Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A History of Martian Illusions

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,091 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

www.space.com said:

Humans have been seeing strange things on the surface of Mars for centuries. From the 1700s up through the present day, widespread fame has been available to anyone able to produce even the slightest bit of flimsy evidence that there's Martian life.

The most recent example was this week's supposed revelation that a secret Mars base, inhabited either by humans or Martians, can be seen in a photo of the Red Planet's surface taken by an orbiting spacecraft.

But scientific rigor has always stepped in to prove that these objects are not really there. In this vast and lonely universe, are Earthlings just desperate for next-door neighbors to play with? Looking back over the long history of Martian illusions (and human delusions), it certainly seems so.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,738 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

Good article...

#3    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostPax Unum, on 09 June 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

Good article...
Agreed. :tu:

#4    Surreptitious

Surreptitious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• Words, Meaning, Music.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

I have a large collection of UFO literature. Some of the books or magazines I have date back to the early 20th century. I'll have to look around, but one day I was looking through one and I found a large section devoted to past Mars anomalies. I was surprised to see so much information of different structures, etc. There was also a section on Moon anomalies. I was on google Mars/Moon looking for these supposed anomalies. I could only find about 30% of what I read. I could easily pick out what seemed geological and what appeared to be artificial. I was shocked that the subject was so popular 100 years ago and prior. Strange indeed.

Actually, the Moon info was more interesting. Supposed craters disappearing and reappearing, etc.  

Great Article!!

"Whenever science makes a discovery, the devil grabs it while the angels are debating the best way to use it." ~ A.V.
"A Physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms." ~ G.W.

#5    AliensRPeople2

AliensRPeople2

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

I say there are Mars anomalies... and its not only my opinion... one of my favorite anomalies are the Mars worms...

Pseudoskeptical catch-22:

"Unconventional claims have to be proved before they can be investigated!"  This way, of course, they will never be investigated or proved... by Rochus Boerner

#6    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Why is it just mars and not other planets ?  I mean if you wanted to debunk all
the mars stuff shouldn't use the Earth to show  satellite photos  my appear
to be something they are not.

#7    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Lord, how I hate those freeze screen advertisements.

Good article.  I like reducing the "wish fulfillment" and improving the objectivity.   I would not, however, be surprised to learn there was once a civilization on Mars.  4 or 5 billion years?  Oh yeah, plenty of time for it to have come and gone.

#8    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,713 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

View Postohio state buckeyes, on 10 June 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Why is it just mars and not other planets ?

Well, Mars have so much similarities to Earth and is the most likely candidate to have potential life blooming once in the distant past.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, 10 June 2011 - 01:49 PM.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#9    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Mm. This face is too coincidental for my liking. Not saying that it's an actual structure created by intelligent life, however, I am not entirely sure that it was created by a dust/sand storm. :huh:

Then again, I rarely believe anything the government tells its people. :yes:

#10    1963

Psychic Spy

• 1,106 posts

• When the day is through,and the nightsky shades the blue,and the swallows cease to sing as they fly!.......

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Yeah!...Good find SW!
It's a fascinating subject, with some of the 'great men' of planetary studies, Lowell , Herschel and Schiaperelli as named in the article, being so adamantly confused ,as to stake their illustrious reputations on such outlandish theories and statements as these.
Hoaxers?, Liars?, Sufferer's from a Delusional Disorder?, or just plain Overimaginative?.
Well perhaps...none of the above!...And perhaps...they were the only scientists that ever spoke the truth about what 'The Red Planet' is really like!
A planet that was , and quite possibly still is, a vibrant , hospitable earthlike planet that is surely peopled by indiginous 'Martians'!, People, or intelligent 'creatures' that are capable of great construction feats, such as the 'canals' that were so vehemently asserted by Percival Lowell.(Much to the detriment of the great mans reputation.)
And then jump forward nearly a century or so....and we have the uber-published and debated 'Martian Face ,Pyramids etc' photographs!...Which gave the 'Mars Anomalies' genre an almighty reboot!
In turn, each 'find' , debated, debunked and added to the 'conspiracy-list' by 'some' over-zealous poster's.(which is never helped by NASA's customary delay in responding to queries!)
The truth is...that no-one on a discussion forum, can even contemplate 'Judgement' on the actions or beliefs of these Great men of progressive-science.
Schiaperelli,Herschel and Lowell lived and worked in a very different time from us!
A time of relative ignorance! A time, not too far removed from Witchcraft, Demons , dragons, and all-things possible in far-off places on their home planet!
This alone, does not mitigate their erroneous claims, ...but also take in to account, the state of their scientific instruments!...They were'nt exactly using 'The Grand Telescopio Canarias' were they?...No!...i'm No expert on these matters, but I would hazard a guess that if he had been using a similar one, rather than his own 5 incher(no pun intended.),then his perception of the Martian Topography may have been a little different!

