Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why don't cars have spare tyres any more?

spare tyre cars flat tyre motor manufacturers

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 07 November 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

The Mule's getting feisty! ;)

Damn right I'm ....feisty...I know for a FACT that its about weight reduction. Anybody wants to say otherwise they can go ahead and live in their little fantasy land where they're always right.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 07 November 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Its not 50% more mpg, its one here, one there. You really think its about saving sixty bucks on a 30 grand auto?

I only worked in the business for 14  years, with people who do design, so yeah, you guys should know more than me.

They save even more on a 6o grand care as long as they sell enough of them. Given the amount of BMW 7er sold if you save $1 per unit you end up with millions. And that is what gives manager a bonus: millions made additionally.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

They save even more on a 6o grand care as long as they sell enough of them. Given the amount of BMW 7er sold if you save $1 per unit you end up with millions. And that is what gives manager a bonus: millions made additionally.

Dude....which part of "I was in the business" did you not understand? Its about weight, not money. The customers would gladly pay for a real tire. Just this once you have to admit that somebody knows more about something than you do.

Posted Image

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 08 November 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Dude....which part of "I was in the business" did you not understand? Its about weight, not money. The customers would gladly pay for a real tire. Just this once you have to admit that somebody knows more about something than you do.

We know, they are all philanthropists that put the common good ahead of money. I would be the only industry in the world that is not about money, and then about money again and then about what can make them more money.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 November 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

We know, they are all philanthropists that put the common good ahead of money. I would be the only industry in the world that is not about money, and then about money again and then about what can make them more money.

When I say its not about money, I mean the cost of the spare tire, which is what your contention was. Obviously, mpg is all about money too.

Posted Image

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 08 November 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

When I say its not about money, I mean the cost of the spare tire, which is what your contention was. Obviously, mpg is all about money too.

If somebody creates an inconvenience for the customers to save less than one hundredth of the weight of an object he should be fired... well unless in Detroit, they are mostly incapable.

about me

#22    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 November 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

If somebody creates an inconvenience for the customers to save less than one hundredth of the weight of an object he should be fired... well unless in Detroit, they are mostly incapable.

Apparently you haven't noticed, but its not just the spare tire. Everything in your car is smaller and lighter than it was forty years ago.

Posted Image

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 08 November 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Apparently you haven't noticed, but its not just the spare tire. Everything in your car is smaller and lighter than it was forty years ago.

Yes, but as you have noticed the comfort for the user increased,except there where they could save some money.

about me

#24    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 November 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Yes, but as you have noticed the comfort for the user increased,except there where they could save some money.

Are you familiar with the term "straight from the horses mouth?"

Posted Image

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,009 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 08 November 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Oh, you real name is Akerson?

about me

#26    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostTaun, on 07 November 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Here in the States we call those "emergency wheels" donuts... and while they are only rated for about 50 miles or so you can see people blithely driving around for months with three normal tires (as we spell it over here) and one of the donuts - they look like they are horribly unbalanced...  I wish the police would issue warnings for those people - they just are not safe...
They are not safe,Ive seen them break after 35 miles,Really depends on how fast your going,One time I saw a car on 4 doughnuts going down the street and into a tire shop,I asked the guy what happened and he said someone stole his rims but had the common curtisy to replace them with doughnuts,Lucky they had mercy and didn't want to have him stranded.

#27    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,142 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 08 November 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Well, to be honest, an insider wouldn’t admit they denied essential spare part to their customers in order to rip them off some more.
Of course they’ll say they have put you in criminal inconvenience (a car without spare tyre? WTF?!) for your convenience (a fraction lighter car, needs a drop of fuel less).
So, here’s one shoe for you. Hop on one foot to the store to buy the other one and complete the pair. I did that for your convenience because being one shoe lighter you’ll hop easier.    

I wouldn’t buy a car without space designed to carry spare tyre, spare tyre and tools with jack included, naturally. It’s not a full car without said things.
What’s next?
Here’s your new car with no seats, it makes it lighter. If you really insist, we can sell you seats too. But you could put few plastic garden chairs in there, they are so light you’ll save so much on fuel you’ll be able to buy seat belts that we sell separately.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Laurent did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#28    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Fine...don't believe me. Enjoy your own little circle jerk.

Posted Image

#29    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,142 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Behold the science, leaving the room all offended.

Not everyone wants to have their car with one deflated tyre and nothing else wrong towed to repair shop. It's insane. Unless you crap money every morning and don't want to ruin your nails while changing a tyre.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Laurent did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#30    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,008 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

The bottom line is that the law requires that they provide you with a spare tire (for new car purchases - used cars are another game entirely)... And that is what they do...

It is provided as an emergency spare and it does fulfill that purpose...  Drivers/car owners are responsible for getting the flat fixed and or replacing it with a 'real tire' in a timely fashion... It is not the car dealer/manufacturers responsibility to do so...

Why they went with the 'donut' is immaterial to the fact that a RESPONSIBLE car owner will only use it in emergencies and will replace it with a properly sized tire...

Drivers who insist on driving around excessively on one of these tires are asking for problems, and should be issued warnings by the police (IMO) - Might be hard to figure out how long they've been driving around on them - but that doesn't mean that they don't deserve a warning...

A good used tire and rim is a heck of a lot less expensive in time and money than a tow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users