Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Grocery loyalty card purchases surveilled by

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 04 March 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Whats the point of eating vegetables for 30 years if my reward is 30 more years of vegetable eating?

The "feeling more healthy" thing includes a whole lot of things, like being happier about yourself (better mood and conscience), more confidence, strength, stamina, energy, better concentration which can make you more appealing, can improve sex... I mean it's one thing to get laid, and the quality is another. And you can still eat some damn good food too, but just ditch the wheat and excess non-nutritios carb and especially most of the sugar.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#17    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,595 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 04 March 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

The "feeling more healthy" thing includes a whole lot of things, like being happier about yourself (better mood and conscience), more confidence, strength, stamina, energy, better concentration which can make you more appealing, can improve sex... I mean it's one thing to get laid, and the quality is another. And you can still eat some damn good food too, but just ditch the wheat and excess non-nutritios carb and especially most of the sugar.

I might have to post a photo of myself after that joke. Now everyone is gonna think i'm a lard **** who has diabetes.

#18    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,976 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

they had to call them  loyalty cards ?      truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.    ...  but, whatever happened to being  "Secure in your person.. AND papers  and all that?
   Why wouldn't this be a simple invasion of privacy ?    No such thing as privacy anymore?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#19    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,553 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

A simply solution to this: always pay in cash :whistle:

#20    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 04 March 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

I might have to post a photo of myself after that joke. Now everyone is gonna think i'm a lard **** who has diabetes.
fatty fatty fat fat,
fatty fatty fat fat!
:-D

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#21    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,372 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 04 March 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

LMAO sorry about that wasnt trying to point the finger at you :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#22    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 04 March 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

can improve sex... I mean it's one thing to get laid, and the quality is another.
is there such a thing as crap sex??
i've always had a whale of a time, and haven't cried during sex for, ooh...., days now....!
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#23    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,372 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postshrooma, on 04 March 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

i've always had a whale of a time, and haven't cried during sex for, ooh...., days now....!

:lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#24    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

they had to call them  loyalty cards ?   truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. ...  but, whatever happened to being  "Secure in your person.. AND papers  and all that?
   Why wouldn't this be a simple invasion of privacy ? No such thing as privacy anymore?

Its another one of our frequently violated Constitutional Rights

#25    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

well, you don't have to fill out your real name and adress on such cards, the store wont know the difference. it isn't like they check anyway.
That's true, but if you even once pay with debit then they know who you are from that point on.  Good luck paying cash every time you go to the store.

#26    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postshrooma, on 04 March 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

NOT ALL OF US HAVE A PERFECT 100% PERFORMANCE MR PERFECT. NO IM NOT JEALOUS OR ANYTHING

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#27    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 March 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

That's true, but if you even once pay with debit then they know who you are from that point on.  Good luck paying cash every time you go to the store.
no they wont.

one thing  store records you gave them yourself, other thing is financial info that does not belong to the store.

Edited by aztek, 04 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#28    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

no they wont.
Yes they will, your store card has a number, if you pay with debit it accesses your bank account, giving the store the name of ther person using the debit card.  Once that happens they know who owns that store card.

Edited by OverSword, 04 March 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#29    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 04 March 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Its another one of our frequently violated Constitutional Rights
Well yea if the Feds are using that info. Otherwise, like someone else said, it's probably in the fine print when you sign up to sell the info if they are selling it.
Some call them loyalty cards just to say that when you receive coupons and special offers via mail it's because of your loyalty. I've always seen these cards as a marketing thing. I know they are. My first job, in '96, was a grocery store and I think they may have been the ones who invented these cards because it was several years before I ever seen any other store use these cards but eventually they were everywhere. The chain is called Giant Eagle and they call it an Advantage Card. Use them and get discounts. Not on everything, just items marked as such. The only tracking I ever noticed or heard of was whenever a customer checked out random coupons would print along side of the receipts for items they may have purchased in the past. Of course it was at the end of the order so they'd have to come back to shop again so they could use the coupons. Also in the fall they would track your purchases so that if you spent so many hundreds before Thanksgiving you'd get a coupon for a free turkey or $20 off a purchase!
These guys are marketing geniuses. Several years ago the same grocery chain got into the gas station/convenient store business. Now, for every $50 you spend at their stores you get 10 cents of per gallon of gas at their gas stations. Doesn't sound like much but it does add up. Anyhow, both their grocery stores and their gas stations are always packed. They've created very loyal customers that way and many of them at that. One last thing about using your real name on the cards. You probably don't need to but you need to use the Advantage Card to pay by check and so both names had to match. Far as I know the reason was to keep track of those who write bad checks and it worked. Also, they offer check cashing services at their service desk which required an advantage card matching the name on the check. They've also used the card to bust and fire employees who use their advantage card while making purchases with let's say an already used coupon for a free turkey or $20 off a purchase. Trust me.
Now I shop at a different store that's closer and less busy which also has its own card. The difference however is at this store I get the card discounts even without a card. I don't know about their check cashing, don't need to, but the only reason for their card is to get gas discounts at affiliated gas stations. I can't take the cards anymore though. Everywhere I go they want to give you a card and I mean everywhere. It's ridiculous.

I can't believe how long of a post I just made about this but that's the extent of my knowledge about these cards and figured I'd share.

Edit: btw it wasn't me who got in trouble for coupon theft. I meant 'trust me' as in I seen it happen.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 04 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Posted Image

#30    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 March 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Yes they will, your store card has a number, if you pay with debit it accesses your bank account, giving the store the name of ther person using the debit card.  Once that happens they know who owns that store card.
no they wont, anyone could be paying for my stuff, doesn't mean it is my card, that paid for it. i know how stroes can use and can't use financial info, and they can't use it the way you described.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users