Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What is lurking the bottom of the ocean?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Sufjan

Sufjan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

I really like the idea of a gigantic seamonster like prehistoric animals or Cthulhu, but what's really there? I remember the bloop and it really sounds interesting, but I wonder if the ocean is big enough for really big fish to hide from mankind and if it's scientifically possible for larger than usual sea animals.

Edited by Alex Smith, 14 May 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,970 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

This dino fish has been hiding from mankind for a long long time :

This is the astounding coelacanth ("see-la-kanth"), the fusion of life and time, that following a supposed extinction of 65 million years, head-lined into human consciousness with its discovery alive in 1938.

link

Posted Image

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#3    Sufjan

Sufjan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, that's really cool, so it's possible for animals to grow that big on the bottom? Is there a natural restriction under that pressure?

#4    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I used to find trilobites really interesting when I was a kid for some reason... So yeh, here's a +1 for hoping some long time extinct organism is still crawling around down there.

#5    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Marine dinosaurs would seem very likely, to me at least.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostAlex Smith, on 14 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

Yeah, that's really cool, so it's possible for animals to grow that big on the bottom? Is there a natural restriction under that pressure?
Sleeper shark would be the largest I guess.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostAlex Smith, on 14 May 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

I really like the idea of a gigantic seamonster like prehistoric animals or Cthulhu, but what's really there? I remember the bloop and it really sounds interesting, but I wonder if the ocean is big enough for really big fish to hide from mankind and if it's scientifically possible for larger than usual sea animals.

Well anything is possible and the ocean is a big place, but I doubt we're ever going to find any giant "sea monsters" living at those depths simply because there's so little to eat down there.  

As far as the bloop goes, it was solved a few months back - icequake - http://www.wired.co....-solved-sort-of

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Sufjan

Sufjan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

The bloop was solved?

Who knows how much there is to eat, when we actually discover big animals who have to feast on smaller animals? Why wouldn't bigger animals feast on the these predators, too?

Edited by Alex Smith, 14 May 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#9    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,901 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

There are lakes of tar/something that have waves and shores of their own, but are too thick for machines to enter too.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostAlex Smith, on 14 May 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

The bloop was solved?

Who knows how much there is to eat, when we actually discover big animals who have to feast on smaller animals? Why wouldn't bigger animals feast on the these predators, too?

Well this is pretty much what's there:

Abyssal food chains begin with phytoplankton detritus, fecal mattter and organic debris, rather than with living producers. Since there's no light, there aren't any photosynthetic producers. The only food, with the exception of a dead whale, cold water reefs and a few other sources, is what falls down from above.

http://www.brighthub...cles/41041.aspx

So is there a giant **** eater living down there - perhaps, but I'm not betting on it.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Wouldn't be surprised that there is something down there we know nothing about.  Wouldn't be the first time if something thought to be extinct was found.

#12    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image

Deep ocean life does look very different and almost alien at times.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#13    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Who knows? The ocean is a huge place with many animals that have yet to be discovered. It might be unlikely for a really huge animal to be undiscovered and lurking, but I guess there's still a chance it could happen. I remember seeing a video of a strange sea creature that was thought to be an unknown animal, but was a jellyfish. It was too bad, because it looked really cool.

Still, there's plenty of amazing sea creatures as it is. Have you heard of the Bobbit Worm, Frilled Shark, or the Oarfish? They're all pretty awesome.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#14    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I wonder if our submarines pick up any interesting 'blips" on sonar? It's an awful lot of water to not be hiding something law of averages you know. if we could get Jeremy wade off the damn rivers and start fishing the oceans he would sort it out and have a right smart show to boot.

"coming up on the new episode of Ocean Monsters: megalodon the real Jaws"

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#15    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

There can be no reptilians down there.... because number one on any reptiles hitlist is AIR....... yes they are air breathers, just like whales.
And we never see giant reptiles taking the necessary breaths at least once per hour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users