Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Shepal

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

In an earth quake you should get out of any structures and go to an open area.

--- schools teach children to huddle under desks.

If Somone one is shooting at you, you should run like hell.

----- schools teach our children to huddle in corners.

If there is a tornado warning you should sit in your car and drive away from the wall cloud or get under ground.

----- again we teach our children to hide in exposed buildings.

It makes me sick. Kids are dieing because people are Shepal. Are these recommendations that they have in schools based on any kind of real statistical analysis or are they just afraid of lawsuits from loosing a kid thrown on a bus during a tornado warning. 7 kids drown to death yesterday in a puddle traped inside their school. How hard is it to throw them in cars or busses and drive them away from the dark part of the sky.

Urrrrggggggg. I'm not so sure humans are the smartest species. At least wild animals know to run from destruction. Only the ones that live under ground hide and huddle. And defiantly not when the fox finds its way in.

Urrrrrgggggggg!!!!

Edited by Seeker79, 21 May 2013 - 04:08 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 21 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Urrrrggggggg. I'm not so sure humans are the smartest species.

We're not.

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 21 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

In an earth quake you should get out of any structures and go to an open area.

--- schools teach children to huddle under desks.
Thats the idea, run around a building trying to get out while debris is falling around you.

If Somone one is shooting at you, you should run like hell.

----- schools teach our children to huddle in corners.
Shooting at you? Yes. Shooting at someone else? Sure run if you want to draw attention and become the next target.

Edited by Rlyeh, 21 May 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Lots of people are sheepal, just in different ways according to the type of koolaid you drink.

#5    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

There isn't that much warning for any of these things... a matter of minutes usually.  No one is going to evacuate entire schools to who knows where every time there is a bad storm with the potential for tornadoes.

How exactly are all the school busses supposed to drive to the school, all the kids supposed to get to them, and they all drive away in a safer direction in a matter of minutes?

The shooting thing? Yah.. I always wondered why people ducked down and huddled... just creates a nice, tight target for the gunman.

Embrace the impossible.

#6    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,300 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I deeply sympathise with the victims and families, but the only place to get out of the way of a tornado is under ground, don't any of these schools have tornado proof cellars 10 to 15 minutes warning should be enough time to get the kids to safety.I wish I could help the survivors.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostPurplos, on 21 May 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

There isn't that much warning for any of these things... a matter of minutes usually.  No one is going to evacuate entire schools to who knows where every time there is a bad storm with the potential for tornadoes.

How exactly are all the school busses supposed to drive to the school, all the kids supposed to get to them, and they all drive away in a safer direction in a matter of minutes?

The shooting thing? Yah.. I always wondered why people ducked down and huddled... just creates a nice, tight target for the gunman.
I would. School is canceled everytime there is the potential for storms.  It would not be that hard to have an evacuation plan if warnings come up. If I lived in that part of the country my children would be with me when tornado warnings were up. It should  also be coded into all schools to have storm basements. Not that hard really. Especially in tornado ally. These storms will happen no sense in huddling in a bathroom with your fingers crossed.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 May 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Thats the idea, run around a building trying to get out while debris is falling around you.

Shooting at you? Yes. Shooting at someone else? Sure run if you want to draw attention and become the next target.

Ok you sit in the house comeing down around you ;), I'll be outside in less than ten seconds.

Moving targets  are exponentially harder to hit with more distance than sitting ducks. That's why we have the clique "sitting ducks". ;)

Bruce Lee-

#9    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube....h?v=NjQM18JA9s4

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,482 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

The school did not have an underground shelter. This I do not understand.
Have been made aware that some parts can not have underground bunkers because of the ground, but many of the houses do have them. its not as if its a small piece of land, when they build in a high risk area the buildings should only be build on the ground which is suitable to build a cellar...especially the school!

These tornados are not new, but the amount of people living there has grown because the houses are cheap, sorry to say this, but you pay a far higher price with your life when you live without the proper protection in tornado area.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 21 May 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

Ok you sit in the house comeing down around you ;), I'll be outside in less than ten seconds.
And how do you get a class full of kids out in ten seconds? Let alone an entire school.

Edited by Rlyeh, 21 May 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 21 May 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

I deeply sympathise with the victims and families, but the only place to get out of the way of a tornado is under ground, don't any of these schools have tornado proof cellars 10 to 15 minutes warning should be enough time to get the kids to safety.I wish I could help the survivors.
I agree that if the tornado is on top of you and is imminent, you should be underground. But how many times does a storm follow the road? just drive away from the dam thing.  I'd rather be sitting in my car with the radio on watching the sky. Tornado comes from my right, I go left at 60-80 mph, comes from the right I go left. There probably isn't any real statistical data to proove this... But Id be willing to bet my life on it. Now consider this in aggregate. If it were the recommended policy to leave your house and be on the road everyone would do it. Now we have trafic congestion and if you are stuck in traffic then you are even worse off. It's in the interest of the authorities to keep everyone safe, it's in your interest to keep yourself and family safe. Problem of course is in rule areas where the recommendation is probably in nobody's best interest other than to maintain the illusion that you are safer huddled in your house.

Edited by Seeker79, 21 May 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Bruce Lee-

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 May 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

And how do you get a class full of kids out in ten seconds? Let alone an entire school.
Practice.

Bruce Lee-

#14    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,453 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 May 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well, there's logic there, in that people scatering in all directions make it much harder for someone to hit than if they were all gathered together.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Well, there's logic there, in that people scatering in all directions make it much harder for someone to hit than if they were all gathered together.
The zebra defense.

Bruce Lee-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users