Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dislike button

Lucas Cooper Merrin

Following the announcement of a certain popular social media site adding a dislike button along side the like button, would the Unexplained mysteries forums benifit from this feature? Possibly with the added feature of removing from the total "likes" count that all members have, or adding a "dislike" count.

Thoughts??

Personaly I'm all for it

Edited by Father Merrin

i believe this was brought up before.

i think it's not an option because it's overtly negative.

Not pressing the like button is the same thing, in a way. Just nicer.

• Like 5

I can see your point of why to add a dislike button but i see no advantage to it on this site...

If i disagree with someone we can debate the topic or i can just ignore it altogether,we have a star rating system on here for topics and i have seen some sour ass people who never participate in a conversation hit 1 star when everybody on said topic has interest and is having a good time lol.

I'm sure some who have nothing better to do with their time would love to sit here all day hitting dislike on things they never even read just because someone disagreed with them once

months back haha.

Ever noticed how cliq'ish some tend to be on here sometimes?It's a nightmare waiting to happen ;)

• Like 6

No no no no dearie me no. Why the hell are face book doing it? Surely with everything there's been about online bullying, that's an absolutely crazy idea.

• Like 4

But why allow the option to show your approval or agreement but not the choice to show your dissatisfaction or offence to a post! I think it would reduce aggravation as people could just press dislike instead of writing a personal and argumentative reply!

• Like 3

I don't like the idea and would not use it. That this site doesn't have one is one of the reasons I came here.

• Like 1

But writing a personal and argumentative reply does at least compel people to explain what they disagreed with. Our local paper website has the "like/dislike" button function, and there's nothing more annoying than to post a comment and to see like six thumbs down, but none of the thumbs downers have bothered to explain why they disagreed. It really doesn't contribute to discussion.

• Like 3

But writing a personal and argumentative reply does at least compel people to explain what they disagreed with. Our local paper website has the "like/dislike" button function, and there's nothing more annoying than to post a comment and to see like six thumbs down, but none of the thumbs downers have bothered to explain why they disagreed. It really doesn't contribute to discussion.

Following that theory the same could be said for the "like" button.

I think both like and dislike should be available or nothing at all

Following that theory the same could be said for the "like" button.

I think both like and dislike should be available or nothing at all

Not really I don't think; "Like" is fairly straightforward in that it means they agree with the sentiments expressed. "Dislike" could mean that they disagree with one or more of the sentiments or ideas, that they think you shouldn't be allowed to express that opinion at all, or that they're just trolling and wish to annoy you.
  • Like 1

If this was a site ran by North Korea then i could understand limiting peoples options, but as its a Uk/USA ran site, i would have thought it would empower freedom of speech and opinion, and embrace democracy. If you allow people to say yes then in turn you must allow them to say no.

I dont think im talking out of turn here, surely its only fair to have both options?

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 1

By all means let people say no, but surely it's more helpful for them to have to explain why they say no? Take this thread for example; isn't it more helpful for people to explain why they don't like the idea, than just a big red thumbs down?

Edited by Norbert the Powerful

If this was a site ran by North Korea then i could understand limiting peoples options, but as its a Uk/USA ran site, i would have thought it would empower freedom of speech and opinion, and embrace democracy. If you allow people to say yes then in turn you must allow them to say no.

I dont think im talking out of turn here, surely its only fair to have both options?

There are sites that have it, and even allow people to give and take points based on various algorithms (usually something to do with contributions to the operator of the site). If you like that sort of thing then go there. I like this one the way it is.

There are sites that have it, and even allow people to give and take points based on various algorithms (usually something to do with contributions to the operator of the site). If you like that sort of thing then go there. I like this one the way it is.

No need to get touchy about it Frank! Im only putting the idea out there!

• Like 1

No need to get touchy about it Frank! Im only putting the idea out there!

