Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Editing someone else's post

Q-C

I just edited someone else's post, accidentally, I quoted it and then didn't move down enough when I replied.

This has never happened before. Have you always been able to edit someone else's post when you quote it?

Where: Thread, "So, mountain Monster... BS" under Crypto forum.

You can see Hida Akechi's post I quoted. I was able to accidentally add to it. I've erased my words from Akechi's quote.

Post #121

Nevermind, I guess if I can delete parts of a quote I can also add to it.

It just never happened before

:blush: :blush: :blush::st

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

I like bugs and peanut butter sandwiches.

I AM the puppetmaster!

• Like 8

Hey QC, yes it happens...and you could edit a quote at will, but probably shouldn't be able to. :whistle:

You get a gold star for honesty. :tu:

• Like 3

I've done so to remove blank lines and linked images just so it is all not being reposted multiple times.

• Like 3

I've done so to remove blank lines and linked images just so it is all not being reposted multiple times, because I dress in Tutus and dance with pink elephants.

Yes, especially when someone posts a wall of text and you only want to address a single point they made. You have to have the ability to edit what you're directly responding to. We just have to be honest.

My bad.

• Like 3

You can QC and when you get good at it you can make it say about anything from anyone.

I AM the spaghetti monster!

No you can't be because I AM the spaghetti monster!

• Like 3

But it's not advisable to do what I just did in a debate situation. We're all trusted to do the right thing.

• Like 2

Yes, especially when someone posts a wall of text and you only want to address a single point they made. You have to have the ability to edit what you're directly responding to. We just have to be honest.

My plaid underoos are nifty.

Don't be starting something.

• Like 3

You live and you learn......

• Like 1

I usually remove the video links and the images when I quote someone to avoid spamming the thread with unnecessary content.

I usually insert ellipsis where material is removed, the dot dot dot.

Edited by stereologist
  • Like 2

LOL!!!

One of those days weeks months years lifetimes... :whistle:

You guys ever need any help just pm me. :w00t::no:

The quote feature includes a link to the quoted post, this icon snapback.png takes you to it.

It should be easy to tell if your quote doesn't match the post.

• Like 1

Don't be starting something.

But, plaid is my favourite colour. :)

• Like 1

..and now you're the "Bug Whisperer"? I KNEW it!

I just edited someone else's post, accidentally, I quoted it and then didn't move down enough when I replied.

This has never happened before. Have you always been able to edit someone else's post when you quote it?

Where: Thread, "So, mountain Monster... BS" under Crypto forum.

You can see Hida Akechi's post I quoted. I was able to accidentally add to it. I've erased my words from Akechi's quote.

Post #121

Nevermind, I guess if I can delete parts of a quote I can also add to it.

It just never happened before

:blush: :blush: :blush::st

It is actually a good thing.

You may want to quote someone, and are just concentrating on one sentence of a 6 paragraph quote. You can delete all but that sentence and put " snip " under it.

Sometimes, I will quotes someone, and if that quote has 4 or more " questions " I will " edit " by answering in red under each one.

So, it is useful for those things.

Now, to edit someones quote, and make it say something they did not say, pretty sure that would be a big no no....But could be amusing. ( never done it, never would )

• Like 3

...Now, to edit someones quote, and make it say something they did not say, pretty sure that would be a big no no....But could be amusing. ( never done it, never would )

I checked the rules and there is no rule. But we all agree that you shouldn't do it. What a can of worms that'd be!

• Like 2

I usually chop the crud out of other people's posts, especially if they get long winded and there is just specific elements that I want to reply to. As long as I don't change the words, I think that is fine...?

• Like 1

I wear plaid underoo tutus, eating bug and peanut butter sandwiches while dancing with pink elephants.

Yeah, Sakari. It is amusing in a strange sort of way. Then again, I'm easily amused. :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

It is actually a good thing.

You may want to quote someone, and are just concentrating on one sentence of a 6 paragraph quote. You can delete all but that sentence and put " snip " under it.

Sometimes, I will quotes someone, and if that quote has 4 or more " questions " I will " edit " by answering in red under each one.

So, it is useful for those things.

Now, to edit someones quote, and make it say something they did not say, pretty sure that would be a big no no....But could be amusing. ( never done it, never would )

Yes, I do delete part of quotes often to shorten or to address one point, I just never inserted my words into a quote and then hit post before. So when Adeki's quote had my words inserted in it, I was like "Whoa!".

Then, after engaging my brain, after starting this thread, I had a "Duh" moment!

*back to looking for that penny in the "corner" *

• Like 1

..and now you're the "Bug Whisperer"? I KNEW it!

Our brains being the same size and all, we connect...what can I say?

• Like 1

But, plaid g-string panties are my favourite to wear out to dinner

• Like 3

There is no harm omitting material from a post so long as what you omit doesn't change the meaning. I do this for the long-winded folk (although truth be told I rarely read anything more than three paragraphs). It's best to avoid omitting stuff in the middle of a sentence and if you do be sure to put ellipses in to show it.

I have noticed some people boldface the parts being quoted that they remark on. This is not standard and could be deemed changing the meaning subtly, but I suppose so long as one attaches a "boldface mine" it is fair enough.

• Like 1

It's kind of weird, how you can change what someone said. If you were in a fight with lazy people, you could quote them as saying whatever you like but they may never go to check the original post :o

• Like 1