the 6 Million Dollar Man.

This science fiction program and its spin off - the Bionic Woman, were what got me initially intrigued by unexplained mysteries.   I was aware that bigfoot/sasquatch was an actual creature of myth, legend and folklore in pop culture at that time too and read as many books on the subject as I could.  Considering it was the 70's, Kenneth Johnson actually created a fairly good representation of Sasquatch AND of course with the late, great Andre the giant playing the part originally. The costume was pretty decent for the time period and combined with those white eyes and the bionic sounds, that TV beast was quite intimidating to younger viewers. ;)

This was Steve Austin's first encounter with the bionic Sasquatch:

And this was Jaime Sommer's first battle with bionic bigfoot:

I believe it does show us that children can be affected by what they watch growing up.  That combined with the fact I had liberal, free thinking parents who gave me permission to explore the unknown and find an interest in those subjects.  I also believe that childhood experiences can form the foundation of who and what we become later on in life.  Not everyone gets a chance to live their childhood years so carefree, full of imagination and wonderment I suppose.

Anyway, what were your favourite TV programs then or now and how do you think they affected you?  Did they shape the person you've become or were they only a distraction at that time.

Edited by Bionic Bigfoot, 13 October 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#2    whitelight

whitelight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

Maybe, but I think it was the special programming in the summer featuring cryptozoology and the paranormal that that drove the scripts of science fiction.

#3    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,233 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

I was a child of Star Trek. (The original! Not all those crappy spin-offs!!!)

/it's okay, i'm better now.

Edit: Capt. Kirk battling the Gorn (Lizard Guy in a leopard print tunic), now that was classy campy TV!

/hmmm... Lizard Guy? (name change might be in order)

Edited by Likely Guy, 13 October 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#4    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,662 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

"In Search of..." Leonard Nimoy 1976-1982. Loved that show.

The Patterson Gimlin image of bigfoot was branded into my brain as a kid (didn't they show it at the start of each episode, or was that another show?) And it still remains there today.

Though campy now rather than serious mystery monster.

But it kept her in my mind as well as  "Legend of Boggy Creek" which totally freaked my out as a kid. Now, that bit of film too, is just campy fun!

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 October 2012 - 01:56 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#5    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 13 October 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

I was a child of Star Trek. (The original! Not all those crappy spin-offs!!!)

/it's okay, i'm better now.

Edit: Capt. Kirk battling the Gorn (Lizard Guy in a leopard print tunic), now that was classy campy TV!

/hmmm... Lizard Guy? (name change might be in order)

EPIC

:tu:

#6    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 13 October 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

I'm not sure whether this subject has been posted before or not and since I'm a new member to UM.

A few of the members welcomed me with open arms and mentioned they liked my avatar and nickname.  Well, if any of those members wants a trip down memory lane and if you were born circa 1978, you probably watched and remember the 6 Million Dollar Man.

This science fiction program and its spin off - the Bionic Woman, were what got me initially intrigued by unexplained mysteries.   I was aware that bigfoot/sasquatch was an actual creature of myth, legend and folklore in pop culture at that time too and read as many books on the subject as I could.  Considering it was the 70's, Kenneth Johnson actually created a fairly good representation of Sasquatch AND of course with the late, great Andre the giant playing the part originally. The costume was pretty decent for the time period and combined with those white eyes and the bionic sounds, that TV beast was quite intimidating to younger viewers. ;)

A walk down memory lane indeed.  Classic shows and I loved every second of them when I was growing up.  I couldn't get enough of this stuff.  :tu:

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Who could forget the biff, bam, pows on Batman? :D

#8    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Kung Fu was a masterpiece! One of my all time favorites. There's just something awesome about a shoalin renegade wandering the wild west kicking gunslinger butt while evading his pursuers from the east. Pure awesomness!

Edited by Biff Wellington, 13 October 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#9    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostBiff Wellington, on 13 October 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Kung Fu was a masterpiece! One of my all time favorites. There's just something awesome about a shoalin renegade wandering the wild west kicking gunslinger butt while evading his pursuers from the east. Pure awesomness!

Oh yeah, another fantastic classic! :D

I had that rice paper walk down SOLID.  :P

Another great one...

So freaking bad...  so freaking good... :lol:

#10    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,419 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Reminiscing.  love it..!
Let's Merge.
http://www.unexplain...pic=235268&st=0

#11    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

Buck Rogers is great! So was Flash Gordon & of course The Twilight Zone & the original Outer Limits.

#12    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 13 October 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Reminiscing.  love it..!
Let's Merge.
http://www.unexplain...pic=235268&st=0

I think they can be appreciated distinctly, but that's a great thread you have as well.  :tu:

#13    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,662 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostMichelle, on 13 October 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

Who could forget the biff, bam, pows on Batman? :D

My daughter watches that today. As I hear it in the background I can't think of any other show ever like it. The cadence of their voices. The bad acting and overacting which fit the show perfectly! And the drawn in SpecialFX, Etc.

It was pop comic come alive. Quite genius (for what it was meant to be) in my book. And such a kid favorite (my generation).

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 October 2012 - 04:22 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#14    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 13 October 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

My daughter watches that today. As I hear it in the background I can't think of any other show ever like it. The cadence of their voices. The bad acting and overacting which fit the show perfectly! Etc.

It was pop comic come alive. Quite genius (for what it was meant to be) in my book. And such a kid favorite (my generation).

If I could...  only...  reach... my... utility.. belt...

:lol:

I loved all these shows when I was growing up!  :D

#15    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,233 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Rod Serling's Night Gallery. Not a series, but in one way or another, it helped form me. ...on second thought, damn you Rod Serling!

Any of you old enough to remember Project Blue Book (1978 -79)?

"Ezekiel saw the wheel. This is the wheel he said he saw. These are
unidentified flying objects that people say they are seeing now. Are they proof ..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users