Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What the Romans didn't do for us

Persia

The discovery that a Roman road may in fact have been made by Iron Age Britons offers a glimpse of a far more sophisticated society than previously thought

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/16/roman-road-made-by-britons

The discovery of a metalled and cambered road dated to the first century BC in Shropshire has raised the possibility that iron age Britons were the first to build 'proper' roads

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/15/britannia-roman-roads-iron-age

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Persia

• Ozner

• Flashbangwollap

• angi chiesa

well Queen Bodacia,had a chariot. So there were wheels before the Romans arrived.VENI VIDI VICI. Julius Ceaser claimed. Please correct my spelling.

well Queen Bodacia,had a chariot. So there were wheels before the Romans arrived.VENI VIDI VICI. Julius Ceaser claimed. Please correct my spelling.

Odd thing is there are many who believe that the Trojans came from the Norfolk area and Cambridge. See Imam Wilkens "Where Troy once stood". Some say that the survivors fled to the Mediterranean and set up in Italy > Rome. However I must stress that Wilkens work is not accepted by the academics.

Oddly enough i live in Shropshire.

Pardon my offtopic, but how do you pronouce Shropshire correctly? Two or three syllables?

untill there is some dna evidence from dead people in that area connecting genetic material to areas of the mediterranean the idea of "troy" being in england is pretty much laughable. you can read research that clearly shows that the etruscans of north and central italy were related to the people of northern anatolia (turkey), creating speculation about a troy connection. their are even stories from pliny the elder and dionysus and others that there was a Lydian kingdom that was overpopulated and a long period of drought came along. to deal with the food shortage the king sent half of his population to colonize.

road building is no high tech marvel. any group of people could have figured it out, but since the romans were building lasting roads long before the road in questions time frame of 1st C BC, the engineering was probably brought there by romans during the northern conquests of Julias Ceasar in Gaul agaiunst the germans. since the depth of the aggregate and style of gutters were almost exactly the same, to conclude there are not roman is academically naive.

Pardon my offtopic, but how do you pronouce Shropshire correctly? Two or three syllables?

It's pronounced Shropsher.