If I come across as touchy it is unintended I assure you. Blame my lack of feel for the subtleties of English (makes a good excuse).
  • Like 4

Will narcissists be able to survive knowing that others ain't blinded by the sheer perfection and absolute beauty that is their lives?

I may just die holding my breath until this question is answered............in full....................duck-face..............glory

i post on some websites that use disqus, which has a dislike feature.

except they've made any dislikes invisible, because they caused too much bitterness and resentment, and were easily piled on by trolls trying to erase posts. (posts are often autoarranged by "best" to "worst" based on likes. which is also a terrible system.)

a dislike button is a terrible idea; it has never worked well on any social media.

i'm not big on like buttons either, honestly.

or people.

cats are nice.

• Like 5

except they've made any dislikes invisible, because they caused too much bitterness and resentment, and were easily piled on by trolls trying to erase posts. (posts are often autoarranged by "best" to "worst" based on likes. which is also a terrible system.)

a dislike button is a terrible idea; it has never worked well on any social media.

or people.

cats are nice.

I can see your point with the option being misused by trolls,

But i use various other sites that use like/dislike buttons and it doesn't have any negative effects! Its a good way of judging the credibility of users! Its not long in identifying troublemakers and antagonists when they are collecting many dislikes for their posts.

or people.

cats are nice.

i agree with your post .... a like Button encourages people to be nice or well spoken to achieve a lot of likes ( in the sense of psychology ) a dislike Button is prone to negativity and can result in other people being bullied or if the mass see a persons post disliked so much, others may think twice to give a like . its a psychological issue .

Edited by YA AMAR

I like getting "likes" because they help me adjust how I word things (although direct advice would be better no one wants to do that), but I will say that they don't really reveal much, since if you post a lot on certain threads you get a lot more "likes" than other threads.

I would not use a "dislike" button (Golden Rule and all that), so I think a dislike button is by its very nature selective and misleading.

• Like 2

I like getting "likes" because they help me adjust how I word things (although direct advice would be better no one wants to do that), but I will say that they don't really reveal much, since if you post a lot on certain threads you get a lot more "likes" than other threads.

I would not use a "dislike" button (Golden Rule and all that), so I think a dislike button is by its very nature selective and misleading.

But only having "likes" isn't giving a true representation of an individual!

There should be likes and dislikes or nothing at all!

• Like 1

But only having "likes" isn't giving a true representation of an individual!

There should be likes and dislikes or nothing at all!

I see what you mean, but I kinda take it a little differently. "Likes" are more of a hand-wave than a statement of endorsement. Indeed if a person says something well, even though I disagree, I often hit the button. It's just being friendly, although of course one doesn't want to be excessive.
  • Like 1

I see what you mean, but I kinda take it a little differently. "Likes" are more of a hand-wave than a statement of endorsement. Indeed if a person says something well, even though I disagree, I often hit the button. It's just being friendly, although of course one doesn't want to be excessive.

I suppose its about how we define the "like" button,

I prefer to use it if i am in agreement with a statement, if its a well constructed argument, or its a witty and intelligent comeback,

But i would also like the option to dislike a rude or personal attack, blatant nonsense, or something i strongly disagree with.

• Like 2

I suppose its about how we define the "like" button,

I prefer to use it if i am in agreement with a statement, if its a well constructed argument, or its a witty and intelligent comeback,

But i would also like the option to dislike a rude or personal attack, blatant nonsense, or something i strongly disagree with.

As I said earlier, you have that option by including it in your response. By the way, a rude or personal attack should be reported -- the monitors cannot read everything and they need the help.

Maybe I'm just afraid there are people who won't like me!!! I have to say such a button might have a self-censoring effect in causing us to be less honest in our views, and hence work against honest exchange.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just afraid there are people who won't like me!!!

Well there is that i suppose! I dare say i would have clocked up a few dislikes by now.......on second thoughts lets not bother with the dislike option....my mistake....

As you were cadets

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 1