Anyway...that's all ancient history now. And the point that I started this long-winded post to make is...that while I find all of these mars anomalies quite interesting, and always enjoy the speculation that adorns the topic,...I have to say that, though a steadfast-believer in the ETH!...I've seen nothing or heared nothing to make me believe that there is anything at all in the many photographs and anecdotes that are being churned out, (production-line like)about there is or ever have been signs of intelligent-life on Mars!(or the moon for that matter!)
But the phenomena of belief in the subject is growing and seems to be getting stronger , daily!...And I wondered if there was another reason for this? (other than the obvious book deals for some, and the 15 mins of fame for others)
And the reason that I came up with in my tiny little mind, is perhaps as  way-out and whacky than the worst conspiracy theorists! LOL!
For it is my contention that it is 'That Damned Deceitful NASA' that is behind all of this!!
In short, my theory is that ,the bosses at NASA decided that it was the best way to get the tight fisted government of the USA, to hand over the nessessary funds for a couple of jaunts to our neighbouring planet!...Wet the publics appetite by drip-feeding the theorists a few natural but anomalous-looking photographs, thereby lighting the blue touch-paper, and then standing back, making sure that the 'delayed debunkery' raises suspicion, and then eventually the mounting pressure from the public out-cry may force Uncle Sam's purse strings to unfasten!!

Crazy idea??...Yes it is!...But I enjoyed sharing it anyway!! LOL!

Cheers.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

#11    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostTaut, on 10 June 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

I would not, however, be surprised to learn there was once a civilization on Mars.  4 or 5 billion years?  Oh yeah, plenty of time for it to have come and gone.

That would be awesome.

But, I think we should wait for something a little more scientific than stuff that "looks" like faces, canals and praying women.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#12    Robbo

Robbo

Psychic Spy

• 1,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

People still cracking on about that face? I thought it was re-done with a hi-res camera and proven to be nothing.

"When you've done things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - God entity

#13    BrandOfAmber

BrandOfAmber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Life is the lust of the lamp for the light that is dark till the dawn of the day that we die...

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hazzard, you don't need to wait, Richard Hoagland and his team at the Enterprise Mission have been examining this subject for decades.  You can agree with his conclusions or not, but there is no debate that what Richard does is Science at its finest.  He follows the method, makes a priori predictions that are then tested against further data, and he revises theories based upon evidence observed.

In my view, the D&M Pyramid is the smoking gun.  Internal geometry such as that displayed within the Cydonia complex does not appear in nature, it appears from design.  

In nature growth happens in fractal patterns.  (This might be difficult to fathom at first, but seriously, research it until you fully understand...)  Straight lines that last for miles, and 90 degree angles don't come from nature.  And neither do 5 sided pyramids that are geometrically aligned in a city-scape with other pyramids, and the 'face'.  

In the Science of statistics, each anamoly added to the equation increases the possibility of artificiality exponentially.  

From a clearly Scientific point of view, Cydonia is not a natural plateau.

#14    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

View PostBrandOfAmber, on 10 June 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

Hazzard, you don't need to wait, Richard Hoagland and his team at the Enterprise Mission have been examining this subject for decades.  You can agree with his conclusions or not, but there is no debate that what Richard does is Science at its finest.  He follows the method, makes a priori predictions that are then tested against further data, and he revises theories based upon evidence observed.

In my view, the D&M Pyramid is the smoking gun.  Internal geometry such as that displayed within the Cydonia complex does not appear in nature, it appears from design.  

In nature growth happens in fractal patterns.  (This might be difficult to fathom at first, but seriously, research it until you fully understand...)  Straight lines that last for miles, and 90 degree angles don't come from nature.  And neither do 5 sided pyramids that are geometrically aligned in a city-scape with other pyramids, and the 'face'.  

In the Science of statistics, each anamoly added to the equation increases the possibility of artificiality exponentially.  

From a clearly Scientific point of view, Cydonia is not a natural plateau.

Richard Hoagland... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :tu:

Wait... that was a joke, right?  :unsure2:

Edited by Hazzard, 10 June 2011 - 05:28 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#15    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,738 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

View PostHazzard, on 10 June 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Richard Hoagland... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :tu:

Wait... that was a joke, right?  :unsure2:
I hope so, even Hoagland doesn't believe his 'face' theory anymore...  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users