Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Golden Rule

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

View Postmanbearpigg, on 29 January 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

...."THE GOLDEN RULE" (eye for an eye)....It seems to me that the golden rule is the oldest and only unifying element in ALL our religions. (maybe except some crazy empathy-lacking cults)
............Lets start a new religion free from money, leadership, and control.............

1- Jesus TRASHED the Old Testament's 'eye for eye' rule (Matt 5:38/39).. :)
2- Christianity ALREADY trashes money, leadership and control, so why do we need another religion? Look-

"Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit"- 2 Cor 2:17

"Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care,  not lording it over those entrusted to you..." -1 Peter 5:2-3

Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me,......You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends" Matt 23:10, John 15:15

Posted Image

Edited by Crikey, 31 January 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#17    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

My golden rule is do unto others ........ I've always been more concerned with my own moral/ethical code than something put before me that was formulated by someone else. IMHO, unless it comes from within ourselves, it has little value and is difficult to sustain.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,387 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

I would like to put in a good word for old Immanuel Kant and his "ethical imperative."  It's a little less elegant than some of the others posted above, but I think it works better and is more practical, and, more important, as an extremely strong logical basis.

Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law.

Now Kant is not famous for being an easy read, but this shouldn't be too hard if you read it several times.

#19    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

It's interesting. I am 60 years old and i had never heard that this was the golden rule until this post. Wikipedia seems to comnfirm it, but i bravely suggest that it is not the true golden rule, or standard by which humans should live. Fom birth I was taught by family  schools society and life that the golden laws is this.  Love thy neighbour as thy self

Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".[9] In his commentary to the Torah verse (Hebrew: "ואהבת לרעך כמוך" ca.1300 BCE):

You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your kinsfolk. Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:18[10], the "Great Commandment"

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Golden_Rule

(which apears as a subset of the wiki version)

To me the "eye for an eye" is a more primitive  concept which has regained popularity in  our modern individualist world.

In a civilised modern world, I would hope that the version based on love would prevail. It requires one first to understand and love oneself, something more primitive versions do not.  They are based only on a sense of justice or equality of crime and recompense
Only when one truly understands and loves oneself, can one truly love, and treat, another as they would prefer to be treated.
I wouldnt argue that eye for a eye is not an earlier form of law, but in my opinion it is not a golden standard to live by, and thus not the golden rule of humanity. In modern times we would not just all end up blind, but dead, if this law was applied.

Edited by Mr Walker, 02 February 2013 - 11:41 PM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#20    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I think that old eye for an eye business is just a way to justify acting out in a negative way. I don't think it worked well in the way back machine any better than it works now.

#21    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostBeany, on 03 February 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

I think that old eye for an eye business is just a way to justify acting out in a negative way. I don't think it worked well in the way back machine any better than it works now.
Like all laws it had the benefit of codifying and regulating behaviours within a society. Thus even the vikings,  within their communities, had a code based on this, where an offender had several choices Pay a gold price or make some recompense for harm done to another.

If you could not, or would not, live by this code you were exiled or at times killed, because a person who would not live by the law presented an unpredictable, but constant, danger to those who did. It was better than chaos or anarchy, or the rule of strength and power. (Although the latter still applied in many societies as an alternative to compensation eg trial by combat)

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users