Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Edge Of Space Microbes Revived

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    News-Bot

News-Bot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 10:49 AM

Microbes collected from the edge of space have been brought back to life in the lab.

This enabled the high-flying organisms to be identified, almost two years after they were found in air samples collected by a weather balloon cruising at 41,000 metres (135,000 feet) over southern India.

The two species of bacteria (B. simplex, S. pasteuri) and one fungus (E. albus) are similar to common ground-dwelling microbes which lurk in soil and vegetation, says Milton Wainwright of the University of Sheffield, UK, who worked out how to culture the cells.

How the bugs got there is not known, but there are three possibilities: they were carried up on winds, they sneaked into the samples on Earth or they have flown through space and are aliens making their way down to our planet.

[ Click Here To View The Complete Article ]                                                

#2    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (News-Bot @ Dec 18 2002, 05:49 AM)
they have flown through space and are aliens making their way down to our planet.

scared.gif   We're being invaded   scared.gif                                                  

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#3    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 05:15 AM

im sure there are scarier fungi and bacteria on your body, Homer, than the ones coming from space  laugh.gif                                                

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#4    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:56 AM

Lol at DSchwartz laugh.gif

I have Friendly Bacteria in my body, according to the lable on my Yogurt drink biggrin.gif
And definetly no nasty Fungi. wacko.gif                                                  

#5    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:58 PM

laugh.gif  @ DSchwartz

Perhaps you're right biggrin.gif                                                

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users